Ford Forums banner

AU Window Tinting

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  AUsome 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I had my AU2 tinted (darkest legal) last tuesday and when I washed the car on Saturday I noticed that the tinting on all 4 doors is out, sortof. I took a picture of it Here. The picture isnt too clear but it shows what I mean. You can see (on the rear door) starting from the top going down, there is a 'gap' where the rubber is and sort of goes down on an angle, if you get what i'm trying to say. You can also see it in that pic on the front door, but the gap is sort of the other way round starting from the bottom.

Anyone else with tint on their AU have this problem?

I went and saw the guys that did the tint and the conversation went a little something like this...

Me: What happened to my window tinting?
Them: This is a problem with the AU's. They use a single piece rubber which doesn't allow us to tint the windows properly.
Me: So if I go and have a look at some AU's around they should all be like this?
Them: No, Ford later changed the rubber to a two piece rubber.
Me: Which cars were affected?
Them: Series 1 cars.
Me: But my cars a series 2!
Them: Ummm... Are you sure?
Me: Yeh, 100% sure.
Them: They must have used it on series 2 as well.
Me: Is there anything we can do?
Them: We can do it properly by taking the windows out of the doors and doing them.
Me: How much?
Them: About $300 extra.
Me: F**k that!
Them: I'll have another go at that rear door, I may be able to get anoher few mm extra for you. Come look at this BA XR8's rubbers.

I was thinking shouldn't I just be able to buy new rubbers for the doors from an AU3 or whichever one uses the two piece rubber and they should be able to do it properly? Or even a BA's rubber since they are the same arent they? Anyone know how much these rubbers are and how easy it would be to swap them over? Does anyone else with an AU2 have this problem? Or any series? Thanks.

See less See more
#7 ·
Mines the same. Look at it from out the car, you can see the tint and where it starts. My parents AU 3 SR Wagon is exactley the same. I've seen other AU's the same. I figured it was normal.

Don't worry about it. After a few weeks you forget all about it until you find a thread like this, and all the horrible memory's come flooding back. Doh!

#9 · (Edited)
[/QUOTE]
I was thinking shouldn't I just be able to buy new rubbers for the doors from an AU3 or whichever one uses the two piece rubber and they should be able to do it properly? Or even a BA's rubber since they are the same arent they? Anyone know how much these rubbers are and how easy it would be to swap them over? Does anyone else with an AU2 have this problem? Or any series? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if Ford has used the same rubber system with my BA as they did on the AU. Got my tint done by a mobile guy this morning and i was with him the whole time. He had no rubber dramas at all. He just pulled the top of the door trim out of the way so he could drop the tint lower than the trim. the door frame rubbers didn't pose any dramas at all. F'n great job and am impressed.

#10 ·
bucknaked said:
Mines the same. Look at it from out the car, you can see the tint and where it starts. My parents AU 3 SR Wagon is exactley the same. I've seen other AU's the same. I figured it was normal.

Don't worry about it. After a few weeks you forget all about it until you find a thread like this, and all the horrible memory's come flooding back. Doh!
Sorry for bringin back the memories mate. I think it looks a bit dodgy. Is yours as bad as mine?

#11 ·
AUsome said:
Sorry for bringin back the memories mate. I think it looks a bit dodgy. Is yours as bad as mine?
Not quite as bad, but on mine you can see a definate line all the way around. Mines a straight line. Yours is a little angled.

I was dissapointed with it, and got a similar speil from Solar Tint. From the inside of the car, you can't see the gaps.

#12 ·
bucknaked said:
Not quite as bad, but on mine you can see a definate line all the way around. Mines a straight line. Yours is a little angled.

I was dissapointed with it, and got a similar speil from Solar Tint. From the inside of the car, you can't see the gaps.
That pic was showing the worst one, which they are going to redo, and hopefuly it will come up a little better. I too am disappointed with the tint as well. I thought it would have come up perfect like every other car i've seen. True you can't see the gap from the outside, but everyone will look at the car from the outside, and when you or someone else go to get inside the car, you/they will see it. Just looks ugly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.