AUXR8/Unichip/Autotech Engineering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

AUXR8/Unichip/Autotech Engineering

Guys thought I would fill you in of my experience for the benefit of AUV8 owners.
As some are aware we had a FF/Unichip demo day at Autotech Engineering in mid August.
My car was the demo for the Windsor ranks and we also had from FF loxxr6 with his AUXR6 and Aeron with his BAXR6T.
Brief on my car : AUXR8Series111 220kw Rep workhorse !!
Only engine mod is current Genie headers,18"hotdogs replacing centre mufflers and std can at the rear. KNFilter.
Unfortunately not on dyno prior to this. The car has been a beauty and had gone rather well I thought.
A before run was done to see what she delivers, 152rwkw. What was I to expect ? Nothing much more and thankfully not any less.
When I mention above "rather well I thought" I couldn't believe how rich these buggers run.
The next run was with the Unichip fitted, in a matter of 5-10mins Real Time tuneing the APS guys got another 10 odd rwkw. (a little happier)
The day wasn't to spend heaps of time tuneing a car but to show us the "do's and don'ts" and "benefits" of Real time tuneing.
I went for a test drive and was impressed by the pedal response at low revs (1500-3000rpm) pedal feel was really good,you didn't have to push the pedal down as far as you used to for the same speed.
Spiro from Autotech made me an offer I couldn't refuse and said the sooner I book the car back in he will spend the right time to tune the beast.
Unfortunately I was away on business for the following week before I could back.
So late Friday a couple of weeks ago Spiro got my baby and had the wheels spinning back on his dyno. Invited me to sit in the passenger seat to watch him work his magic on the laptop, what a buzz to watch him trying to extract as much power as poss out of the reliable 'ol Windsor, to hear her rev hard was awesome.
The final figure for now is 174.6rwkw, not bad for just exhaust done, I don't even know if the headers back are doing the right job.
He takes me on the test run... I was staining my pants in my own car (it sucks being a passenger,too scary lol), pulls over for me to have a drive, what a different car, amazing pedal feel just a different car. Compared to a stock AUXR8 220 barring exhaust done I feel mine would blow it to the weeds and thats comparing "apples with apples"......

Thanks for your enthusiam Spiro, you have done a great job,now what sucks is that I want more.......
I know you have a big rep with the 6T guys here in Sydney and I'm sure you will gain some followers from us normally aspirated Ford Fanatics in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AUDynoResults1.jpg (76.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg AUDynoResults2.jpg (78.7 KB, 125 views)
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 02:02   #2 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Re: AUXR8/Unichip/Autotech Engineering

I will be the first to congratualte you mate..thats an nice increase of around 25 kw.Spiro is a big champion and as many of us know loxxr6 xr6 is going under the knife at Spiros on Monday..It will be good to see here as well..
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:24   #3 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

thanks useless, I know loxxr6 is hanging out after seeing what results his car turned out with the Unichip, the same goes for Aaeron.
Also JamieXR6 is booked in this coming week as well.
Good luck to Spiro and Unichip.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
Movin!

Well done mate, thats a good increase

Rod, Mark, Hamo and myself got the unichip done at APS and cant be happier, some people have said it wont do a hell of a lot and it is expensive etc but ity has changed the feel of the car, i can relate to when you said the accelerator pedal feels different and power comes on at any rev

Take it to WSID and see what she runs!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

well done Bluedriver, i know what you mean when you say amazing pedal feel just a different car, this is why i was such a big rap for the Unichip & APS tuning skills..
i know even down here in Melbourne we hear Spiro is a A grade tuner...
now go out and enjoy it

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:06   #6 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

Thanks Rodderz and XRFPV8, I have been reading what you guys from OFR have been doing down there for a year or so....Great results on the tar.
Am looking at getting some of us 3FB's at Eastern Creek in the near future......
Yer the Unichip may be a little $$$ but the results speak for themselves.
Well done to Peter and the guys at APS and I can't speak highly enough of Spiro on a top job, love getting in the car everyday.
Old 09-10-2004, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

It seems pretty obvious that the main benefit of the chip is the drivability and torque..not just terminal rwkw.Iam sure your car feels heaps quicker because of the torquier setup...much and much goes to show that rwkw only come into play at the end of the battle..torque gets you there...
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 16:43   #8 (permalink)
Movin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
It seems pretty obvious that the main benefit of the chip is the drivability and torque..not just terminal rwkw...
That's exactly right, the tuners themselves will tell you that it isnt the gain in rwkw that you get, it's the improved driveability. With just a gain of power at 5400rpm, you wouldnt feel much till you got to that rpm, whereas is the whole mapping is tuned the car is faster everywhere and gets to that power faster. My car only went up 8rwkw from 232 to 240rwkw after tune but the car feels so much better.

Of course it depends on what mods you've already done, some mods such as cai, t/b or exhaust may already lean out fuel mixtures therefore the gain may not be as high, but a tune will take advantage of these mods in working together
Old 09-10-2004, 19:30   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Just looking at the dyno sheet shows a chunky big increase in your car's power. Love it !

I'm expecting some last minute research to be done on the chips but I'm confident that the Unichip can deliver. Spiro seems to be the man.

Am looking at getting some of us 3FB's at Eastern Creek in the near future......

That sounds like a plan
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 19:52   #10 (permalink)

Just sitting here looking at my tax refund cheque thinking of a liitle trip down to Granville to see Spirp work that magic too.

I would like to see how loxxr6 goes and the chip challenge comes out first though.

I was very impressed with the unichip on the XR8 220 but I have to say it shows how slack Ford were putting all the great go fast hardware into the last of the AU XR8's and then not spending a cent to fix the lousy ecu program in the Windsor V8's.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons