BA ECU/ECM Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2004, 14:41   #1 (permalink)
RTV403

BA ECU/ECM Question

I hope this is the right forum for this question, I was wondering about the ECm or ECU, does it learn as you drive? Does it learn as you modify your car, how long does it take to learn if it does so, how do different driving conditions or diffrent drivers affect it, if it does learn etc...

Thanks
ur003127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 15:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA ECU/ECM Question

This 'learning' capability is only very limited. It does learn your mods to a certain extent but don't expect the same result as a modified chip.

I recently reset my BA XR8 ute ECM after I did a catbak and air intake. The car immediately ran a lot smoother both on startup and cruising. Was there any power increase? I couldn't feel anything siginificant from the seat of my pants. I do a lot of city driving so from now on I am going to reset the ECM every fortnight and take it for a fang.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:15   #3 (permalink)

The downside to resetting the KAM is you could possibly miss out on better fuel efficientcy. When the strategy adapts it's only a very minor change if the vehicle is running how it should be, but if there is a problem with the engine mechanically or electrically the adaptive strategy really makes a difference compared to a vehicle without it.But it's main purpose is to keep the car running like new as the car ages. Thats why so many people post questions as to why their car runs like crap after the battery has been disconnected or replaced.

Last edited by SPALDING GREEN; 02-23-2004 at 01:51.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45   #4 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
This 'learning' capability is only very limited. It does learn your mods to a certain extent but don't expect the same result as a modified chip.

I recently reset my BA XR8 ute ECM after I did a catbak and air intake. The car immediately ran a lot smoother both on startup and cruising. Was there any power increase? I couldn't feel anything siginificant from the seat of my pants. I do a lot of city driving so from now on I am going to reset the ECM every fortnight and take it for a fang.
I noticed today after my ute had been sitting for 2 days when I started it, it idled rough and started missing for a few seconds then came good and the only thing I did last Thursday was fit the CAI.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPALDING GREEN
The downside to resetting the KAM is you could possibly miss out on better fuel efficientcy. When the strategy adapts it's only a very minor change if the vehicle is running how it should be, but if there is a problem with the engine mechanically or electrically the adaptive strategy really makes a difference compared to a vehicle without it.But it's main purpose is to keep the car running like new as the car ages. Thats why so many people post questions as to why their car runs like crap after the battery has been disconnected or replaced.

Ever since the ECM reset my average fuel consumption has gone from 17.8L/100kms to 18.5L/100kms. THen again..could be my driving habbit :o)
Old 02-23-2004, 02:43   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Ever since the ECM reset my average fuel consumption has gone from 17.8L/100kms to 18.5L/100kms. THen again..could be my driving habbit :o)
Yeah, I don't think it's the little black box, it's the device directly infront of the steering wheel... :)
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:00   #7 (permalink)

OI!! :o)

Nah seriously, I dunno if it is placebo effect or not but it definately started up nicer and drove smoother with no noticable power increase.

Some days the ute feels sluggish some days it feels like it can take on any car on the street.... its wierd..... needs a BOSSedit to help make up its mind!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:09   #8 (permalink)

It's common to start a vehicle after just doing a basic service & it will run poorly, switch it off & re-start runs good again. I dunno! I've chased my tail a couple of times because of this :-)
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:22   #9 (permalink)
TurbolaserS

Yes it does learn,basically if the car is driven hard it will respond faster and generally hold the gears a little bit longer and kickdown is harder,but if your missus has been driving the car for the week expect it to be a tad sleepy. If you feel its driving like a slug,disconnect the earth cable off the battery for 5-10 minutes then go out and drive it hard and see the difference.

TurboLaser
turbolaser_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:29   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
OI!! :o)

Nah seriously, I dunno if it is placebo effect or not but it definately started up nicer and drove smoother with no noticable power increase.

Some days the ute feels sluggish some days it feels like it can take on any car on the street.... its wierd..... needs a BOSSedit to help make up its mind!
That's something I've noticed... on Friday and Saturday the ute was flying... but today, it felt like I do most days... "I'll go if you flog me, but basically I can't be bothered".... I don't know if its fuel, air, planetary alignment, sun spots or how many hampsters are on the wheel, or just my imagination. But now that you've also noticed it... nah couldn't be... could it???
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons