Any benefit in PULP for BA 220KW V8? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 21:32   #1 (permalink)

Any benefit in PULP for BA 220KW V8?

Iíve been trying to find out if thereís any real benefit (performance / economy) in using 95 and/or 98 Octane premium fuels in a 220KW V8 BA Fairmont. Iíve emailed Ford and they just fobbed me off and told me to go to the fuel companies. Iíd have thought Ford should know about their own engines, but it seems theyíre not interested.

The specs mention using PULP for the XR6 Turbo, but for my engine it just says ULP - and there is no indication as to whether or not itís setup to benefit from changing over.

Does anyone have some real data on this (as opposed to seat of the pants stuff!)?
wrenfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 21:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Any benefit in PULP for BA 220KW V8?

In N/A 6 definately tows loaded trailor better + more kms per tank hope this helps

I Like Steve Because Steves My Mate
I.L.SB 1
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:13   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
In N/A 6 definately tows loaded trailor better + more kms per tank hope this helps
Have you worked out if the extra km travelled per tank outweighs the extra cost of buying pulp? Round my way Optimax can be upto 12 cents above ULP while BP and Mobil usually have a smaller price difference b/w their ULP/PULP.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Mobil syn 8000 98ron or BP Ultamate are the best for a power gain optamax is a bit iffiy you can get good & bad lots.....
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

You might get something out of it theoretically, but that depends on such things as Compression Ratio and how advanced the Engine Managed system keeps the timing.

I know that my XR8 doesn't get much out of PULP - not even better economy (only basic testing - if anything it got worse on PULP which is counter intuitive - maybe it just leadened my foot) - but the 220 has a Compression Ration of 9.7 to 1, whereas the XR8 has 9.5 to 1.

Not much difference I know, but the higher the ratio, the more likely it will be that the PULP will make a difference for you.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 19:52   #6 (permalink)

I have only ever heard people saying that "they get heaps more power and a lot better fuel economy" from PULP.
I've tried it myself and only noticed a slight improvement in throttle repsonse - and I mean slight.

I came across an article in a 4wd Mag a while ago dealing with this question and basically the advantages are:

- slightly higher energy density in PULP, which means a possible increase in economy of 1%-3%
- some have tricky detergents in them that help keep your fuel system cleaner

So I guess if you want a 2% increase in economy, with a 10% increase in fuel costs then you're on a winner.

Most cars from the factory that run on PULP have to because of timing and/or compression settings that can't be maintained reliably using ordinary ULP. So I'd say that unless you need to use PULP or have modified your car then there's probably no real advantage in it.
xageetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 21:07   #7 (permalink)
Just hear the Exhaust!

I'm sure there would be some benefit. I know this isn't feedback you have specifically asked for but my BA XR6 N/A is pushing around 220 kw (flywheel) and 'pulp' is a must. Changing to BP Ultimate increased performance by a few 'horses', even before the mods. I don't use anything else.

My AU III XR6 VCT showed no considerable advantage as the computer was retarding to compensate for the higher octane level, who knows. I didn't bother. Th BA? Maaaate, instant improvement!
Old 12-25-2003, 17:00   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

If your were to keep your car a while an improved exhaust system may be a better way to spend your money than purchsing PULP from a performance perspective.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
GO THE BOSS

I Have A Ba Xr8 And I Get Extra 50km Out Of A Tank With Mobil Syn 8000. And More Throttle Response.
BlackXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons