5 speed conversions (non-tech) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2003, 00:19   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

5 speed conversions (non-tech)

Not worried about HOW to do a 5spd conversion (for now), what I'm interested in, is who has done this, and was it successful, unsuccessful, problem causing?

I can think of 3-4 people off the top of my head who've had at least some minor issues after doing the conversion, so I'm just wondering if anyone has done it without any problems? Has anyone paid someone to do it, and if so, did that go over a lot smoother?

Thanks,

James
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 00:23   #2 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

Re: 5 speed conversions (non-tech)

paid a wrecker to do it. cost me heaps. but no probs. (well one prob, was when i got the speed sender replaced, as it turned out i didnt have to, they didnt tighten it up enough and the gbox leaked a bit o oil onto the exhaust)

transformed the car tho. it's a beast now. best thing you could ever do to an e series falcon. (or au, even)

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Hmmm, I've been told $1300 for a wrecker to do it.. given that without excessive shopping around, I'm up for at least $1000 in parts anyway, I figure, why not
Old 12-18-2003, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

^when i say no probs, i mean no mechanical issues. note that i went through a tank o juice in less then 300 kays(i guess coz i was having so much fun... wait a sec... my economy has been like that ever since!!)

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

yeah prices can vary depending obviously on what you gte done.

I have a conversion set for a couple of months..ive been going aorund getting prices. The first place, a wreckers, wanted $1500 to do the lot. Which I thought was a fair deal. Although I dont know these guys very well so who knows whats going in.

Second place was a trusted family garage, he called some plce up to get a parts qoute, $820 for most parts, then ontop of that he said that he would recommend a new clutch and machined flywheel. So all up parts aloone come to about $1100, then he wanted $800 for labour.

It all depends on who you know, shop around though, takes a while but its well worth it.

God Damn I cant wait!!

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

i'm gonna get mine done by the joint next to my dad's work they're pretty good friends with my dad so ill get it done cheap

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Problems with mine: we forgot the clutch return spring and actually covered the punch out in the firewll for it with the firewall mod. I was drivin round and kept hearin this ticking. Sounded so much like a lifter. I finally worked out it was clutch related when i noticed it went away when the clutch was engaged. Not having the return spring put a bit of slack in the clutch cable and subsequently the throwout arm vibrated in the metal cover on the side of the bell housing. The onnly other issue is some running issues I think is related to having the auto puter (even though it is V8 and they have a sepperate auto ecu). I got told of a wee trick which I'm going to try sometime soon which might over come this
Old 12-18-2003, 04:19   #8 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

i tell ya what mate the difference between my manual xr6 and my parents auto EF XR6 is astonishing, theyre totally different beasts... the manual is soo much more aggresive and responsive... i really hope u do it, u wont regret it!!!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:57   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I paid $600 in parts, $300 in labour and a further $300 in miscellaneous expenses like a new clutch.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I've converted both an EA and my EB. It is one of the best mods for the E-Series! The EA conversion turned out to be a bit of a disaster as I was sold a dodgy box which ended up stripping the teeth on the layshaft so I lost drive in all gears.

But the EB has been sweet as! Its got an EA box in it running a 4spd auto ECU. I haven't had any troubles with idle except when I first had the box in, after a while it just idled normally.

It's really hard to know whether your getting a good box or not until it's actually in the car. I guess the only real check you can do is hold the input shaft and get an old yoke and stick it in the other end turn them in opposite directions to make sure there is not a lot of play in the box.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons