AU3 water leak inside car !!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 03:17   #1 (permalink)

AU3 water leak inside car !!!

Help!!! With the recent heavy rain in Perth,i am experiencing a water leak from under the dash on the passenger side above near the ECU flooding the floor mat.This mainly happens when i am driving.The outside vents are draining with passenger side draining better than the otherside.I have only had the car 6 months, is this common on this model? 2002 AU3 SR sedan.
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 06:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: AU3 water leak inside car !!!

hey mate i dont know how common it is but the best thing to do in any water leak is to simulate rain and pull back any trims or carpet possible to see where the water is getting in from. you'll need some help from a mate to hold the hose.

The biggest cause of water leaks are from sunroofs because they have drainage pipes that can block or crack up. i dont know if you have one but if you do this would be my first suspect.

hope i've somehow helped.
silvaxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:19   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise, i have sprayed the windscreen and the vents number of times over the last couple of weeks and there was no leaks but on friday we had heavy again rain in Perth and water started to drip on the floor mat as i was driving home from work.I think the water is filling up in the windscreen vent and getting into out side air duct.I have tried to flush the vents and drain holes.It's hard to remove any mud,leaves etc.Any ideas on removing.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:43   #4 (permalink)

that vent you are talking about is called a scuttle panel. you need to pull the wipers off to remove. it shouldn't be too difficult. The leak shouldn't be coming from there for the simple reason that there should be no access to the inside of the car unless at some point someone has removed a rubber grommet or put a hole in it to pass wiring through for example for an amplifier.

it shouldnt be difficult at all as nothing is on a falcon. give it a look. the hardest part is you cant really fix it if its not happening.

hopefully if you pull some trims out of the inside of the car you can see a water stain from the previous times its leaked. good luck i hate water leaks!!!
silvaxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:11   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaxr6
that vent you are talking about is called a scuttle panel. you need to pull the wipers off to remove. it shouldn't be too difficult. The leak shouldn't be coming from there for the simple reason that there should be no access to the inside of the car unless at some point someone has removed a rubber grommet or put a hole in it to pass wiring through for example for an amplifier.

it shouldnt be difficult at all as nothing is on a falcon. give it a look. the hardest part is you cant really fix it if its not happening.

hopefully if you pull some trims out of the inside of the car you can see a water stain from the previous times its leaked. good luck i hate water leaks!!!
Thanks again for your advise.More rain is due tomorrow, i will keep my eyes open.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40   #6 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebell AU3SR
Thanks for the advise, i have sprayed the windscreen and the vents number of times over the last couple of weeks and there was no leaks but on friday we had heavy again rain in Perth and water started to drip on the floor mat as i was driving home from work.I think the water is filling up in the windscreen vent and getting into out side air duct.I have tried to flush the vents and drain holes.It's hard to remove any mud,leaves etc.Any ideas on removing.
Hi,mate, let me give you my 2 cents,
The easiest way to remove any leaves accumulated inside the heater box in your model is to remove the fan resistor that sits behind the glovebox. You'll have to remove the glovebox and the resistor is only held in by 2 screws. BUT, the most common cause for water leaks in AU is a shitty windscreen replacement job. If you see any indications at all that your windscreen has been replaced, look for signs that it hasn't been done properly. Look for water marks behind the A-pillar trims and above the glovebox. cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=backlash1]Hi,mate, let me give you my 2 cents,
The easiest way to remove any leaves accumulated inside the heater box in your model is to remove the fan resistor that sits behind the glovebox. You'll have to remove the glovebox and the resistor is only held in by 2 screws. BUT, the most common cause for water leaks in AU is a shitty windscreen replacement job. If you see any indications at all that your windscreen has been replaced, look for signs that it hasn't been done properly. Look for water marks behind the A-pillar trims and above the glovebox. cheers
marc[/QUOTE

Hi Marc, thanks for your 2 cents!
The windscreen was replaced back in february this year,no problems very happy with the replacement job.I have only recentley noticed the water leaking onto the mat.Yesterday i took the car back to Windsceen Obrien, explained the problem to guys.The first thing the guy did was open the bonnet and squirt some water on the firewall around behind the washer bottle, less than a minute later water was in the car.He said this is very common on aust built cars and the main cause can the rubber grommets and cracking on the panels.After that he checked the windscreen for leaks inside, removed all trims on the passenger side and could not locate any leaks.He also explained about foam that is used by ford to fill gaps between panels.The foam breaks down over a couple of years and this can lead to leaks.They also removed the scuttle panel vent to inspect, looked all ok.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Firebell AU3SR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash1
Hi,mate, let me give you my 2 cents,
marc[/QUOTE

Hi Marc, thanks for your 2 cents!
The windscreen was replaced back in february this year,no problems very happy with the replacement job.I have only recentley noticed the water leaking onto the mat.Yesterday i took the car back to Windsceen Obrien, explained the problem to guys.The first thing the guy did was open the bonnet and squirt some water on the firewall around behind the washer bottle, less than a minute later water was in the car.He said this is very common on aust built cars and the main cause can the rubber grommets and cracking on the panels.After that he checked the windscreen for leaks inside, removed all trims on the passenger side and could not locate any leaks.He also explained about foam that is used by ford to fill gaps between panels.The foam breaks down over a couple of years and this can lead to leaks.They also removed the scuttle panel vent to inspect, looked all ok.
Any ideas about the firewall!!!Steve
Old 09-14-2007, 00:47   #9 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi again

Quote:
The first thing the guy did was open the bonnet and squirt some water on the firewall around behind the washer bottle, less than a minute later water was in the car.He said this is very common on aust built cars and the main cause can the rubber grommets and cracking on the panels.
This is not quite true, at least not for Fords. Panel cracks are always the direct result of impact damage. They don't just crack because they're built here, but rather because they've been in an accident. Only AU utes of a certain build date had a problem with a welding point coming apart inside the plenum chamber (where the water drains below the windscreen) that would cause them to leak above the pedals on the driver's side. So that's not your case.

Quote:
After that he checked the windscreen for leaks inside, removed all trims on the passenger side and could not locate any leaks.He also explained about foam that is used by ford to fill gaps between panels.The foam breaks down over a couple of years and this can lead to leaks.They also removed the scuttle panel vent to inspect, looked all ok.
This is also not true. This is an elastic foam which is not only used between the firewall panels but through the whole car. It cannot brake because it's not hard. If you wanna see what it looks like, take the trims off inside the boot and look anywhere 2 or more panels join.
What does happen however is that sometimes not enough of this sealant is used at the assembly plant, and over time, with panel expansion/contraction a gap is created. In your case it'll probably be where 4 panels meet in the left corner below the windscreen. The only way to see it is to remove the dash and the insulation, which is not hard, but time consuming. If you're not up for it, any decent panel shop that has experience working with Fords can do this sealing job for you, but I reckon they'll charge you through the nose for it. If you decide to do it yourself and have any questions about removing this or that you're welcome to ask. Hope this helps. cheers
Marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:30   #10 (permalink)

Hi Marc,
Thanks again for your assistance on this matter,what about sealing the corner from under the bonnent eg removing the washer bottle etc.When i purchased the car from the ford dealer, i bought a 3 year ford warrenty, i think this problem shoud be covered under this warrenty and at any ford dealer.The local dealer tells me i have to take the car back to the dealer were i got it from , which is some distance away since i have moved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons