Ford Forums banner

AU thermofans into and ED?

5K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  needturbo6 
#1 ·
i got given a set of au thermos today [thanks tibbo] and was wondering if theyll work? i know you can but a kit to make the EF-EL thermos work without replacing the EEC, but can i make AU thermos work too?

#3 ·
Yes you can make them work, no they will NOT fit. There is not enough clearance to fit AU thermo's between the radiator and the triple belt drive on your ED as the thermo's are deeper than EF ones. I was able to use AU thermo's on my EA as i converted to a serpentine belt drive which don't stick out as far...

#8 ·
ohwells then, they were for free. thanks for the info guys. ill try finding some EL ones.

#10 ·
au's fit, ive got them on my car

all you need is: au thermos
and need a thermo switch. (can be bought from auto barn for like $65)

the shroud is a bit 'stikky outtier' than the ef ones... you will need to cut a few places in the shroud (easy 5sec job) so that they can slide down and clear the clutch fan drive shaft. (or u can grind it off... but its easier to cut plastic than metal....)

NO BELTS WILL HIT THE SHROUD

however you may have an issue with the 4 bolts that are on the water pump....
these 4 bolts only hit under load on the engine (you know how your engine moves alot under full throttle) i used a dremel to shave away a few spots which i thought the water pump bolts would hit..

hope this helps.... if you want any pics or anything let me know i can go out there and take some for u.

#11 ·
Bozza did it like a week ago. Did everyone forget already? The only thing it fouls is the thread for the clutch fan on the water pump, and that's not needed when you have thermos ;) Grind it off and hey presto.

Sundeep

#14 ·
I got AU ones one my EB2 also

I didnt have to cut anything, but i did put them inupside downso the wiring was on the drivers side.
And they are held in with a clip that one of my mates made out of some rubbish lying on the floor :)

I am also runnin EF Ghia wiring loom and EL ecu, so i didnt need the DC kit :)

#15 ·
oh and you'll have to tuck the lip on the surround thingy under the radiator.

And i have got a water pump with the Clutch fan extention chopped off aswell

#22 ·
one advantage is that from ford the AU ones are $220 and the EL ones are $$$350.......

even from wreckers they still charge 250 for second hand EL ones

i think ill get brand new AU ones, turn em upside down and voila

#24 ·
I got my EL ones for $125 from the wreckers, and had many others quoting around $180.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.