Advice on buying EB-ED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 23:22   #1 (permalink)

Advice on buying EB-ED

I'm looking at buying my wife an EB-ED Stn Wgn to replace her current XF wagon. The XF has not been the best car and has tarnished my view of Falcons. I'm aware of all the EA issues so want to keep well clear of EA's. I need a Wagon as we want to put a dicky seat in the back for childcare. So, I'm looking at EB to ED wagon. Maybe even and EF - EL. I want to spend no more than $10,000 (Canberra Based Buying). I'd prefer to spend around $6,000.

I have had a look around and most of what I'm seeing have approx 200,000km - 240,000km on the clock. I know that by this time the head gasket must have been replaced once and could need doing so again. So I'm making this a must on my check list. What other problems should I look for? What are the Gearboxes like? I know the XF and EA autos are not known for longevity. What kind of milage can these motors really get (i'm not talking Taxi miles here)? When should they be reconditioned? I used to think XF's went forever - but I would not rely on my XF for much longer, and it's on its 2nd motor and gearbox with 400,000km on the clock. With the XF I seem to be forever fixing problems with it. I don't want to get an EB-ED and have similar probs.

Any real experienced advise would be greatly appreciated.
mongoose3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 00:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Advice on buying EB-ED

I've seen/heard of engines doing 300000+ before needing any major work done. It all depends on how well the owner(s) of the car took care of it and how hard they drove it. I've had bad experiences with gearboxes so I think they are the weaker link than the engine. For 6-10k you should be able to find a ED for EF with well less than 200k on the clock. Depends how long you are willing to look for.
Otsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:32   #3 (permalink)

i used 2 have an eb fairmont. had it for 3 years floged the crap out of it and it used 2 be a rent a car before i got my hands on it. It had 250000kms on it when i sold it and i never had any major problems.
auv8fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 16:35   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

My ED sedan is still going strong at 185000kms. Still on the original head gasket too (touch wood), maybe a bit of cooling system maintenance is all they really need. No major dramas from the g'box but it's not as smooth as it once was - due for a service again now, which usually improves things.

It'll be offered for sale sometime soon (gotta get that Territory (TS?) order in) if your interested in a sedan (Sth Coast NSW). Your $6k sounds about right.
Old 07-04-2004, 23:48   #5 (permalink)

mmmmm - I looked at Several EB's on the Weekend. Most with just over 200,000km on the clock. 2 had clear evidence of Head work and another had coolant stains down the side of the block from the head. Today I went and looked at an EL with 127,000 on the clock and there right at the front of the block is a nice puddle of coolant that has weaped from the Head Gasket. The dealer looked at it without surprise and said "Oh thats normal" and that it will cost $500 for him to fix it. I then checked out an ED at another dealer and it had evidence of very recent head work (red silastic everywhere) and yet there was fresh coolant leaking down the side of the block. This isn't a very good start. I also spoke to an engine recoditioner who knows of one importer that brings in 30,000 head bolts per quarter just for E series Falcon Head Gasket repairs. That's a lot of head gaskets being repaired when you consider 14 bolts are used for each engine. I'm really starting to get the impression that all these engines are just as bad as the original EA. Almost to the point that I will steer well clear of any E series falcon. Can someone please convince me otherwise?
Old 07-04-2004, 23:58   #6 (permalink)

From Carsguide.news.com.au :

THE ELs are generally robust and reliable, but they do suffer from a few problems that are worth noting.

The six-cylinder engine is prone to head-gasket leaks, even with as few as 50,000km on the odometer.

Water pumps can also be a problem, so check to make sure there are no signs of coolant in the oil and the temperature gauge is sitting where it should. Oil leaks are common from the rear main bearing seal and the timing cover seal.

The four-speed electronic auto transmission is generally sound, but it's not unusual to see them being rebuilt after 140,000-150,000km.

I think I'll steer well clear!
Old 07-05-2004, 00:08   #7 (permalink)
Proudly Average

i think that for the money, you can't get a better car than an EB-ED falcon. Just look at what else is out there in that price range, 1993-1997... busted arse VN commodores (which are at least a thousand bucks more expensive than the equivalent falcon, for some unknown reason), crappy V6 magna's that are guaranteed to fall apart short of 200,000k's.

yes, they're not perfect. Nor is any car. If you buy a 6-10 year old car, you have to expect to have to spend a little money on it at some stage.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
Maxxr8

My wifes ed xr6 has done 230000 km done a head gasket at 170000 has'nt looked like doing another yet gearbox is fine maybe 2nd is getting tired but what do ya expect this car has had its fair share of floggings i also had 93 xg ute that done a head gasket at 18000 had 225000 when i sold it still going sweet was also 4 speed auto no probs at all should change oil and filter every 12 mts in trans, if the head gasket is done properly should'nt have to be done again go and buy a 10 or 11 year old commodore you really will start pulling your hair out.
Maxxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 18:41   #9 (permalink)
Formerly ef_ghiaI6

mongoose, i think you have to expect problems when searching for such an old car.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 22:58   #10 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Mate, do what I did. I went to the auctions and bought a rough EB2 Ghia Wagon and had spare change to throw a new reco engine in, all new suspension and steering, and other items subject to wear and tear. Okay I may have been out of pocket to the tune of $8000 but it's a truly zero spend car now. Plus it has all the Ghia extras such as ABS, LSD, Cruise, Climate Control and so on.

Sometimes I think buying an older car and spending the diff on zero timing the key items is a pretty good way to go if you intend to keep the car.

Wanna buy an EB Wagon??? he he he

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons