AU Futura series 1 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
I am The Brain

AU Futura series 1

My brother is interested in a 1998 AU Futura that has done 93988kms. I was just wondering what he should look out for, whether this series would be a good choice etc.

I'm also interested in the fuel figures for anyone who has one, he would be driving mostly around Albury with a bit of travel between Albury and Wangaratta.

The price of the car was $14990.

Thanks people
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Re: AU Futura series 1

You'll find that the Series 1 has noticeably more noise inside the cabin and also that the brakes are the same units as EL and far inferior to those fitted to the AU2 and 3. AU2/3 get 2 pot brake calipers and larger discs.

You'll also find that there was a Series 1 update, I've heard this update included a bigger brake booster to combat the brake issues of the originals.

AU2 also had some minor steering/suspension modifications.

The AU1 came standard with 15" tyres and the AU2 came standard with 16" (To accomodate the bigger brakes I think)

Aside from that, there really isn't too much in it, I own a Series 1 and my Father owns a Series 2 so I've driven both quite a bit.

Driving the AU1 and AU2 are totally different experiences, the decreased cabin noise and better brakes make a world of difference, if your brother can afford it, definately make the stretch to AU2, it's well worth the extra few thousand.

Especially on long haul trips, the decreased cabin noise will be a blessing and the brakes on my AU1 are pathetic. I'm currently looking into aftermarket components and the Update brake booster.

Last edited by AUForte; 06-28-2003 at 02:33.
AUForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:03   #3 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Thanks AUForte, any fuel consumption figures?
Old 06-28-2003, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

im voting for series 2 aswell
worth saving a little bit longer
Old 06-28-2003, 03:36   #5 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper8LitreV10
Thanks AUForte, any fuel consumption figures?
Fuel consumption wise I can't really help you as my AU is Dual Fuel and Dad's is Dedicated LPG.

However apparently the early AU's were thirstier than the later ones, another point for a Series 2.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:10   #6 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Thanks for the replies guys they have helped a heap, I'll be sure to tell my brother
Old 06-28-2003, 19:57   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUForte
.... the brakes on my AU1 are pathetic.....
I have heard plenty of people say that so maybe there is something in it but I'll add my experience;

I had an early build AU Forte company hack for about a year that I had the pleasure to take on a company sponsored defensive driving course. The other cars there on the day included EL Falcons and numerous Commodores VS-VT and a few Magnas.

Now it may have been my exceptional driving skills (though I doubt it as we were told to stand on the brake pedal so that we would become accustomed to the ABS) but the car that consistently stopped in the shortest distance was that AU! No witches hats were harmed by that car on the day. I was always impressed by its stopping power and good pedal feel. I have since driven AU2-3's and can't honestly say they feel any better in the brakes department.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:49   #8 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR
I have heard plenty of people say that so maybe there is something in it but I'll add my experience;

I had an early build AU Forte company hack for about a year that I had the pleasure to take on a company sponsored defensive driving course. The other cars there on the day included EL Falcons and numerous Commodores VS-VT and a few Magnas.

Now it may have been my exceptional driving skills (though I doubt it as we were told to stand on the brake pedal so that we would become accustomed to the ABS) but the car that consistently stopped in the shortest distance was that AU! No witches hats were harmed by that car on the day. I was always impressed by its stopping power and good pedal feel. I have since driven AU2-3's and can't honestly say they feel any better in the brakes department.
Mine used to be about the same as my Dad's AU2, even go as far as saying the pedal felt better but there is something strange going on now.

Can't lock them up in the wet FFS! Pedal feel inconsistent and generally crap, maybe a manifold vacuum/brake booster issue however Ford think there's nothing wrong with it.

There is something awry because I know it used to be better. The brakes are worthless in their current state.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:07   #9 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

take both for a spin and see what you think.

I would go series 2 based on my experience. I am sure if you shop around hard enough you could find a series 2 for not too much more- there are bargains to be had!
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 20:13   #10 (permalink)
I am The Brain

My brother told me there was a series 2 there at the same price.....only told me today the dork so if he was to go a falcon it may be that series 2....but he is still deciding on many different cars
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons