AU XR8- r they any good - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 03:03   #1 (permalink)

AU XR8- r they any good

I am currently looking to buy a second hand xr8. I am trying to decide between EL or AU.

I test drove a 99 auto AU xr8 today. The power didnt impress me much, but i liked the overall feel of the car. What i need to know is are there any major faults with the 99 AU

is the EL any better or worse?

any comments on the AU XR8 auto will be much appreciated as i will prob buy this one next week
XDUB351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Re: AU XR8- r they any good

Welcome to FordForums XDUB351.

I would recommend the AUII or AUIII XR8. The series I has 185kw (nothing wrong with that, I had one myself.. lol), the sII 200kw, and later sII and all sIII 220kw. They're awesome cars the AU XR8 sedans, and the pick of the bunch is the sIII. The IRS suspension is very very good, even better than the current BA Falcon IRS system some say, and all Holden IRS systems to date. Looks wise, I love the look of the series I XR with full body kit. Much better than II and III in my opinion, but the series II and III have a better braking package (2 piston caliper on front for II and III, series I has a single piston caliper on the front), and the aftermarket for brake upgrades is much more supported for the sII and sIII.

Being a '99 I think it's a AUII. The AU II and III XR8 200kw and 220kw engines were all hand assembled. Look for the engine builders plaque on the drivers side rocker cover. See pic below for example of what it looks like. EL or AU? AU by a mile!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D_gariglio.jpg (97.2 KB, 58 views)
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I have a 99 model AU XR8 - it's still series one. Series 2 didn't start until Feb 2000.

The series ones are still a good car, but essentially they are a similar engine package to the series 2 ELs, in an AU body and with IRS. It would be hard to toss up between a series 2 EL XR8 and an AU series 1, but I would (and did) go the AU as it's the newer model (even though it's now 5 variants old).

Why not go for a series 1 TE or TS50. 200kw motor, and a great car to boot!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:35   #4 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XR8
I have a 99 model AU XR8 - it's still series one. Series 2 didn't start until Feb 2000.

The series ones are still a good car, but essentially they are a similar engine package to the series 2 ELs, in an AU body and with IRS. It would be hard to toss up between a series 2 EL XR8 and an AU series 1, but I would (and did) go the AU as it's the newer model (even though it's now 5 variants old).

Why not go for a series 1 TE or TS50. 200kw motor, and a great car to boot!
Yep, your right JC. The AUII XR8 was Feb 2000 on. I agree it's a hard choice between a ELII XR8 and AUI XR8. Both had 185kw motors and both performed well, with the ELII slightly in front in overall performance, but the AU's look so much more better .

Agree with the comment on the series 1 TE50 (200kw) and TS50 (220kw), awesome cars , but the s1 TS50's are very hard to find, only 54 ever made and 1 has already been written off that I know of, so now it's down to 53.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:04   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys

id love a ts/te 50 but theres not many around and i imagine the price would be up a bit.
This 99 au i looked at has body kit, 17's , 95000 km's. The yard want $23999. U guys think thats ok price??

Also auto vs manual -- the salesman reckons the manual is only rated at 1400kg or so towing capacity and the auto at 2400 or so ( figures wont be correct bcause i cant remember, but he said a big difference). Is this true or bullshit?

Where's the horsepower difference between series 1 and 2/3 ?? Is it in bolt ons or is it in heads/cam/comp ratio ??
Old 11-27-2004, 05:15   #6 (permalink)
XR82GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDUB351
Thanks for the info guys

id love a ts/te 50 but theres not many around and i imagine the price would be up a bit.
Series 1 T's should be in the mid 20's by now I think dont quote me on it though

This 99 au i looked at has body kit, 17's , 95000 km's. The yard want $23999. U guys think thats ok price??
Have a look around as you should be able to find a AU2 for that money. And as said before the brakes on the series 1 were BAD

Also auto vs manual -- the salesman reckons the manual is only rated at 1400kg or so towing capacity and the auto at 2400 or so ( figures wont be correct bcause i cant remember, but he said a big difference). Is this true or bullshit?

Na he is on the money with the towing capacity. But performance wise the manuals are much quicker and cheaper to mod to a point. To get the auto's cracking your going to need at least 3.9 diff gears and a bigger stall convertor.

Where's the horsepower difference between series 1 and 2/3 ?? Is it in bolt ons or is it in heads/cam/comp ratio ??

Headwork,camshafts,Throtle bodys, ECU, comp ratio I think
On a side not though a AU3 xr8 should be mid to high 20's as well with the 220kw engine. And if you are performance orientated go for a manual or you'll regret it. Trust me I do

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:31   #7 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

I'd love a ts/te 50 but theres not many around and i imagine the price would be up a bit.

Car yard price that sounds about right. Obviously you have to haggle them down a bit more. It's always best to keep looking out for the best deal too.

The other thing that may or may not be a concern is that the 200/220kw motor (think its the 220) has to be run on Premium only. If that's not a concern then don't worry.

The T series on insurance will be way way higher. The EL will also be more expensive than the AU for insurance.

Go the manual for sure.

Also like the others said, if u can scrape in buying a series 2, its worth it for the better standard brakes and the cheaper cost of upgrading them to even better brakes again. S1 brakes aren't the same as series 2 & 3.

Thats my 2c.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:51   #8 (permalink)

i didnt pay a great deal of attention to the brakes on this series 1 at the yard, but it does have slotted rotors on the front. Is this standard??
Old 11-27-2004, 13:14   #9 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

$23990 is a bit hot for a S1 xr8, if you look around you will find there are SII/III for that sort of $$. Forget the S1 and go for the later models. S III/220s are crackers........
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 15:45   #10 (permalink)
XR82GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDUB351
i didnt pay a great deal of attention to the brakes on this series 1 at the yard, but it does have slotted rotors on the front. Is this standard??
Slotted rotors aren't standard but a set of DBA slotted rotors is cheap as so dont pay extra for them.

However if the fronts have a tickford logo on the caliper they have the premium brakes.

The problem with the AU1 brakes is the nasty little single pistion calipers up front.

As much as it might upset you I wouldnt buy that one you have seen in the yard as you can do better for the price in my opinion...

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons