Anyone Know Much About AOD Boxes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 21:44   #1 (permalink)
XW GT

Anyone Know Much About AOD Boxes

Looking For A AOD Transmission To Replace A C4.
Anyone Know Much About Them Or Where I Can Find Stuff Out.
I'm In Perth.
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 05:12   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Anyone Know Much About AOD Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERXY
Looking For A AOD Transmission To Replace A C4.
Anyone Know Much About Them Or Where I Can Find Stuff Out.
I'm In Perth.
ask @ http://www.automatictransmission.com.au
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00   #3 (permalink)

Re: Anyone Know Much About AOD Boxes

I saw a website from the states where someone didi the conversion on an early Mustang. It went on for many pages. Not as straight forward as you would think. Obviously the tailshaft has to be shortened at least.
Old 07-25-2005, 23:26   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Anyone Know Much About AOD Boxes

I put one in an XD wagoon about 10 years ago, very straight forward fit, except mine was a column auto and I kept it that way. I had to make up a lot of new linkage parts and re-engineer some of the existing parts.

I believe they come in various extension housing lengths but mine was exactly the same as the dirty of C4 I replaced so required no tailshaft surgery. The gearbox mount had to go to the rearmost position, and I had to do a little on the exhaust to clear the linkages. The electronic speedo drive just slipped straight in but there was a 13-15% error I found out later...

The really difficult part of the fit was getting the throttle position linkage to work properly. I made up a rod that had a threaded rose joint on one end so I could adjust the length of the rod easily. The next hurdle was getting the right arc of travel, I made up an adjustable arm so I could change the arc and travel without drilling millions of holes. This is extremely important as the AOD doesn’t use mechanical / vacuum kickdown system like C4’s or FMX (I guess).

The throttle position linkage tells the box how fast the throttle is opening and what position the butterflies are. Get it wrong and the auto changes like a dog, get it right and it’s lovely

Another issue is the detents allow for the following modes:

Park

Reverse

Neutral

Drive (1, 2, 3 & OD)

Drive 2 (1, 2, 3)

1st

My AOD had an OD ratio of about 0.67:1 which meant that the standard 2.72:1 diff had the old 302 slugging along at 1,450rpm @ 100km/h. Way too low! Also with the speedo error, I only found out that when Mr. Plod gave me an accurate radar measured reading (Speedo 110km/h, Radar 126km/h, later verified with a stopwatch over 10kms…) I ended up putting a 3.23:1 diff centre in that not only brought my revs up to about 1,750rpm @100km/h but also corrected my speedo error to a less than 1% error.

As a tow car, the old girl was great if left in Drive 2, forget about the overdrive, it was just too tall. For performance, it was a slight improvement. For reliability, be careful, one of my not very mechanically sympathetic brother in laws gave the old girl a 6,000rmp enema once and the torque converter disintegrated. It caused so much damage I had to have the transmission rebuilt (Cost the same as buying it!).

But in the end the trannie did well over 100,000 km of varied abuse and torture. I believe it’s still going strong but probably not in the same car…

I did it more to prove I could, than to actually get a benefit out of it, fuel economy was slightly better but not measurably so. Now I’m an older and more wiser car nut, I would think twice about something like that. I’m thinking that a E or A series 5 Litre and 4 speed would be a better option now, especially as the engine management system controls both and you could transplant the loom ECM et al.

Also one last final thing, on the bottom of the sump pan in big and very clear letters is one word: METRIC. if you plan to play with the internals remember what spanners to use!

Have fun, getting it working properly is really the enjoyable part of this conversion!
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons