BA Door Locking ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2003, 14:53   #1 (permalink)
SHAKEN, not stirred

BA Door Locking ?

Hi folks;
Was sitting in the gt and having a fiddle (with the controls), and Iam wondering if this is normal operation.

Inside vehicle, keys in ignition, door lock switch pressed, door opened from the inside by pulling on the door handles... ALARM sounds, and has to be deactivated by the manual overide (turn of on by 10 times).

Any experience of this, ideas.....

Regards

Paul

check our website
www.fpvclub.com

BA GT....CITRIC, with its own set of black skidmarks along the sides. and boost fed from a set of pulleys.
Happiness is a Blown GT and the lovely Lizzie by my Side
Paul V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 17:53   #2 (permalink)

Sounds normal. With all the bells, whistles, alarms, dings that drivers now need to put up with, the alarm is an added "bonus". Still trying to get the sequence right to create a credible tune....

Something which is really annoying on the BA however is the silver coloured door lock indicator on the rear of the drivers side window. This allows potential thieves/vandels to tell if a car is left unlocked, without having to try the the actual door handle.

Back in the late 70s & 80s, they used to be a mushroom shape so you could lever them up with a coat-hanger if you locked your keys inside. Mind you thieves knew the same trick ...

Most European cars dont have these things anymore, so why the hell is Ford still putting them on ??
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

A couple of reasons really.

1st, 99% of people use the keyfob exclusively to get in and out of the car - I know in 9 months of operation, the key has never been in the door lock of my BA. But what happens down the track when the battery in the keyfob finally goes flat if you're out in your car a couple of hundred miles from the spare keyfob? you've still got to be able to get in and out of the car.

Or - what if the car battery stuffs up and the electronics don't work - you still need to be able to get in and out of the car, a mechanical means of entry and egress is there on the drivers door (and the drivers door only) to give that ability regardless of any electronic failure.

You may also find - and I have no idea if this is true or not - that there is some rule in the ADR's or somewhere about emergency services having visible and/or mechanical means to access a car involved in an accident if and when possible.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 21:27   #4 (permalink)

Re: BA Door Locking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
A couple of reasons really.

1st, 99% of people use the keyfob exclusively to get in and out of the car - I know in 9 months of operation, the key has never been in the door lock of my BA. But what happens down the track when the battery in the keyfob finally goes flat if you're out in your car a couple of hundred miles from the spare keyfob? you've still got to be able to get in and out of the car.

Or - what if the car battery stuffs up and the electronics don't work - you still need to be able to get in and out of the car, a mechanical means of entry and egress is there on the drivers door (and the drivers door only) to give that ability regardless of any electronic failure.

You may also find - and I have no idea if this is true or not - that there is some rule in the ADR's or somewhere about emergency services having visible and/or mechanical means to access a car involved in an accident if and when possible.
JR, I'm talking about the small silver nib at the top of of the internal door mouldings, not the internal handles.

If the nib is pressed down, you cannot get it back up by hand, you actually have to either use the door handles or the central locking button.

You would also find that if the battery went flat, you would have to use the door handles, not the nib which would be electrically driven.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:20   #5 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Re: Re: BA Door Locking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
If the nib is pressed down, you cannot get it back up by hand, you actually have to either use the door handles or the central locking button.
I must say that I dont like this either. Even in my mums EL has those stupid locks. Couldnt they put on those nib things like the commodores have? there should be one on each door. And holdens "deadlock" system is quite impressive too. My opinion anyway
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:55   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: BA Door Locking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_o
I must say that I dont like this either. Even in my mums EL has those stupid locks. Couldnt they put on those nib things like the commodores have? there should be one on each door. And holdens "deadlock" system is quite impressive too. My opinion anyway
Because once you saw the interior of the VY (esp. Exec) you would have to lock the passenger IN the car and stop them escaping.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons