AU fuel comsumption & extractors, high flow cat etc - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Silhouette AU2 XLS Marlin

AU fuel comsumption & extractors, high flow cat etc

Hi boys and girls!

Just wondering what fuel consumtion you guys are getting. i just calculated mine (AUII straight 6 ute) at about 11.6L/100km when i'm driving like a granny, highway and in town, tonneua cover on and off etc

Been thinking about maybe getting extractors and a high flow cat... does this improve economy much at all or is it mostly a difference in power. i know extractors themselves wont do much but apparently the high flow converter will... any thoughts? anyone got a percentage?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
Australian AU Member

Re: AU fuel comsumption & extractors, high flow cat etc

Headers with High Flow Cats & a 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent System will give you about 20 Kw's and an extra 100 Klm's to a tank. We use and recommend HM Headers with their system it's about $1850.00 fitted
Regards
Mick Webb's SVO
Old 12-18-2004, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Excuse my ignorance. Why would you get better economy?
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 00:15   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

better economy is pretty straight forward. The exhaust is more efficient, therefore the engine can produce more total power.
As the fuel is basically the same the engine is creating more power for the same amount of fuel or the same amount of power for less fuel. Therefore the car uses less fuel to do the same as what it is doing now.

Only problem is the new power is addictive and, for the short term (as you play with it), the economy can get worse simply because your having more fun (and revving harder.)

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:32   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I went to Melbourne on Fri, I had a full tank, drove all the way at 110 then into the city and down to Rickett's point, then up to the St Kilda mariner and then to where the spirit of Tassie dock's and then to Herrod's, so I did a fair bit of driving in the city and flogging her on the fwy's, then I cruised back to Bendigo once again sitting on 110, all up I did a little over 400lkm's for the trip and it took 39 ltr's to fill back up, so that's 39/400x100= 9.75 ltr's per 100klm, WOW, all from a AU II XR8 auto with around 230kw, I believe I could get it into the 8's on the hwy cruising, that's fantastic.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:32   #6 (permalink)
LG
Silver Star

I was getting about low 12s, driving reasonably easy but still giving it a bit every now and then.

Since then, I've done a bit of intake work and cat-back exhaust. Not sure where i'm at. I should do some more calculating. But i definately get more kms than before, so I'd prob be around the 11.5 mark.

For Sale: EF Airbox Lid - $30
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 20:11   #7 (permalink)

I did a highway trip on the weekend and was lucky if I get 500 ks out of a tank, AU XR8 (220) auto. Economy is very average around town around 320 to a tank. I am conviced something is wrong as I am not at all driving it hard. I have cleaned the maf sensor etc. Next thing I will be doing is changing exhaust, although I do not think that will make a big difference.
Old 12-19-2004, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Silhouette AU2 XLS Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I did a highway trip on the weekend and was lucky if I get 500 ks out of a tank, AU XR8 (220) auto. Economy is very average around town around 320 to a tank. I am conviced something is wrong as I am not at all driving it hard. I have cleaned the maf sensor etc. Next thing I will be doing is changing exhaust, although I do not think that will make a big difference.
i think something is probably wrong there.
my brother has the same car and he gets alot better than that. he gets about 7.5km/L around busy Perth, which includes city driving w traffic lights etc and doesn't include much freeway driving.

Have you got it checked out? i don't think the exhaust will make any significant difference
Old 12-19-2004, 23:27   #9 (permalink)

I have had it at 2 ford dealers who cant find any faults although I am not to sure they are looking hard enough, there is definitely something wrong.
Old 12-19-2004, 23:51   #10 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_girl
i think something is probably wrong there.
my brother has the same car and he gets alot better than that. he gets about 7.5km/L around busy Perth, which includes city driving w traffic lights etc and doesn't include much freeway driving.

Have you got it checked out? i don't think the exhaust will make any significant difference
I don't think he would get 7.5 ltr's from a 220 XR8 in the city, sorry but I don't believe it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons