About To Buy an EF V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 19:07   #1 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

About To Buy an EF V8

Hi

I have found a good EF Fairmont V8, and I am on the verge of getting it. There are a couple of things wrong with it though.

1) The stereo needs a code to get it to work. The owner has just changed the battery, and the radio is asking for the code. He said that the will get the code from the dealer, so no big deal there

2) The headlights have gone a bit cloudy. I think I read on here somewhere that autosol cleans them really well, is this true??

3) Some of the climate control buttons are hard to push in. Not like they-re sticky, you just have to push hard to work them.

4) Drivers-side mirror has a big crack through it. Owner said he will fix that as well, but he might need to replace the whole mirror assy, which would cost lots

5) The passenger side window doesn't roll up properly, the window gets caught around the mirror part of the channel, and then the back of the window pulls out a bit. Is this a biggie, or does it just need some of that lube that Ford use??

Finally, how much should I be paying for the car?? It's done 130,000 km, Dark green but it doesn't look that flash, needs to be polished, 17X8 mags, perfect interior, 6 stack CD. He want's about $14,000

Thanks
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2003, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

All those things are an easy fix man... id pay $14,000 only coz its a V8. If it were an I6, id have dropped it to say 11,000. Although consider the rising price of fuel and insurance, many people go out and buy a V8 not realising just how much they can cost to keep on the road... otherwise, sounds like a decent deal.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

A whole new mirror should set you back about 125 bucks, at least that's what it cost on our NL Fairlane a few years back.

Maybe it's just me, but make sure it's all in good nick, 14k for an EL V8 is borderline in my eyes, I'd be getting the engine and tranny checked out. Also look out for any half dodge panel beating.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Yeah, the panels looked straight, just not the best paint i've seen, but it's not that bad, no scratches, just dull.

I am going to get an RAA inspection done on it before I buy it.

[Q]14k for an EL V8 is borderline in my eyes[Q]

I thought the same, and he won't drop the price, because the car still owes him $14,000 on the loan. It has got 6 stack and 17" mags, which will save me about $2,500, so that sort of makes it an $11,500 car, which sounds a lot better (well, sort of)
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 21:26   #5 (permalink)

A mate of mine just bought an Ef ghia for $14000, it was also an V8 but was a bit rough around the edges, he had to get a new front bar and there is a few little dents on it, nothing to bad though. It also had 17x8 mags.

so yeh $14000 sounds about the going price, could always try and knock him down a bit.

as psycho chicken said a new mirror will cost between 100 and $200, as for the window its a very common problem and apperantly the lube that you buy from Ford works pretty good.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:49   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i've got one you can have for $16,500 and you won't have spend a cent on it. very good condition, only 120km's.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 20:38   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by nak302
i've got one you can have for $16,500 and you won't have spend a cent on it. very good condition, only 120km's.
Hmmm, I'd consider selling my EFII XR8 5spd for that kind of money.....

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons