Ford Forums banner

aussie muscle car mags

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  outback_ute 
#1 ·
i've noticed some of these magazines have been on ebay lately, and getting good dollars. my favourites would be the editions with the cobra write up and the phase4. i enjoy it also because it tends to be non-biased. how many here have the full collection? i'm one.

#2 ·
ive read street machine since i was... far too young to mention. Noticed that SM has an article in this months edition comparing the phase 1, 2, 3 & 4 GTHO's on the track. Also has the SMOTY which is a turbo and supercharged torana, not a ford I know, but just as a piece of engineering, very impressive.

#3 ·
nak302 said:
i've noticed some of these magazines have been on ebay lately, and getting good dollars. my favourites would be the editions with the cobra write up and the phase4. i enjoy it also because it tends to be non-biased. how many here have the full collection? i'm one.
i'm missing the first 4 or 5 issues which i'm a little annoyed about. those back issues were not cheap when reprinted. it's a fantasic magazine with great stories. the only magazine i read from cover to cover, not matter the stories within it. i expect the ones popping up on ebay won't be cheap..

favourite issue would be the one with bill bourke's 428 XW

#4 ·
sourbastard said:
ive read street machine since i was... far too young to mention. Noticed that SM has an article in this months edition comparing the phase 1, 2, 3 & 4 GTHO's on the track. Also has the SMOTY which is a turbo and supercharged torana, not a ford I know, but just as a piece of engineering, very impressive.
SM lost the plot years ago. i only buy it now when it has articles or genuine street cars that interest me. that gtho article was good but would have prefered SM to get Moffat to drive them.

#5 ·
I have to agree that Street Machine mag isn't the best.

As for AMC its awesome. I started buying them from the 428 XW edition.

The first four issues if you want to buy them are around $20 but the following ones from around edition 5-6 drop to about $6-7 delivered. I've had a few back issues purchased but some are out of print.

I'd love to have the missing ones in the collection.

#7 ·
I have every edition of AMC printed, including an original copy of the first edition. I heard it was a collector's item? Then they went and reprinted it! Is it worth anything now??
Cripes! some bloke wants $400 for 14 issues!!!

#8 ·
Yep ditto xcgxl, I've got and original Issue 1 and on hearing the prices they allegedly sell for I wish I bought a few more. In the early days there were not many newsagents that stocked the magazine. I am missing 2 issues later on, one I gave to Dad, the other I didn't buy as it was full of Holden stuff - I think they are still available though.

#11 ·
Did one of the early issues have an artical on the EB GT's and was it any good?

I only started buying from the issue before the Cobra.

#16 ·
Nah, I was just wondering what it was about before I shell out my 20 bucks. You don't really see much about EB & EL's in mags.

#17 ·
nak302 said:
AMC is the best magazine of its type in OZ... and Yeah... I've got every issue (all original)!!! And to be sure I don't miss an issue, I now get it delivered!!! :) Having had an article and numerous photos published in AMC also makes it special for me!!!

Cheers

#18 ·
I would love to have it delivered but I know it will get destroyed by the same postman who folded the 1977 Wheels Magazine I bought off E Bay, which was clearly marked "do not bend".
I always look out for AMC and take from the bottom of the pile. All my copies are immaculate, except for issue 3 which has travelled to London and back!

#19 ·
Full set of original's AMC's here also. It's the only magazine I seriously look out for and collect these days. Others only get purchased on merit or if I need a carmag fix.

I once had several years, maybe even more than a decade, of all SM magazines including the first Van Wheels-into-Street Machine copy. But I agree they have seriously lost the plot on a few occasions and after I had stopped buying them for a while they all went into a skip. Where was E-Bay back then when I needed it!

AMC is increasingly becoming a historic racing car mag which I think is deviating too far from what was originally intended. We'll see if it holds its attraction.

#21 ·
i've got them all including, original Issue 1

#24 ·
I think you're right Raptor, while it is great to read about the iconic old touring cars there is more to life. Everybody wants to read about the Bathurst wins etc, but that type of thing has already had a lot of coverage over the years. One of my favourite articles was Jim Hunter's XF ute that won his class in the Baja 500. I'd never heard of it before and it is a great story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.