Additional Cold air induction on BA NA XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2004, 20:52   #1 (permalink)

Additional Cold air induction on BA NA XR6

Well finally managed to complete my modifications to the standard air box on a BA. As well as fitting the turbo snorkel for increased air flow, I have now fitted the 5.4L V8 air snorkel to the front end of the airbox for an all up price of $59:00 which is the cost of the V8 snorkel. Fitting is very easy with trimming of the snorkel required which is easy as it is rubber and then to make the hole in the front of the airbox with a dremmel type tool.

The place for trimming the V8 snorkel conveniently leaves a seal on both sides. Early running with this modification appears to be much better breathing (as you would expect) effortless hill climbing where before third gear was required and a really nice exhaust note - seems to be more beefy.

Next will be the addition of a K&N or BMC filter which should improve breathing some more. Will post pics in the coming weeks and details about the size and placement of the hole in the front of the airbox.

If you would like to see what the snorkel eventually looks like go to the APS website and you will see where it sits just under the passenger side headlight. Overall a very professional and very unnoticeable modification.
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Re: Additional Cold air induction on BA NA XR6

show us the pics!
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 22:55   #3 (permalink)

Howdy JR wont be able to post pics till after the weekend. However if you compare what I have done to what Batten Performance does the results should be comparable but for a much smaller cost. I do not know of any differential bnetween prformance with a flat panel filter versus the pod style but stand to be corrected. And for $32:00 (Turbo snorkel) + $59:00 (V8 snorkel) + $120:00 (K&N filter) cost is significantly less than Baten Performance can do but it hasn't been dynoed so not aware of perfromance gains but it does sound nice even with the stock exhaust.
Old 06-15-2004, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
X-DM!!

These 3 pieces including GST = $160....

Not bad value don't you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cai-1.JPG (88.5 KB, 136 views)
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 18:08   #5 (permalink)

Rod C,
Are these licenced ford modifications or did you buy them aftermarket retailers
lord4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod c

Thats the same setup i used to have on the EL XR6 (gt box, ba intake etc etc). I didnt like it much, i thought the air box didnt flow as well as the stock one. After a night of driving/cruising id come home, pop the bonnet and feel the T/B to air box pipes and they were all hot (even with the 3inch CAI pipe coming from underneath the gaurd into the airbox). I put all the stock gear back in (standard airbox), attatched a cheap pod to the end of the intake and left it inside the airbox. I still run the 3 inch CAI pipe. After a night of driving/cruising i feel the intake pipes and they are cold. Yes Cold! I have found that the standard airbox (with its size and capacity) holds the cold air in there.

coombesplo, try running a large 3 inch pipe from ure airbox to the front gaurd using the standard airbox. Note: You'll have to cut a hole in the wheel arch to feed it through. I have also found that the pod works heaps better then a panel filter in the airbox because of the area that the filter sucks in, it is surrounded by cold air.
Old 06-15-2004, 19:56   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod c

Thats the same setup i used to have on the EL XR6 (gt box, ba intake etc etc). I didnt like it much, i thought the air box didnt flow as well as the stock one. After a night of driving/cruising id come home, pop the bonnet and feel the T/B to air box pipes and they were all hot (even with the 3inch CAI pipe coming from underneath the gaurd into the airbox). I put all the stock gear back in (standard airbox), attatched a cheap pod to the end of the intake and left it inside the airbox. I still run the 3 inch CAI pipe. After a night of driving/cruising i feel the intake pipes and they are cold. Yes Cold! I have found that the standard airbox (with its size and capacity) holds the cold air in there.

coombesplo, try running a large 3 inch pipe from ure airbox to the front gaurd using the standard airbox. Note: You'll have to cut a hole in the wheel arch to feed it through. I have also found that the pod works heaps better then a panel filter in the airbox because of the area that the filter sucks in, it is surrounded by cold air.

Nick
Old 06-15-2004, 20:44   #8 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord4d
Rod C,
Are these licenced ford modifications or did you buy them aftermarket retailers
They are Battens Performance Tunings Cold Air parts......

http://norcom.net.au/~bpt/

The snorkel is from a XR6t and the filter housing is the XR8/GT one. The only thing that is not Ford is the collar (3) that goes onto the housing.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 22:16   #9 (permalink)

Howdy Rod C, you might not have understood my original post but I am running with the original I6 airbox not the GT pod air box. All I have done is added the GT snorkel to this airbox and it fits nicely under the passenger side headlight and is the same location as the snoirkel that appears in APS performance mods. The area that you trim from the GT snorkel then allows a snug fitment in the airbox with a sealing lip on both sides. I like you am not convinced of the need to fit a GT airbox, the standard one appears much bigger in volume than the GT airbox and thie simple modification is cheap and effective if done properly. it also looks stock standarad factory direct another important part of the puzzle for me.
Batten performance provide a professional product for a price, but include all items new and factory direct for around $390:00. I guess all up once the K&N filter is in I have spent $200:00.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:21   #10 (permalink)
Movin!

some ls1 guys are using the boss motor cai too, seems to be working well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons