Almost time for a new engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 00:50   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Almost time for a new engine

G'day all,

I've had some annoying set-backs which mean I can't get the new daily driver I was after, so I'm thinking about spending a few dollars on the EA instead. For those who don't know I am doing a few mods, going from N/A to turbo, petrol to LPG and manual to auto. The transmission and turbo are all under control, and the LPG comes later. I'm thinking about making the engine a priority but need your expert opinions!

The engine is going to be based on an AU Falcon six complete with all accessories and serpentine belts. I'll be using the EA 3.9 block due to thicker bore walls and use the EA sump to match, plus ACL low compression pistons and head gasket, fully balanced bottom end, ported and polished head. Not sure about the cam, I was hoping I could use the stock item for the time being. Also I'm not sure if I need to do any other mods because the car will be on LPG.

Just wondering if you guys have any other suggestions? I don't want to spend anything I don't have to, but it has to be an engine capable of reliably handling my benchmark goal of 650 HP at the flywheel.

Help!

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 01:24   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: Almost time for a new engine

My suggestion is to let me run the car in :)
Old 07-25-2004, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Buy a V8 :-)

Nah, in all seriousness, being LPG only, will you need any valve lubricating equipment? I'm no expert, but just wondering..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

being an unleaded engine u wont need any valve lube,
you could buy gmdestroya's ef engine jack, wasnt it $2000 for a 750hp bottom end? and put the au head and accessories onto it. And maybe a bit of a wade cam in there too.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

do you actually drive your EA Jack..
dpk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I have PMed Gmdstroya, my budget for this exercise is around $3k but I have no idea if that is realistic. I await his response with interest.

Yags, I hope the valve guides will be OK. It's not like AUs aren't commonly run on LPG, but I'll have to research what mods the straight gas versions had. I wish I had studied that press release. :sad:

Karl, thank you for that contribution.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 07-25-2004, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
known as tibbo

You have a goal... you want 650 HP... mighty

One of the secrets to building a 'budget' car is never lose sight of your aim

As you say you have researched the turbo and driveline so your needing a capable engine builder or aleast a good 'tuning' shop.. I'd be interested in the specs of your turbo? And the design of your manifolds to get those numbers? And what engine management hardware you will use... we will liaise thru PM reguarding the above...

If it were me Id approach a few local workshops and explain to them that you are chasing 650hp and have purchased components that unquestionably have the potential to develope your required hp... As you are going to need a machine shop, many dyno tunes and runs, flow bench facilities, at a min you will find 'most' shops will not charge you top dollar until they have developed a package that the customer is happy with.. Now with your captive audience thru the forums etc, the potential target market your chosen workshop stands to gain is VERY worth their while to invest some time into R & D on your behalf

The bottom line is the combo you are proposing is unchartered waters afaik... anyone that tells you definatley what will work and what won't is trying to justify their products or taking an educated guess.. If it was me Jack, I would really try and get into bed with a business that could see the big picture and the potential money spinning from a little trial and error
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Cheers RaceCraft. To answer your question, the turbo is a Mitsubishi TD07-18A with standard T4 exhaust flange. It is rated at 650 HP and 30 psi, though interestingly it seems to also have massive potential for high-flowing. The 650 HP goal is long-term, and until all driveline components are up to the task I'll have to run low boost.

I have no idea who I'll get to build the engine, but I figured I'd be better off having detailed specs and all the parts I need before I face that situation. This isn't quite what I'd call unchartered waters, as there are quite a few big HP turbo sixes around. A classic example is Adrian Vella's EL Falcon which manages 600 HP at the rear wheels! I might have a word to Pet Modifications who built his engine.

Cheers all!!

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 07-25-2004, 02:18   #9 (permalink)
known as tibbo

I was more leaning towards the 650 hp on $3000 being the unchartered waters bit.. Throw in the LPG and you 'might' find it alittle tricky.. I would of thought a good manifold and plumbing for the turbo would be close to the 3k mark?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:20   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

No idea on that, thus the reason for making this thread :s5

I think the real cost might be in labour rather than parts. If it pushes much beyond $4k I'll probably have to postpone this though.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons