AUIII XR6 vs AUIII XR6 VCT ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 18:40   #1 (permalink)
AU newbie fanatic

AUIII XR6 vs AUIII XR6 VCT ?

Hi everyone,

I have settled on an AUIII XR6 as my next car, and I noticed there were a few VCTs floating about as well. What I wanted to know is, is it worth the extra $3,000 or so it would cost me to get a VCT? Are they genuinely a nicer car to drive? $3,000 nicer?

What are the differences in the specs? I know the VCT has a Tickford engine and independent rear suspension... and I think rear power windows? over the standard XR6. Any comments very, very welcome, as I'm close to buying the car!

Also I heard the XR6 and VCT are a better ride than the XR8 apart from the pure power and grunt factor of the XR8... any comments? XR8s are out of my price range anyway, and I've got an old V8 that I roll out of the garage on weekends for a bit of a rumble if I feel that way inclined...
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: AUIII XR6 vs AUIII XR6 VCT ?

The VCT stands for Variable Cam Timing. Due to having IRS the VCT is also a heavier vehicle and there has been a fair bit of controversy on how to get power out of them. The man you want to talk to is Casper, send him a PM. He has done a fair bit of research into VCT's as he owns one himself. Also, all XR's have the Tickford engines, that is what makes them XR's.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
AU newbie fanatic

Thanks BlueAU. Yeah, I made a mistake re: the Tickford engine comment.. I meant the VCT had a more powerful engine... but not by much, I think, and you're saying they're a bit heavier so maybe it's not worth it from a performance point of view?

Handling is important to me, so maybe the IRS would be a good idea...
Old 08-16-2004, 20:22   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Definately send a PM to Casper mate, if your not too sure how to send a Personal Message, I will get him to drop you a PM and you can discuss the VCT. He is definately the man to talk to.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 20:26   #5 (permalink)
Bucknaked Is My Real Name

I have an AU III XR6 VCT. I'm not sure what the diiference in handling is suppossed to be, but I reckon the IRS ride is like an old dog. It's fantastic when you need to use it in cornering and at higher speeds, but in a straightline in everyday driving conditions, its bumpy, ridgid and uncomfortable. For me, the non IRS models is better for overall everyday driving. I've driven both. My folks own a futura series 3 with the intec. If you feel like a squirt and a bit of fun, go the VCT model.

Another person to have a chat with is JC-XR8. I think he had a series 1 vct before switvhing to the XR8 and also has an AUIII forte.

For an extra $3,000, i'd stick with the standard 4.0. In my mind, its not worth the extra.
bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 20:31   #6 (permalink)

Weve got a HP wish we got a VCT in some ways, goes great but a VCT does handle and ride so much better because of the IRS so if the slighly less stright line performance doesnt worry you go for the VCT.
Old 08-16-2004, 20:37   #7 (permalink)
Bucknaked Is My Real Name

I must have got a lemon, cause my XR6 is a bumpy ride. My 88 Camry has a better ride than the IRS.
bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 20:55   #8 (permalink)
AU newbie fanatic

Thanks guys!

BlueAU, no idea how to send a personal message, but if you could get Casper or whoever else has an indepth history with a VCT to drop me a line or post on this threat, that'd be great!

I'm still thinking the VCT might be a good buy. I do a bit of country driving in the bumpy bits of NSW so it might be a bit of fun...
Old 08-16-2004, 21:02   #9 (permalink)
AUPS Member

Ive got a AUI XR6VCT also. My dads got a AUIII XR6 HP and its slightlty quicker than the vct, but I reckon its an even more bumpyer ride than the VCT. The VCT handles so much better than the HP, but you can have a little for fun with your back end in the HP

Overal it comes down to what you want! Better handling? or better performance? Plus the HP is a much easier car to mod.
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 21:04   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

To be honest i have driven both and there isnt that much differance between the two suspension wise.
Id go for the XR6 HP.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons