'68 XR Falcon questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

'68 XR Falcon questions

G'day,
As the profile says I'm new to the Ford game. Dare I say it, I'm mostly a holden fan but am converting now I've purchased the XR. Because most of my knowledge is on Holdens, I've got a bunch of questons about XRs. My brother in Aussie (huge Ford nut), has a massive amount of knowledge, but doesn't know it all, so he put me onto this site. Any help from members will be greatly appreciated.

Some pressing questions to start with:

XR Heater

According to some sites it seems these were an option back in
the day. How hard is it to find an original Heater system including
dash selector panel? Is there anyone out there who has fitted a non-original heating/demister system? It's fairly important over here to have a window demister, and I can only describe a previous owners earlier attempt as 'agricultural'.

Brakes

I've seen a number of ads in mags talking about disc brake upgrades for early Falcons. All these companies, such as DBA, seem to only talk about upgrades for XWs and XYs. Is it possible to get a kit for say an XW, and fit them to an XR? Also, can you/any advantage to fitting a booster/master cylinder from a later model Falcon, say XA - XC?

Window mechanisms

On the splined shaft that the window winding handle fits into, there is a keyed end which fits into the mechanism.The keyed end has rounded itself, making this shaft come out with the winder when you pull it off.Have tried all sorts as a temporary fix,but the whole mechanism looks like it needs replacing.XR parts are hard to find over here, are the mechanisms the same or similar in any of the later model falcons?

Undersealing

The first and by far one of the biggest jobs to tackle on this project. These days when they underseal cars, do they go around any joins with a sealing compound first, or is spraying underseal on generally considered good enough to seal off all those joins, and prevent moisture ingress?

Cheers Guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EdMain.JPG (63.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg EdFront.JPG (64.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg EdMain2.JPG (63.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by theedmancometh; 01-05-2004 at 03:40. Reason: Addition of photos
theedmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 17:40   #2 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Re: '68 XR Falcon questions

Bolt in the complete stub axel with disk and caliper from xw-xf falcon into you car , the later the model the better .you will need to change the master cylinder to one made for front disks if your car had front drums.
A booster will make a big difference to braking but there might be a bit of work to fit a later model one as i believe Xr's had a remote booster bolted to the inner guard and are quiet expensive,but still worth checking out as xw/xys had the booster/mastercylinder style setups.

The window winder sounds like its rooted but you can use parts from the opposite side rear door to make a good one as these usually have a lot less wear on them ,just drill out the rivets holding the shaft mechanism together dismantle and reasemble with good parts.
I would think a xw -xy heater would fit without to many hassles but you might be better off sourcing a Xr-xt heater and controls just to avoid the cursing .They are out there as long as the price is right .
Theres still alot of early falcons around in australia compared with NZ and you might want to consider getting parts from over here.
What part of NZ are you in as im going back there for a holiday around june and might be able to help with small parts like side mirrors/heater controls
Hope this helps.
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

One thing to remember when upgrading a Factory XR Braking System is if you use the original style booster (mounted on the passenger side) the rear brakes weren't power assisted.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

Thumbs up Re: '68 XR Falcon questions

Thanks for the info guys.

It seems if XRs did have a brake booster fitted it was mounted on the passenger side of the firewall. I've checked out a number of Street Machine and Aussie Muscle Car mags, and all the GTs have boosters, but I can't find any standard 500s or Fairmonts that do. Was it only a GT option? I would like to a fit a booster, and it seems wise to go for a later model Falcon booster. Should I try to stick with an XW/XY setup, or go for something later, such as XA-XC? Am I right in assuming that the XW onwards have power assisted rear brakes?

302xm

If I put later model stub axles on the car, won't that change offset, and PCD of the wheel studs? How will this affect ordering wheels for the car? Do you order them for an XR, or say for an XW if those are the stub axles you've used?

The window winder is indeed rooted. I agree with sourcing parts from a rear door, I assume you're talking about from another car though, I still need to be able to wind down my rear windows as well! Still, if I can't find another XR door, or parts, can I use parts from an XW or later? XAs onwards are very easy to come by over here, but models earlier than that are hard to find. Parts are hard to come by. The photo you attached shows the exact parts that are shagged, so I'm glad you know what I'm on about. I have drilled out the rivets and removed the plate so I could get the window back up at least, for some security. Now I'm after those exact parts in your photo.

As for the heater and controls, I will try and hunt down some originals, but if I can't find anything, I will attempt XW/XY parts. I'm used to cursing when doing mechanical jobs on old things, our choppers are older than my XR! (refering to my profile photo).

I live in Bulls, near Palmerston North. Half the people I met in Oz when I was last over there were kiwis anyway, and you probably know it. My older brother lives in Adelaide (member of SA Falcon club), and he's onto his contacts trying to source me bits. I'm in discussion with Airforce suppliers to see if I can get large items such as seats back to NZ on a Herc. I wish we had the resources you guys have over there!

More questions:
Which model Falcon did electric window washers come out on? The XR has a foot pump to pressurise the bottle to squirt fluid through the nozzles.

Were XR aerials the push-pull type to raise/lower them?I'm guessing they weren't electric. I wish to change mine from one thats permanently up to one that you can recess into the guard.

What was the warning sticker on the XR/XT engine bay strut towers,on the drivers side, all about? I would like to source one for some authenticity.

Cheers for your help,
Old 01-08-2004, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Yes, the XW and XY had Power Assistance to the Rear Brakes.
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"

Old 01-08-2004, 04:34   #6 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

Thanks, that was quick. Any advice or help you can give on my other questions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 01-08-2004, 04:38   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Power Brakes were available as an option on the XR (not just GT which they were standard.

Heater was standard in Fairmont (not sure of NZ Spec Cars, but Austalian ones did).

Window winders, XW - XY should be the same (I am not 100% certain of this though).

Undersealer, I have no idea.

Hope this helps.
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"

Last edited by smciner1; 01-08-2004 at 04:46.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:45   #8 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

Yeah, that does help quite a bit. Proof that this website works.

Thanks very much,
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46   #9 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

No worries. Glad to help.
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"

Old 01-08-2004, 11:07   #10 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Changing to later model parts will only change wheel choice if you use Xc(maybe late XB) or later as the bearing housing on the disk hub that pokes thru the rim is larger and wont allow you to fit early rims, the PCD is the same on all models so you can fit later model rims to early hubs which is what it looks like youve got. Offset isnt a problem as i have XC stubs and off the shelf 7inch wide rims with a 4inch rear offset on my Xm with no problems. It wouldnt surprise me if the xa winder parts are the same as well as the photo is of xm parts.
I think Xw-Xy's have a large indentation in the inner guard to clear the booster which Xr's might not have but if your handy with a hammer...lol .My cars got a P76 leyland booster which has quiet a small diameter and requires redrilling the firewall to fit .the easiest setup would be to find an Xr Xt booster and dual circuit mastercylinder.
Superoo Falcon spares in perth sell XR engine bay decal sets for Aus$12.90 check there website out at www.superoo.com.au
Xw's have an electric washer which is part of the wiper motor l and ive never seen one work as the plastic fittings for the hoses have perished and broken off but the wiper switch should fit and give you the power to run an after market washer pump.
If your going to seal the underbody the only gaps that count are any drain holes which need to be clear to let any water to drain away, just make sure they are all still there after sealing if its a thick underseal it should seal any joins between panels.
Your right about the Kiwis over here some ones got to keep an eye on the West island.
The choppers a Huey isn't it a classic in its self
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons