AU steering rack recall - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2005, 05:14   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

AU steering rack recall

Has anyone else recieved a letter from ford for a recall on there AU. I have a 2000 AUII forte wagon that is now under recall for for faulty "retaining hardware" on the steering rack. Can any one please tell me what the story is please as my nearest ford dealer is about 600km away. thanx in advance.

ps the letter read third and final notice however this is the first letter i've recieved (only brought the car in december)
wizric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 15:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: AU steering rack recall

I had the same letter (2000 AU II Forte Wagon) and had it done at a local dealer. The dealer told me there were two main bolts that hold the steering rack onto the car. In some situations these have come loose, which as you can imagine would not be good for steering. Their fix was to weld (yes weld) the bolt so it couldn't come loose.

Personally I think welding is a quick and dirty fix. What's wrong with using a sprung washer and some bolt glue, or getting another bolt which has a hole for a split pin ?
aussie_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:18   #3 (permalink)
BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_man
I had the same letter (2000 AU II Forte Wagon) and had it done at a local dealer. The dealer told me there were two main bolts that hold the steering rack onto the car. In some situations these have come loose, which as you can imagine would not be good for steering. Their fix was to weld (yes weld) the bolt so it couldn't come loose.

Personally I think welding is a quick and dirty fix. What's wrong with using a sprung washer and some bolt glue, or getting another bolt which has a hole for a split pin ?

I pretty sure that the problem was actually the captive nuts into which the rack securing bolts screwed - the welding was to make sure that the nuts were indeed 'captive"....
Old 03-24-2005, 01:25   #4 (permalink)

the problem was actualy the 2 studs that hold the rack to the ALLOY cross member if not torqued correctly broke the stud/studs. I believe the prob is a over tensioning prob that actualy pulls the thread out off the ALLOY CROSS MEMBER.WHAT I CANNOT believe is you are getting a recall now. is that they were recalled in victoria at least 8 months ago. CHEERS GREG
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14   #5 (permalink)

I got the same letter last Friday i went to my local Ford dealers and said it was only an half hour job but couldnt do it until the 12th of April and had to leave the car all day which basically means its a pain in the ass to organise to get it done.
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32   #6 (permalink)

I did this about a year ago, I had left it at the dealer for less than an hour.
Old 03-29-2005, 23:51   #7 (permalink)

After you have gotten this recall done prey you dont need to have your
steering rack replaced>
It is a lot more expensive to change the rack after the recall is done
BIGDOG
BIGDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 00:58   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlea1
I got the same letter last Friday i went to my local Ford dealers and said it was only an half hour job but couldnt do it until the 12th of April and had to leave the car all day which basically means its a pain in the ass to organise to get it done.
When I was at the dealers with my other AU when this recall thing started, the dealer said it would only take about 5/10 mins and offered to do it right there and then..
Laurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:24   #9 (permalink)

All they do is put some weld on the studs that hold the steering rack to the crossmember, the stud that hangs out on the inside...
It would make removal of the studs very difficult if it needs to be changed..
All this has come about because when the nuts that hold the rack get tightened too much, they actually make the studs turn and go loose..
I never had this performed on my ute, i had it up on a hoist and checked it out for myself, and because i dont get it serviced at a dealer, i do it myself, and they were fine, nice and tight, so no point getting it done..
But im not saying for anyone to not get it done, get them checked, just to make sure.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:31   #10 (permalink)

I had my AU Series 3 wagon in for a 60k service two weeks ago. My Ford dealer didn't say anything about this. The only recall I have got, was for the cooling system, that was 18 months ago.

Does this apply to AU Series 3 ? Thanks
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons