Ford Forums banner

ba falcon and audi?

4K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Ford4Eva 
G
#1 ·
at work today yes some of us work saturdays a ba falcon and a A6 audi were parked together they are very similair is audi owned by ford and used the same plans or is it just the way it is.
Any way if a ba falcon can look as good as a audi even better great and half the price.

#2 ·
J Mays is head of worldwide Ford styling and 'helped' with some final detailing of BA according to some press stories at release time.

Co-incidently, his last job was head of styling at Audi.

I'm surprised no one else has made the comparisons to A6 before now

#3 ·
The volatility of design "consultant" betweeen the major brands often leads to a similiar likeness, for example the vy - ba dash, Im not saying its the same, but it is similiar. Don't forget teh vx was a "magnadoor".

If you want to see how far a likeness can be taken have a look at the Lexus Ls430 and the slightly older merc s class rear. apparently daimlerchrysler considered sueing lexus, but in teh end didnt bother, they tried to sue Hummer/Gm over the 7 vent front grill on the h2 hummer, but that fell thru as well.
Speaking of lexus, the new es300 looks a hell of a lot like the peugot 607.

#4 ·
longjohn1 said:
at work today yes some of us work saturdays a ba falcon and a A6 audi were parked together they are very similair is audi owned by ford and used the same plans or is it just the way it is.
Any way if a ba falcon can look as good as a audi even better great and half the price.
Yeah I noticed the similarity too and thougt the next model on the BA platform may be more rounded like the Audi

#6 ·
When the falcon was first released (the pics) I cannot remember who the guy was that worked on the Audi, but anyway he stated that the Audi was his 'baby' and it was hard to get that design out of his head. Hence the A6 look alike. Even before the pics of the BA were released they gave hints on what the falcon would look like..they said think of BMW 5 series for front and Audi A6 for back....they weren't far off.

#13 ·
i saw an A6 the other day. mum asked me if it was a new ford. i said "no, i wish", but had influences from former Audi designers. while we were at the lights i had a good look and the bloody thing had steam pouring out from the bonnet. Glad it was an Audi now!

#14 ·
Funny that
When the XD came out I thought it looked like Audi 100CD.
when the Commy came out I thought it looked like..crap really

sorry had to say it

#15 ·
#18 ·
longjohn1 said:
I agree there are some similarites between the two. Ford does not own Audi. Audi is part of the Volkswagon group which also comprises of Porsche. The simliarites is understandable because the person that sign off the design or had a significant influence is J. Mays who also penned some of the Audi's we see today.

#19 ·
Just for the record, Porsche isn't owed by the Volkswagen Audi Group (or VAG as they call themselves). They do have links with each other - obviously the first VW was designed by Ferdinand Porsche and the Tourag and Cayenne are built on the same platform - but Porsche, BMW and Honda remain the only 'independant' car manufacturers out there.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.