BA falcon hot start problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 18:50   #1 (permalink)

BA falcon hot start problem

I have a 2003 ba falcon ute.

My problem is when the car is warm and has been left for about 15min (like going into the shop) when i go to start the car again it cranks over for a couple seconds and wont start try again and after another couple seconds it will start.

However in the morning or when the engine is cold it will start perfect hardley cranks over and starts and runs fine. the problem is only when it is warm.

when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time.

other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.

it is really annoying me any help would be great( the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing)

thanx james
Rookie-xh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: BA falcon hot start problem

Hi James

Thats a tricky one. Do you know what the mechanic has done so far. When the car starts does it start and run smoothly or is it a bit choked up for a short time and run rough then come right again.

Has it done high kms?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:11   #3 (permalink)

once it has started prob 80% of the time it will run rough for a couple seconds, slight misfire but kick in and run fine.

it has done 195000 Klm's.

it is dual fuel but we have worked out that there is nothing wrong with the gas side of things. it wont change over to gas until a higher rev range. and if i drive around just on petrol it will still do it, so nothing to do with the gas.

the mech has only done a service oil/ fuel filter that sort of thing. not plugs but they seam fine and so does the leads. but he has cleaned the throttle body. and put it on the diagnostic with nothing showing up other then rear demister and silly little things..
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Could have a check on the engine coolant temperature sensor which lets the ECU know how much fuel is needed .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 16:59   #5 (permalink)

cheers i will have a look at that today sometime,

But if there is any other ideas keep them coming :)

Thanx for your time
Old 12-25-2011, 14:28   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

The crank angle sensor / camshaft sensor ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 20:11   #7 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi James. It's a tricky one alright...so I'll just give my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie-xh View Post
My problem is when the car is warm and has been left for about 15min (like going into the shop) when i go to start the car again it cranks over for a couple seconds and wont start try again and after another couple seconds it will start.
However in the morning or when the engine is cold it will start perfect hardley cranks over and starts and runs fine. the problem is only when it is warm.
There is a known heat-sink issue with BA PCMs, failing to start when hot only, lots of cranking but nothing else until they cool down a bit, but that doesn't seem to be your case. If you want to be 100% sure, take a bottle of cold water with you and pour it over the PCM when the problem is happening to see if it makes a difference, but i don't think it will

Quote:
when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time. other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.
When you put your foot flat to the floor you are effectively cutting off injection completely. If this makes it easier to start the car, it suggests your car is over-fuelling. You could be looking at a leaking injector or excessive fuel pressure (blocked filter or regulator?), or even a faulty CHT (coolant temp) sensor as someone suggested, but this should give a definite fault code when scanned.

Quote:
the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing
Yeah we do that all the time

One last thing. If the Throttle body was cleaned you SHOULD disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reset the KAM learned values & allow the car to re-learn new ones, preferably when it's at normal operating temp.
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53   #8 (permalink)

thanx mate i will have a look sometime this week. i am getting a work truck shortly so i wont be driving it as much, so it might just be one of those quirky things you have on your car. lol

thanx for ya help.

if i ever find out what the problem is or what fixed it i will post it on here.
cheers
Old 01-13-2012, 16:37   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

One of the common problems these have is the throttle position sensor (TPS). It doesnt sound quite right for this issue but that is the most common problem that can cause all sorts of strange stuff. I'm not sure of its worth but if you had another you could test on it then that would be handy rather than just paying for a new one on the chance it is causing the problem. The crank angle sensor is sometimes an issue. The tone wheel on the crank can get dirty and give poor signals so this could be worth giving a clean.

If you get to the bottom of it then it would be great to know the answer. It helps others out in similar situations.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

when i put my foot flat to the floor it will start alot quicker or even straight away. and if i turn the car off and turn it back on within a few seconds it will start fine, it only happens when it is hot and been sitting for a period of time.

other then that the car runs perfect no other engine problems just starting.

it is really annoying me any help would be great( the mechanic has no idea and just keeps on charging me money for doing nothing)

thanx james
Hi

Hi James ,did you ever find out the fault with the BA?
xls1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons