BA - Bloody Awful? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 01:24   #1 (permalink)

BA - Bloody Awful?

I have had my BA utility for 18 months and have done 58,000km. I optioned it with a manual and a LSD.

Upon delivery I drove straight to a tyre shop to get some decent tyres for it. When I tried to leave the tyre shop the car wouldn't start. Great first impression.

Next I noticed that the keys dangled onto my leg. This is very anoying. I also found that when I changed gears, I would often change the climate settings with my knuckles.

Trying to let a passenger in is also a pain. You have to press the door unlock button on the dash twice. Hence I always lean over and open the door manually.

Driving it on country roads I soon found out that it was not designed with high speed handling in mind.

After a while I got used to these anoying features, but then other problems presented themselves.

Brake shudder
Gearshift boot fell to pieces
Cracked console
Passenger door would not stay closed
Power windows buttons sticking
Leaking water pump
Diff noises when hot
Brake shudder return
New gearshift boot fell to pieces
Ford badge fell off
Tonneau lock brock in half
Fuse panel broke when using bonnet release
Spare wheel mechanism jammed with tyre 80% lifted
Unable to lock passenger side door

What really irks me is that a lot of these problems are not covered by warranty. By Ford not replacing these parts (that are often not very expensive), they are losing a repeat customer and gaining bad word of mouth publicity.

I really expect more from a new car. I never had this many problems with my HT Kingswood and I did half a million kilometres in that. Similar story with my XB, although I have done a lot less mileage with her.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004, 01:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA - Bloody Awful?

buy a holden
beefster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:50   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefster1
buy a holden
From what I have heard, they are worse.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:53   #4 (permalink)

i think that all new cars today r rubbish plastik looking and put together in a quick fashion we live in a society dominated by the dollar and mass turn out untill this method is stopped in its tracks ,products will get worse remember cars r built these days with profit on the mind first and foremost as rule NO1 soon ford will be made in china too wait and see i am going to find my self a kingswood and look after it like if its new that way it will last to the day i die i am never buying a new car agian unless i am promised 10 years warranty on everything on the vechicle and a courtsey car while they fix any warranty work is carriaed out **** em all motor companys want is our hard earned money and there give us polished plastik in return for it **** that no more
beefster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:16   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I have had my BA utility for 18 months and have done 58,000km. I optioned it with a manual and a LSD.

Upon delivery I drove straight to a tyre shop to get some decent tyres for it. When I tried to leave the tyre shop the car wouldn't start. Great first impression.

Next I noticed that the keys dangled onto my leg. This is very anoying. I also found that when I changed gears, I would often change the climate settings with my knuckles.

Trying to let a passenger in is also a pain. You have to press the door unlock button on the dash twice. Hence I always lean over and open the door manually.

Driving it on country roads I soon found out that it was not designed with high speed handling in mind.

After a while I got used to these anoying features, but then other problems presented themselves.

Brake shudder
Cracked console
Leaking water pump
Diff noises when hot
Brake shudder return
Ford badge fell off

What really irks me is that a lot of these problems are not covered by warranty. By Ford not replacing these parts (that are often not very expensive), they are losing a repeat customer and gaining bad word of mouth publicity.

I really expect more from a new car. I never had this many problems with my HT Kingswood and I did half a million kilometres in that. Similar story with my XB, although I have done a lot less mileage with her.
How many of these things are not covered under warranty?
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 13:20   #6 (permalink)

Breakages are not covered. ie console, badge, lock, fuse panel. When something has broken because it is a poor design, I don't see why I should have to pay for it.
Old 11-21-2004, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:

Brake shudder
Cracked console
Leaking water pump
Diff noises when hot
Brake shudder return
Ford badge fell off

I have an 03 Fairmont , brakes have been in 4 times with break shudder discs wont take another skim so new discs when the shudder comes back, traction control comes on when it shouldnt, power steering pump is noisy , cruise control has played up, couple of coolant leakes, airbag light problems, apart from that the car is OK , heavy on fuel around city, drove to QLand and got 720 ks per tank. I had a Lantra with 210,000 ks on it with less problems.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 14:07   #8 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
buy a holden
<--- Get a BRAIN !

Quote:

Brake shudder
Cracked console
Leaking water pump
Diff noises when hot
Brake shudder return
Ford badge fell off

I really expect more from a new car. I never had this many problems with my HT Kingswood and I did half a million kilometres in that. Similar story with my XB, although I have done a lot less mileage with her. [/QUOTE]
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 14:41   #9 (permalink)
freelance

what I tried to post above.

Quote:
buy a holden
<--- Get a BRAIN !

Quote:
None of the other punters have had too much trouble with the tyres supplied, they aren't my ideal choice but they are far from tragic. This is personal choice.

Quote:
Lose the rabbits foot, the bottle opener, and lose the keys to the last 4 ex-girlfriends flats. A huge bundle of keys doesn't do any favours to an ignition lock either. I'm seen more than a few wrecked this way, not TIBBE lock though. On the other hand you could just adjust the column position.

Quote:
Read your manual, you can set the opening of passenger doors by keyfob to YOUR preference, your must have changed it as the default is to open all doors. Personally I was glad to finally see this feature on BA one of the only good things I remember from using a VS povvo

Quote:
Lots ot owners and a lot of well repected motoring journos would agree to differ with you on this. Maybe that tyre chioce/change you made was the best combo for BA on rough roads.

Quote:

Brake shudder
Cracked console
Leaking water pump
Diff noises when hot
Brake shudder return
Ford badge fell off

The brake shudder issue is well documented and has been a Falcon weakness for a long time.
The interior trim issues do turn up in some cases, I replaced the auto surround trim which bubbled for no reason, but as a package the trim isn't bad, and with all the banging knuckles and torn gear boots I have to wonder if the driving style would be more at home in the cabin of a Bedford. MY EL interior was better built but nowhere near as refined as the BA trim.

I dont mean to have a go at you, but trying to bloat a fault post with your niggles of personal preference, and your like dislike of the ergonomics doesn't do your cause any favours.

Many of the trim related comments you made would just as easily be made by early Xseries owners about the XA and XB. I'd love some of that early toughness but I would not give up the many improvements in BA for a tough/primative package.

Your fault list looks far too long and should never happen, you embelishment of it with trivial or no-existant issues takes away its credibility. I do hope you can get these issues resolved and ford improves their quality control.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 15:46   #10 (permalink)

I drive an EL ghia, but my folks have a BA and an EF, and personally i think the interiors of the EF/L are better put together than the BA, and less tacky. That said, the BA is otherwise a great car, and i think Ford really had to cut corners with interior build etc to produce it to a low cost
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons