anyone know how to install steering wheel? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03   #1 (permalink)

anyone know how to install steering wheel?

Hey guys , i just bought a momo steering wheel for my au off this place in victoria and nows the hard bit, how do i take my old one off and put da new one on. i think theres two screws with a plastic cap ontop do i just remove them and then the air bag comes off?
but those screws aren't the normal patterns , anyone know where i can get one of those special screw drivers, or am i trying to take off the wrong screws,
thanks for any info.
lostdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 04:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: anyone know how to install steering wheel?

You would need the security torx screws like these http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/T4514
Have all the doors open and disconnect the battery to prevent any accidental airbag deployments.

Do a search for remove airbag for more details.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16   #3 (permalink)

The torx bit you need to undo these screws is a 5 pointed security torx bit, one brand I have seen marked it as T30 IPR. Normally torx bits (security and normal) are 6 pointed. I think I got mine from Motor Traders (SA).
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:18   #4 (permalink)

Oh, and then you need a T50 torx bit (6 sided) to undo the steering wheel.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 16:21   #5 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for the help guys, but where do i buy these torq bits here in sydney?
thanks for da info
Old 03-26-2005, 15:21   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
Ok, thanks for the help guys, but where do i buy these torq bits here in sydney?
thanks for da info
Dick Smith
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 15:32   #7 (permalink)

Suggest you take the fuse out of the Airbag and leave the battery connected, this way you don't have to reset everything and there's a lot less hassle.

You will also need a hub puller or steering wheel puller as the 4 sided spline that the wheel mounts on is slightly tapered so the wheel is on pretty tight.

The 5 pointed Torx bolts are slightly triangular in profile so you need a fair amount of effort to remove them.

You don't need to disconnect the airbag just slip it up and out of the way, same goes for all the other wheel mounted buttons.

With the right tools, this is a 15 minute job and one you'll be very happy with.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
drk
BlackXRSIX

I'm also trying to get the steering wheel off and I'm having problems trying to get the 5 pointed torx bit in Sydney. Dick Smith DO NOT have the 5 pointed bit, only the 6 pointed ones.

Does anyone else know where to get them in Sydney other than Snapon who want $40 for 1 bit!

Cheers
drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 05:17   #9 (permalink)

hi, the torx screw isn't available at dicksmith or autopro cause i checked there, i got frustrated as some places said they can order them but would take a week, so in the end i got a old screw driver the flat head one and filed a slot in the middle of it for that little bump on the torx screw, and it worked pretty well.
cheers.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:46   #10 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

i've got a leather wheel on it's way this week for my ba... what's the process with that? i had a look and couldn't work out how to get the cover off.... other than brute force. lol.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons