AU Falcons - Why does everyone hate them? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 06:28   #1 (permalink)

AU Falcons - Why does everyone hate them?

Hey,
I'm trying to convince the old man to buy a AU falcon as the EA has seen better days. They seem to be selling cheap now(should get a nice one for $10K), but I was wondering why are people always saying they "hate" the AU falcon, and it's a heap of crap and a massive stuff up of a car, etc etc.

I've read it not just on these forums but in car magazines as well, yet they don't say specifically why they are heaps of sh!t. Okay so the front headlights are bloody ugly to look at and the dome roof is a bit annoying, but looks aside what was so wrong with this model car? any info on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers
fordfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 06:40   #2 (permalink)
.au member

Re: AU Falcons - Why does everyone hate them?

My Dad has an AUII Fairmont, Liquid Silver and Tickford 17's, and its one very nice looking car inside and out, goes very well too. We have never had a problem with it at all.

I can see the points of both - S1 AU's are fugly, except for some of the XR's (although Im not a fan of ones without a kit). Series II and III however, the only reason I wuold knock one back is because the resale value is low, because as you say people 'hate them'.

My only complaint with the AU's shape is that from inside, visibility is somewhat limited compared to my EF. The windscreen slopes down more, and it feels like you're sitting 'lower', so if you're a shoter person you may find driving an AU a little daunting at first. Well, thats my take on it anyway.

AUII onwards, the interiors are great. My only complaint withe Fairmont is the black interior gets very dirty very quickly, but it comes up a treat when its cleaned.

The headlights may be ugly, but goddamn do they put out some light!

Mechanically, I would say no car is free from its problems. The AU has a lot going for it though - better engine, no headgasket issue to worry about, better intake and much more fuel efficent too.

I think your old man's nuts to prefer an EA over an AU to be honest!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:16   #3 (permalink)

The more i look at the AU the more i like it. As for re-sale value and no one liking them. If you like it, buy it. You'll rarely get money back on any car.
Sooner the EA goes the better. Think of the money he will save in the long run by not having to fix up the damn EA. Will probably break even with the AU. (purchase price included.. hehe)
Old 03-12-2004, 08:41   #4 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

They are loved over here in NZ...and you can form whatever opinions you like...but fact remains that they are hot sellers around here. More and more of them are seen on the roads. I say just take it for a test drive and if you like them then get one.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:19   #5 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

the old mans got one, bought it for a taxi, its great i love driving it, in good condition and low kms they go great, the interior is a bit bubbled like the out side, but i dont mind the look for some reason, its only a series 1 but it still appeals to me. only prob ever with it was 2 power steering switchs, its now done over 140k but still gets wheelspin off the lights with out a prob even on gas....

series 2 and 3 look great especially in gun metal grey.... my opinion buy one.
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:49   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Nothing bad can really be said about the AU's mechanically and performance wise, it's more just the shape of the car that people "hate", and therefore most of the time you'll here someone bag out the AU as being a sh!t car fullstop, often without ever even stepping into one and simply making there assumption purerly based on the looks...
Old 03-12-2004, 13:24   #7 (permalink)

yep. really just the looks. AUII was a huge improvement over AUI, but my parents AUI Forte isn't such a bad car, i'd prefer to drive my EF due to driving position etc but the AU is still quite a fine car to drive!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:35   #8 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

My old man has an AUIII Forte 4.0 LPG sedan. Despite it being rated at only 133kW, it runs with 152kW VXs and regular 157kW AUs no problems. The only actual engine problem its had is that the Ford Dealership (City Ford here in Sydney) didn't put oil in after one of the services. He doesn't take it to them anymore though, and its been fine ever since. (He was pretty mad at them after he drove around for 2 days with almost no oil in the engine, but thats all sorted).
Old 03-12-2004, 15:24   #9 (permalink)
Vroom vroom

I agree. My Dad's AUII Fairmont was possibly the best car I've ever driven. Smooth, comfortable, responsive, relatively light on fuel, and just an all round good drive. I'm a pretty tall guy, so I never noticed the visibility problems that others have mentioned. Oh, and I drive a van all day, so that's never been an issue in a sedan. :)
It's really just the exterior styling, it was pretty awful when it came out, but it grew on me. I like it now, bar the Series 1 Forte grill. All the others look ok.
And the resale value? You're already buying second hand, so you won't take anywhere near the depreciation hit that those that bought new did.
My advice though, is try to get a Series II, and look at an ex-program Falcon, if you can, they are pretty thoroughly inspected and being ex-fleet, usually have a good service history too.
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
Cruise control
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 15:34   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I drive AUs day and day out. They're a bloody good car, they handle well, the have good power, and they're good on fuel. Looks are a matter of opinion, with series 2 and 3 anyway, the AU1 is hideous. I happen to like 2 and 3. They're good hooning cars as well, it doesn't take much to get them sideways :) So yeah, test drive one and after driving it I'm sure he'll like it.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons