Auto trans BA XR6 mk1 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 19:03   #1 (permalink)

Auto trans BA XR6 mk1

I have recently purchased a BA XR6 Mk1, wish to know if anyone has had problems with the auto trans. Appears to be lazy changing into 4th at low accelaration. Am I just being too careful or is it just me, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Jim
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 21:12   #2 (permalink)
BA Barracus

Re: Auto trans BA XR6 mk1

Hi Jim, adaptive shift (D), is a bit weird, but i have learnt to give it time to adjust and learn my pedal movements, then it becomes sharper changing gears. But sports mode(move gear shift to left) is different, it holds gears longer and shifts quicker, and if you manually shift gears it will hold the gear your in.
Maybe yours needs a service by ford, it could have a problem.
Try this, find a section of road(straight road) with no traffic, put in sports mode(auto sports, let trans change gears), take off with foot to the floor, it should shift at 6000RPM each gear, if it doesn't, then there is a problem.
Good luck

Note: at 70KPH or higher with trans in (D)(4th), shifting to sports will kick trans back to 3rd, and if you shift back to (D), trans shifts back into 4th.
Old 03-18-2006, 21:43   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that but what if I am just using the normal drive shift, it appears to not change into 4th at normal acceleration in traffic.

I take off ok you can feel the trans change to 2nd but unless I keep an eye on the taco wouldn't know that I had hit 4th. I can be doing 60 kph and it is still in 3rd the taco is showing 2000 rmp, that is the only way I know it is not in 4th. Should there be a distinction or is the trans so smooth I would miss it. Had a AU XR 6 for 5 yrs has the trans change dramatically since then.

Thankyou for your reply

Jim
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 00:19   #4 (permalink)
BA Barracus

yeah well, the auto in the BA is a bit more refined than the one used in the AU's, they use a different logic in regards to shift patterns and kick down, but also this box is apparently stronger, i have been told. Yes they are smooth shifting and sometimes i dont notice it going into fourth myself.
Old 03-23-2006, 20:21   #5 (permalink)

As I know, it'll change to 4th gear if you pass 65km/h, the taco will drop to 1400rmp ~ 1500rmp
xare6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons