65 falcon 6 cyl to V8 swap: possible? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2003, 15:00   #1 (permalink)
domingo

65 falcon 6 cyl to V8 swap: possible?

Hi!

I have a 65 falcon 6 cylinder in the shop and I am being tempted to build a hot rod with it.

I also have a 302 engine with a 5 speed transmission which used to belong to a Mazda Monster Miata, sitting in the shop.

I was wondering if I could do a conversion on the falcon from the 6 cylinder configuration to a v8 powerplant. Could it be possible?

What would be involved?

Which would be the most cost effective way to do it?

How to make the 6 cylinder car to accept the V8? could I use another car (a mustang for example) to donate parts to the falcon so it can accept the 302? Is it a bolt in deal?

Please help me since I'm clueless...I know about mopars but I dont know squat about fords....this will be mi 1st Ford project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
walking power

Re: 65 falcon 6 cyl to V8 swap: possible?

Its not an easy task as there isnt alot of room for a V8 in the early Falcons but saying this it has been done before. Im sure Castlemaine rod shop might be able to help with engine and gearbox mounts but just remember with that extra grunt you're gonna need better brakes and maybe a steering conversion and buy this time its already cost you a fair bit.

It really depends how much you want to spend and much do you really want to use that car?????

Moving up to an xr onwards where V8's came out in these cars will simplify your situation a bit.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:31   #3 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

i have seen it done before 65 is xp im quite sure if so http://xpfalcon.kicks-ass.net/ has a fair bit of info on them im sure would help you with any probs you have being it is an xp
Old 09-29-2003, 16:49   #4 (permalink)

i think it usually involves taking a hammer to various parts on the firewall also. you'd be able to fit a windsor 351 in there, anything bigger and you'd have to remove the engine just to be able to change the plugs
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 20:52   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Hey Domingo - based on the reference to the monster miata, i presume you are in the USA?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:58   #6 (permalink)

gday
my dad has an xp coupe with the 200 and we're really interested in putting a sauscage (windsor) in it like probably a 302 - i think that's probably the best match for the car.
it definately has been done before and i know for a fact that rod hatfield from castelmaine rod shop has the stuff to do it like a kit or something. im sure that that would be the best way to go about it and i rekon it would be worth doing too.

if you were to get a mustang as a donar car, i really think it would be more worth your while using the falcon as a donar car to the mustang!!

the final alternative would be to get an 80's fairlane with the v8 im not sure what capacity it is, but u could grab the power steering and the aircon and hoik it into the falcon. that's what id do mate.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28   #7 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Yeah just go get one and drop it in everything will fit eventually ...LOL.
The US falcon sprint which our early falcons are based on came standard with the windsor so its not that big a drama . You will have to replace the diff and brakes as they just wont handle it, Ive been told you can use 64-65 mustang diff or a sprint diff which castlemaine rod shop have stocks of .You can throw some Xc falcon spindles,disk brakes on the front bolt in a remote vacum booster drop the upper front control arms 25mm bolt in bigger mustang swaybars, get some decent shocks and springs .wahlaa youll have it handling like a shelby mustang in no time....Works for me
64-65 mustangs have near identical suspension mounting to the early falcon and most parts are interchangable.

Domingo - If you are in the states you should be able to find a factory v8 falcon like yours for the parts you need
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:44   #8 (permalink)

seano14 theres no taking 2 the fire wall with a hammer at all you obviously have never done this kind of swap or u would know that
351 windsor fits in the same way although standard exhaust manifold on drivers side is hard up against the steering box way b4 the engine is close 2 going on 2 the mounts
Have 2 either cut back shock towers or have custom xtractors made 2 suit
Australia,s 1st V8 muscle car
BA PURSUIT Citric Acid ,leather,manual,premium,stripes
99 Harley Davidson Springer softail custom :badass
4 sale
Genuine 5 slots painted centers NEW chrome rims 14x6 &14x7 new potenza tyres & genuine caps
$3000.00
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 22:00   #9 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Have 2 either cut back shock towers or have custom xtractors made 2 suit
he could get one of those RRS setups. that would give plenty of room for extractors.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 22:21   #10 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

RRS is still RHD... I figured domingo is in the US, as the engine he refered to came from a Monster Miata (windsor powered Mazda MX5). In the US, they call the MX5 the Miata.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons