AUI Forte Vs EF Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 02:09   #1 (permalink)

AUI Forte Vs EF Fairmont

I am about to buy a falcon, and was looking at EF fairmonts - however today i found out i may be abler to get an AU Forte - (well maintained, full log book servicing, company car) for the same money - approx $8K. The Forte has 220K or so K's the fairmont i have looked at is 180K's.
What do people think - what would you get in this situation? - both cars in VGC - The EF is thru a dealer, the AU will be private sale. What are teh pro's and cons of each car - IE what to look out for?
rt_10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: AUI Forte Vs EF Fairmont

dude i was just looking at www.pickles.com.au (melbourne section) in the ford falcon section and there are ALOT better buys there than what you can get. im talking the fixed price cars like AU2/3 Futuras and fairmonts for less than 10k with way less KMs that you are looking at. go look before you throw away your money.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:36   #3 (permalink)
habib

try www.fowles.com.au
for the record went on wed and saw ef/el's go for $5000 and under with less then 200,000 on the clock au's wouldnt be that much more expensive
freddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:20   #4 (permalink)

yeh i agree... i just bought the wife a EL fairmont ghia with twin airbags, full leather, tints, premium sound with subwoofer and DSP, 100k on the clock for well under 9 grand.
the thing is like brand new inside and is 100 percent original 2nd owner, never been repaired...nothing. really nice car (even compared to my BA XR8)
there are bargains out there but we saw several at dealers and they were 12k, 13900, and 15900 with similar kilometers. others with over 200kms were still asking well over 10 grand... dreaming!!
go for low kays i reckon, the year model is less important. if its done lots of kms say 200- 300,000 every part on the car is getting very worn out and near the end of its usefull life.$$$$$ repairs.
even a 20 year old car will have plenty of life left if its only got 50,000 on the clock.
the fairmonts and even more so fairmont ghia's have heaps of luxury options as standard, for a little bit extra over a falcon they really are great value and realy nice to drive. often owned by older people so they are well looked after.
CBYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:41   #5 (permalink)

I would take the EF without a doubt. Less k's, more features, better looking and being through a dealer you will get some sort of warranty.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
habib

the ef/el's were gli/futura so if your after a fairmont/ghia should get 1 for less then $8000 easy it really depends on who wonts the car
freddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:14   #7 (permalink)

I myself would not hesitate on an AU. I have had an EA, EBII, EFII Fairmont, AU Fairmont and now a Territory TS. I got rid of the crappy EFII and kept the AU, and so now have a Terri and AU. The AU is a far better car. ALthough you are comparing to levels of luxury (Forte and Fairmont), I would still go for the AU. Way better fuel aconomy, excellent power to weight ratio, cheaper parts, less likely to have rust (check around door hinges on the EL), better ride, easier to clean, improved engine seals etc, etc,.

I love fords, but the EFII was the worst I ever had, heavy, juice guzzling, rattly and gutless.

Hope this helps, my point of view only.
grahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

MY vote - EF
Old 12-11-2004, 05:28   #9 (permalink)
.au member

EF for sure, simply because of the warranty.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:38   #10 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I'm pretty sure there would be no warranty on either of these cars. Warranty only has to be provided where the vehicle is under 10 years old AND the km are less than 160,000.

I would go the AU. The equipment levels of an AU Forte are about par with an EF Fairmont, with ABS, power windows and climate control a/c being about the only exceptions. Having said that, I would not actually buy either of these as the kms are just too high. Go to auctions and get a lower km one (or even around the same) for a couple of grand less.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons