AU Versus BA Base Models - AP Goes Out on a Limb - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

AU Versus BA Base Models - AP Goes Out on a Limb

I've been thinking about styling of the Ford Falcons between BA and AU. To make this fair I'm comparing (as an example) an AU3 SR Falcon with a BA XT noting that you can buy a reasonable AU3 SR for $16k which is a bargain really.

Anyhow, I've looked closely at these cars and I really think the AU3 was finally refined to a point where the styling worked. With a charcoal interior even the inside looks pretty damn good (you could even say the trim plastics quality is better since no AUs I look at have those rough untrimmed edges on the BA - e.g. handbrake trim).

On the outside the designers of the AU did a pretty damn good job. The way different features integrate across boundaries (take the way the taillight bezels and contours flow into the rear bar) shows a design team that went a step beyond the norm. The BA doesn't have this same level of attention to detail. I recognise the BA basic form is more popular but I think an AU3 with a rear spoiler (to hide the biggest flaw which was the droppy bum) is a classy combination. Add the standard AU3 skirts, darker headlight bezels, colour mirror housings and clear indicators and the effect is very good in most colours.

Many people may disagree but try and look at these cars closely and look for some of the detail like the tail lights and I'm sure you'll agree that the little details are better on AU. I'd like to see some of these features appear on the successor to BA.

AP.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 17:38   #2 (permalink)
SM

Re: AU Versus BA Base Models - AP Goes Out on a Limb

Having both an AU and a BA I would have to agree with many of your points Pete. Basic colour coding of the mirrors, side stripe and grill, clear indicators look the goods. I prefer the interior of the BA handsdown.
Old 05-09-2004, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

You do have some good points there AP, but I'll take the BA anyday. Much more pleasant on the eye IMO.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Crikey

I like the interior of my AU better than the BA and as you say with a rear wing fitted the AU droopy bum looks a treat.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I love my AU, i think the design was a step ahead. Only problem is, it was a little bit "out there" for most of Joe Public. That said i would swap a BA interior into mine if i got a hold of one!
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
XR8's are the chosen ones

Totally correct Aussie Pete. For all the bagging the AU cops, the addition of some minor details such as a spoiler and side skirts, hides the aptly termed "droppy bum" and turns it into a very decent shape. Of course I may be biased because I drive an AUIII XR8.... However, one up on the BA owning AU baggers are the "Tickford" badges. These seem to add a "mystical" quality to the car which is much revered and much missed by car enthusiasts I knock around with (even some from the dark side! and Nissan Skyline enthusiasts). Seems the name FPV change is taking a while to catch on and gain the respect which Tickford so painstakingly built up over the years. IMO making the stock GT faster than a Clubsport would be a step in the right direction...
Member #007 O.F.R.
Member AU Preservation Society
bladeXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 22:16   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

The AU3 interior in warm charcoal with the SR trim is actually a well presented bit of gear. Like I said we're talking base models here. Think Forte/SR versus XT. I think the AU3 SR was what the AU should have been from the start.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 22:26   #8 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

i think the AU was overstyled,
whereas the BA is simple and clean
Old 05-09-2004, 22:31   #9 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

No argument from me AP..........
Old 05-09-2004, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
Crikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeXR8
....However, one up on the BA owning AU baggers are the "Tickford" badges. These seem to add a "mystical" quality to the car which is much revered and much missed by car enthusiasts I knock around with (even some from the dark side! and Nissan Skyline enthusiasts). Seems the name FPV change is taking a while to catch on and gain the respect which Tickford so painstakingly built up over the years. IMO making the stock GT faster than a Clubsport would be a step in the right direction...

Blade I think the owner of the BA XR8 I followed last night was thinking the same thing and wanted an each way bet as well. He had a Tickford wings badge under the Falcon badge on the boot lid. WTF.......!
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons