BA Falcon - door open indicator stays on. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 22:45   #1 (permalink)

BA Falcon - door open indicator stays on.

Hi,

I have a BA II Falcon wagon XT. The door open light indicator(only when ignition on) and interior lights are on(whether ignition on or not) as though a door is open when all are closed including the boot. Also I can lock the doors with central locking withou a problem.

When I put my foot on the brake, the lights turn off, take my foot off the brake and I get the 3 chimes and the lights come back on again as though a door is open.

I have gone through all the doors 1 at a time leaving them open and applying my foot to the brake and the door light indicator stays on as it should. Only when all doors are closed do the lights turn off when braking.

Any clues to what could be causing this?

Cheers
Chucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 01:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA Falcon - door open indicator stays on.

Same problem, now when I try to lock the vehicle I get "beep-beep-beep-beep" on the horn and the interior lights come on. Can't lock it manually with the key either so switched the interior lights off and leaft the wagon unlocked.

Last week it was the door open indicator that showed, exactly like you describe.
Brooook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 14:29   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

At a guess one of the door actuator/soleniods will be faulty and reading the door as open. Does the light actually show which door is the problem or open?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52   #4 (permalink)

No, just a generic red light on the dash suggesting a door is open. Where do I find the solenoid? It's been an intermittent problem but getting worse so probably something electrical on it's way out.
Old 04-03-2012, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

They are inside the door panel and they are the solenoid that operates the lock. Just check if all the doors lock properly and if one doesn't then that would be where to start you have to include the boot as well as it will also set the light going. If they lock then listen by each door lock while you lock and unlock with the remote and if any lock sounds like it is grinding or noisy then that would be the place to look. The other area that could be an issue is the BEM or Body Electrics Module but more likely to be one of the solenoids. They are accessed by removing the inner door panel. You can try using a spray lubricant like WD40 on them or maybe replacement if you find a faulty one. The rear door ones sometimes give trouble if water has dripped onto them from window area.
Old 12-01-2012, 13:53   #6 (permalink)

My answer: It was the main unit under the dash that needed replacing. It cost $1000 at a "cheap" auto electrician (NZ) but he had to import the unit from Aus so for you Ozzies it might be cheaper. He examined all the individual door units before taking the dash apart to get to the main unit. Had to be done as I couldn't lock the car, and when it auto unlocked all the interior lights would come on draining the battery. He also broke the centre top vent when accessing the unit so careful when doing DIY as they must get brittle from the sun?

Now I have the left rear door that doesn't lock and it will cost $300 to fix but I can't be arsed - the other doors lock so I'll just chance it and not leave anything valuable in the car. Might try DIY as suggested above, and as said, there is a whirring noise from that door when I lock the car.
Old 12-01-2012, 18:55   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Thanks for getting back and letting us know what the problem was. Thats a shame that it was an expensive repair. Im guessing the labour costs for under dash repair may have been a big part of cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons