BA Fairmont Ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 22:17   #1 (permalink)

BA Fairmont Ghia

Im currently looking to purchase a lightly used 2003 or 2004 BA Fairmont Ghia
either 6 or 8 cyl, anything i should be aware of?
i dont want to buy someone else's frustration
i am currently driving a AU1 Fairmont wagon and have been very happy with
it (apart from the usual fade out in the climte control screen)
glenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 17:53   #2 (permalink)

eek Re: BA Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2
Im currently looking to purchase a lightly used 2003 or 2004 BA Fairmont Ghia
either 6 or 8 cyl, anything i should be aware of?
i dont want to buy someone else's frustration
i am currently driving a AU1 Fairmont wagon and have been very happy with
it (apart from the usual fade out in the climte control screen)
Get the V8 its worth the money. The usual BA issues are there, brakes being the worst, with all the kit and the V8 Std brakes are marginal for quick stops. I have had mine machined every service, latest pads are better but can still shudder when stopping suddenly at highway speeds.

Consumption can be an issue, I average 15.5l/100 thats 120km a day but lots of stop start, but some highway speeds (when the M5 isn't a mess) I am heavy on the right foot (I'm replacing it with a XR6T).

The sunglass holder in the roof is crap and has broken twice. Had a vacuum hose split, Got a clunk in the diff, (close the windows turn up the premium sound and you wont hear it)

Replaced tyres at 37000, still had some tread, but I don't pay for them so don't take any chances. I run 36 psi all round and check regularly

Overall happy with performance and handling. Its a lovely thing to cruise in on a country road or to another state, up to about 8 10ths its great, above that turn T/C off and its a tail out hoot......if you do just just watch those brakes...tyre wear.....fuel consumption.....

Hope this helps.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 20:48   #3 (permalink)

Re: BA Fairmont Ghia

I have a late 2002 Ghia I6 and although generally happy it has been frustrating having an 'almost there' car. My hope would be that if you stick towards a 2004 model you should get a great buy.

As mentioned by Desmo (a Ducati owner?) out on the road it's a great ride and I have never 'needed' more power (as opposed to 'wanted').

Negative issues that I believe may be common;
Brakes
Fuel consumption
Tyre wear
Squeaks and Rattles from the dash
Trim fit of the plastic bits
Noisy fan when in Auto mode (runs too fast)
Woeful resale value (good if you buy secondhand though)

It has taken in excess of 2 years in my case to get most of the loose/noisy/rattling/ill fitting bits to stay either where they should or give up.
If the additional cost was matched by a little extra care in assembly the package would be great.
Buy one built on Wednesday?
Old 04-03-2005, 21:29   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

As a second hand buy they appear to be good value for money. Its about that time when allot of fleet / ex lease cars are coming on to the market. The V8 uses around 1 litre per 100 more, it has nice torque down low. When the V8 was first released journalist loved it. By todays standards it's still a nice drive assisted by the sports suspension. If I was to buy one I would spend around $600 to fix the brakes, this save time regularly visiting the dealers. Maybe you could negotiate a more permeant fix in with the dealers or get them to drop the price. Also ask if you can find out if there are any previous warranty claims or speak to the past owner.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:46   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the info, i am leaning towards the v8, not cos i need it just i want it.
fuel usage could be a problem but but no pain no fun
at least if the fuel prices stay high it might make some s/h V8's stay in the caryards too long and might make it easier to bargain
i might wait a bit longer as i still have to offload the AU yet and its not worth anything to the dealers as a trade-in
Old 04-04-2005, 21:57   #6 (permalink)

I am in the same boat as you i decided on an ICE Mint Silver BA 03 Ghia with 38,000 kms on it for around 30,000 lol V8

I finaly settled on it after deciding between a xr8 ss and xr6t and ofcourse the BA Ghia.
Old 04-04-2005, 23:30   #7 (permalink)

way to go jimmy, when do you pick it up?
did you trade your EBII or do you have to sell privately like i am?
what area do you live? around 30k for an BA Ghia is a good price, best ive seen so far is around 35k for an early 03 model and around 37k for a
late 03 one
Old 04-05-2005, 01:39   #8 (permalink)

hey man the EBII is still here, i think it will be going privatly.

I will pick it up this week sometime (thursday or Saturday i hope)

nice machine ex deal principle car. sun roof and everything lol
Old 04-05-2005, 02:05   #9 (permalink)

Jimmy, let me know what you think when you collect it.
wherabouts are u from?
i have been looking on the net at cars in vic and nsw there seems to be a lot more to choose from outside of SA,and its probably not out of the question to grab a $69 oneway flight and an 8 or 14hr drive back if i can save 3 or 4 grand, get what i want plus give a car a bigger test run back especially if i
dont have the rev limiter/traction control officer/red light warning device/speed detection warning screamer sitting alongside.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2
Jimmy, let me know what you think when you collect it.
wherabouts are u from?
i have been looking on the net at cars in vic and nsw there seems to be a lot more to choose from outside of SA,and its probably not out of the question to grab a $69 oneway flight and an 8 or 14hr drive back if i can save 3 or 4 grand, get what i want plus give a car a bigger test run back especially if i
dont have the rev limiter/traction control officer/red light warning device/speed detection warning screamer sitting alongside.
y not giv dat a go?

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons