Advice for a newbie? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 08:24   #1 (permalink)
CarNooB

Advice for a newbie?

I'm about to buy an EA Falcon S and would like some advice on what I should check for before purchasing.

What would be really helpful is knowing where the serial numbers are for the engine and how to compare them to the stamp. The reason I ask is that I'm a bit worried that the engine may have been changed. When I first was looking for a car, I was pretty much looking for anything within my budget, so I didn't know much about the EA until I found this one and did some research later on. I found out all the E-series had EFI however I can't recall if this one had the injectors or not. Both my friend and I seem to think it didn't.

Are there any pictures of the engine online? Is there any way to tell what engine type it is? We know it's a straight six and it certainly looks like a ford six but we aren't a 100% sure.

Also, if you're in Melbourne and know anything about Autotrend Motors in Preston, it'd be greatly appreciated if you'd share your info.

Thanks.
Modded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 08:49   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Sounds like the EA you are looking at is center point fuel injected (CFI), not the multi point fuel injection (MPEFI). EA's and EB's came with both. CFI is the most basic setup, it runs a carby like setup with fuel injectors instead of carby jets. MPFI is more advanced and runs 1 injector per cylinder allowing better AF ratios and more power. CFI's produced 120kw 311Nm and MPFI produced 139kw 338Nm. It's really worth waiting for a MPFI model.

The engine number is on the block between the back of the power steering pump and the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by EDXR8; 07-21-2003 at 09:07.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 16:02   #3 (permalink)

Re: Advice for a newbie?

check eafalcon.com for pics of the various parts, i'm sure there are engine pics on there too.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 18:15   #4 (permalink)

This is the same place that has a red XR8 sprint on gas isn't it?
I don't know about you but I found the owner to be a true used car salesman (full of s**t) he also had a crappa-dore wagon that he was trying to pass off as a BT1 but it wasn't.
ef-ficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 19:09   #5 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Here is the buyers help page it should answer most of your questions...

http://[<a href="http://www.eafalcon.../index.htm</a>

Cheers

Ben

Now a P6 351 LTD
White XF GHIA for sale PM me
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

if your after an ea then ive got a faimront ghia for sale, let me know!

on your engine question here is a pic of the multipoint engine

if it doesnt look like this, then it should have a tennis racket (sp?) shaped "contaitner" on the top of the engine, if it does have the container then it will be cfi

ea's had both engines, you will find that most ea gls had cfi, same with spacs, the faimonts only had mpi i think, someone can correct me on this and the ghias and fairlanes only came out with mpi

the mpi (as pictured above) has six injectors where as the cfi has 2,

the mpi has better fuel economy and more power than cfi, but thats not to say that the cfi is a bad engine, just not as "advanced" as others

good luck

Last edited by eafairmontghia; 07-22-2003 at 01:33.
eafairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

MPI also had a black rocker cover standard. Thats strange that your engine had a unpainted rocker cover eafairmontghia, somebody might have replaced it at some stage
Old 07-22-2003, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

yeah that engine has only done 50,000kms....shes brand new

eafairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 18:36   #9 (permalink)
CarNooB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef-ficiency
This is the same place that has a red XR8 sprint on gas isn't it?
Not sure, he has plenty of cars though, packed into two lots. Some real bombs and some nice ones, a real mix. He has a high turnover though, in the few days between going there first and going back, I noticed a few different cars in the lot and a few that had already gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef-ficiency
I don't know about you but I found the owner to be a true used car salesman (full of s**t) he also had a crappa-dore wagon that he was trying to pass off as a BT1 but it wasn't.
Heh, was that a blue wagon with a broken lights/indicator arm? He's definitely a true car salesman, and has 'shoddy' written all over him but at the same time, his business relies on volume sales rather than high mark-up, which is why his stuff is cheap. I'm guessing he goes to the auctions and picks up half a dozen new cars every week and also gets a lot of trade in deals.

Funnily enough, for some reason the whole 'shoddy' salesman thing doesn't bother me. I guess it's better to see it so blatently out in the open rather than covered up behind some slick suit and a smile or the assuring words of a greasy mechanic. It's like... he knows you know he's out to make a buck. There's a certain honesty there that's refreshing :)
Modded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons