Airbag warning light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 20:31   #1 (permalink)

Airbag warning light

Our 2003 Futura wagon (with side air bags) has the airbag dash warning light repeatedly flashing twice followed by a small delay and then eventually staying on full time. This morning I started the car and no warning light appeared at all while later it came back on while my wife was driving it. I called local dealer @ 7.20am (when it had no problem) and they said to bring it in any time for a look however when my wife drove there later in the morning having experienced the warning light full time they explained that it was needed for several hours hence requiring a booking (next Tuesday). The reason given is that it takes "a long time" to test every airbag.

Simply, has this happened to anyone and is the time frame required actually true or is it a case of giving the serivce guys as much time as possible to look at it and so its slotted in as just another service vehicle. The manual and sunvisor information seems to give the impression it should be looked at ASAP.

Thanks in advance
Curls.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 21:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Airbag warning light

I recently had my airbag warning light come on and stay on after having new tyres fitted. Go figure. After speaking to my service adviser at Titan Ford, we decided that it could be a fault with the wiring loom in the drivers seat which could have been moved. He stated that there had been some trouble with some cars and that a service "kit" to fix the problem could be fitted. I then moved the drivers seat back and forward and fiddled with the wires under the drivers seat and the problem went away, never to return since. That was 8 weeks ago. I never bothered getting the kit fitted.

I have a 7/03 XR8, leather, auto also with side airbags.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 21:35   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls
Our 2003 Futura wagon (with side air bags) has the airbag dash warning light repeatedly flashing twice followed by a small delay and then eventually staying on full time. This morning I started the car and no warning light appeared at all while later it came back on while my wife was driving it. I called local dealer @ 7.20am (when it had no problem) and they said to bring it in any time for a look however when my wife drove there later in the morning having experienced the warning light full time they explained that it was needed for several hours hence requiring a booking (next Tuesday). The reason given is that it takes "a long time" to test every airbag.

Simply, has this happened to anyone and is the time frame required actually true or is it a case of giving the serivce guys as much time as possible to look at it and so its slotted in as just another service vehicle. The manual and sunvisor information seems to give the impression it should be looked at ASAP.

Thanks in advance
Curls.
I had the same problem in an EF ghia I just left it at the dealers and they fixed it Ok, My BA Fairmont had the same problem and it was something to do with driver seat , left it with the dealer at 8.30am got it back a few hours later.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:04   #4 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Had the same problem with a Futura sedan fitted with side bags...

Passenger side airbag was faulty and had to be replaced. When the Airbag light is on the AIRBAGS wont deploy if you are in an accident. They wont accidently go of either.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:40   #5 (permalink)

Thanks in advance
Curls.[/QUOTE]

Curls,
It sounds like there is an intermitant fault (high resistance in the connector probarly) with the side air bag wiring. It should log a code depending what seat is affected. The fix is to fit wiring kits to what ever seat is the problem. I would try and get them to do both seats then you will never have a problem again! The time frame is realistic as the seat has to be removed and stripped.
Regards Dumbarse
dumbarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:54   #6 (permalink)
aussiedude_200

Curls,
Had much the same problem a year ago. Came on flashed then stayed on...thought I would have to take to Ford however solved it replacing the battery which died not long after it started flashing. Didn't happen again until the other day and this time it was a blown fuse.
Cheers aussiedude.
aussiedude_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 00:40   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all your experiences and advice, guess I'll tell the wife to double make sure she doesn't tail gate, not that she ever does, more the Mister McGoo driver actually who makes all her calls on the mobile and winges when the bill arrives.

I will go and check the wiring below the seats as being half a foot difference in height we constantly are adjusting the seats and a pair of flippers are always kept in the rear seat footwell by the wife so something may have happened..
cheers.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 18:51   #8 (permalink)

There is a number of known causes for the airbag light coming on.
Mainly related to things like the wiring loom plugs under the drivers seat coming adrift and that sort of thing.

Ask the dealer to chase up the relavant TSBs.

The warning light on my Ghia has spent more time flashing intermittantly than it has sat static. Has been off for the last 4000km after a bit more work. Going away for a while then coming back after playing with the seat is apparently common (they all do that).
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons