BA Fairmont Ghia V8 feedback - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2003, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

BA Fairmont Ghia V8 feedback

Below is a thread i posted at www.ls1.com.au a couple of weeks ago. I just joined today as a memeber.

Thought I would share my thoughts on the BA Fairmont Ghia V8 I drove on XMAS day. These are my personal comments. I thought some people might be interested to here an opinion of what the car is like. I have not driven any VY V8s so I donít know how they compare.

I'm not loyal to any brand. When spending my own hard earned money I want a car that delivers in terms of functionality, performance, economy and financial.

The test occurred in country Victoria a region where there were plenty of quite roads with straight stretches, twisty bits and hills. A place where there was plenty of opportunity to give the car a good squirt. Hopefully there were no hidden cameras.

The car was not mine so I had to be careful not bend it. It was one month old with 5000km on the clock. On the straight bits I went up to 160 - 180, if kept my foot on the pedal it felt as though it wanted to keep accelerating hard. The torque at lower speeds seemed a little better than a VX V8 I drove a month previously, other wise the motors seemed similar.

Traction control worked really well, I accelerated from a stand still in the dirt in a straight line and the wheels griped. Then I tried accelerating from rest around a sharp corner on the bitumen, the wheels gave a little squeal. Overall traction control seems sorted.

A car dealer I spoke to said the Holden V6 traction is better left off as you have a better chance of rescuing your car if it gets out of shape. He also said the Holden V8 traction control works very well.

With the brakes I slammed the anchors on during a few high speed runs. The car pulled up very well. No complaints here. Hoping out of the car I could smell they were working hard.

I tested the handling around corners and the car griped very well, the car just felt planted and stayed on its line. The sports suspension that comes standard did not fell to rigid or firm.

In the press I was left with the impression the BA Ford had a good V8 sound. I thought the standard note was not very noticeable, but slightly better compared to standard VX V8. I donít know about the note of standard VXII and VY. Never driven them. I assume a V8 enthusiast will need to modify the Fordís exhaust for a better sound.

Overall I thought the car was very good. With a fleet discount you should be able to get one for under 50K. A manual XT V8 would potentially be an interesting drive with a fleet discount of around high 30ís. Ford Australia has done a good job with engine. From what I hear they have combined several components from the Ford international parts bin to create the Australian version.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2003, 22:22   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your thoughts Swordie. I was thinking of getting one of these cars after having a string of Fairmont Ghia's previously.
...But the lure of the XR8 was too much this time around.
Old 01-18-2003, 15:09   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

The XR8 sounds like it will very nice and give the SS good competition. It sounds like you may have to wait a while for delivery of the XR8.
Old 01-18-2003, 23:14   #4 (permalink)
I am The Brain

My Dad has had Fairlanes for the last 5 years at least and quite likes them because of the room, however because my brother and I are moving out this year he will not need as much room anymore and I will push for him to get a Fairmont because they are a great looking car and seem to go quite well.
However if the new Fairlane looks nice, aswell as it getting good reviews he will probably get it.....if SatNav is standard I would say he would get one.

My point is I like the BA Fairmont and want my Father to get one.

Just wondering though, because the Fairmont is a fairly luxury car, I didn't think the engine note on the V8 was going to be really throaty because the "highbrows" don't particularly go for that. That would be why it wasn't really throaty.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:24   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Viper8LitreV10
. l've been told the Fairmont exhaust note has been toned down.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:32   #6 (permalink)

There is a v8 ghia at Gregry's ford in Braddon in ACT , with full Herrod kit , 19" wheels , suspension and exhaust , moaroon in colour.The front wheels are 245 and thr rears are 275.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 18:05   #7 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Yeah thats what I thought Swordie...ta
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons