Aussie designed V8. Just a thought... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58   #1 (permalink)
MADABOUTFORDS

Aussie designed V8. Just a thought...

I'm curious if any one knows of Ford Australia experimenting with chopping two cylinders off the 6 clyinder block and joining them in 1 "V" angle to create our own V8. There may be huge problems or it might be simple? The height of the engine etc. But if it could be done then the development costs would be offset by not having to buy and ship from the US and may solve low end torgue problems of the 5.4 modular engine. By my estimations it would be a 5.2 or a 5.3 litre displacement. Cheers
Blueblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Re: Aussie designed V8. Just a thought...

Sounds cool, but I dont think Ford America would allow it....

I think it would be much cheaper just to pay for the engine and ship it then to develop and make it ourselves.

Dont forget ford is pumping out the v8 in the USA in volumes we could never hope to achieve which makes production costs much lower and hopefully the cost of the engine lower :)
Old 01-12-2006, 22:01   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblud
I'm curious if any one knows of Ford Australia experimenting with chopping two cylinders off the 6 clyinder block and joining them in 1 "V" angle to create our own V8. There may be huge problems or it might be simple? The height of the engine etc. But if it could be done then the development costs would be offset by not having to buy and ship from the US
It would be a complete wast of time and money.

Quote:
and may solve low end torgue problems of the 5.4 modular engine. By my estimations it would be a 5.2 or a 5.3 litre displacement. Cheers
the only reason the why the 5.4 modular is down on bottom end torque is the state of tune that ford have programed into the PCM/ECU. With the Edit you get back all the lost power from ford poor PCM tune.
Old 01-15-2006, 22:59   #4 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
It would be a complete wast of time and money.

the only reason the why the 5.4 modular is down on bottom end torque is the state of tune that ford have programed into the PCM/ECU. With the Edit you get back all the lost power from ford poor PCM tune.
Yeah, the term is "strangled" from factory.

And on the original post, a complete waste of time and money. Im supprised when the BA came out they still had our 4ltr 6. In retrospect, it was a good decision. But jeez, in certain circles the 6 cops a hiding.
Old 01-16-2006, 00:06   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm curious if any one knows of Ford Australia experimenting with chopping two cylinders off the 6 clyinder block and joining them in 1 "V" angle to create our own V8. There may be huge problems or it might be simple? The height of the engine etc. But if it could be done then the development costs would be offset by not having to buy and ship from the US and may solve low end torgue problems of the 5.4 modular engine. By my estimations it would be a 5.2 or a 5.3 litre displacement. Cheers
They did this to the GT() in the states.

Interesting Fact: The GT90's engine is two twin-turbo inline 6 engines fused together to form a hybrid V-12.
Old 01-16-2006, 23:03   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN
The GT90's engine is two twin-turbo inline 6 engines fused together to form a hybrid V-12.
I think this was actually 2 V6 engines welded together inline, not 2 Inline 6s.

The only reason Ford still builds or develops the I6 here is that they have all the production line to build it with and the Australian Government (read public) keep giving Ford more money when they cry.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermono
I think this was actually 2 V6 engines welded together inline, not 2 Inline 6s.

The only reason Ford still builds or develops the I6 here is that they have all the production line to build it with and the Australian Government (read public) keep giving Ford more money when they cry.
Its because Ford US have shitty, underpowered V6's that the Australian straight six craps on.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 23:49   #8 (permalink)

I think the 4.0L aussie 6 is great and getting a Yanky bit of crap would turn me off falcon
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons