Ford Forums banner

BA first service and the reason why my Dad beat me!

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  XRchic 
#1 ·
Hey. My beast was serviced today. It was found to have lost no futher oil at all (since I posted the thread on the oil usage issue). However, it has an O ring leak at the back of the wather pump, gearbox oil leak and coolant stains on the back of the engine bay and gearbox! The pipe into the bottom of the thermostat housing was coolant stained as well... The coolant was obviously pretty low and it stunk (and was yellow) and I topped it up a few weeks ago with (green) Tectaloy!

It appears that my pressure plates on my clutch are gone (which Ford should replace) and this could either be as a result of oil from the leaks getting in there, busted springs or weak springs. Apparently this clutch slippage accounts for my lack of rw power when it came to racing my Dad to a reasonable degree, and that it may have been like this for a while - and this might mean more rwkw (a little) if I redyno it after the clutch is fixed! Maybe, maybe not - be interesting to see, but it seems that once fixed, I will get that damned silver Fairmont!!!

Now, I was concerned about head gasket being blown since often this can affect the coolant and often testing the coolant for chemicals can show up this kind of thing, and possibly make it stink - due to nasty fumes... but I am assured this is not the case, but I am buggered if I know what would cause the coolant to go yellow and to go off!!!! In 3 weeks! Any ideas?

Anyway, will be ringing Ford tomorrow to book it in for the clutch and the rest to be fixed and then having chip removed temporarily....

I reckon I might have a battle on my hands to get the clutch fixed though! They are probably gonna argue it is fine....

Good news though is that my brake pads are only 10% worn after 14500km! Considering my driving habits, quite pleased with that!

Bring on the F6!

See less See more
#5 ·
OH WE ARE ALL FUNNY NOW, AREN'T WE??? LOL

Wait and see what happens when the clutch is fixed (booked it in today) in a rematch and then we will see what is an excuse and what is not. Ha ha. This is not over yet.

Oh, and I reckon I've been driving since before most of you were born! : ))))

#6 ·
I rekon you should of bought an Auto xrchic, then you might of beaten your dad lol.

Betcha weren't driving before i was born ? :angel:

#7 ·
cams290 said:
I rekon you should of bought an Auto xrchic, then you might of beaten your dad lol.

Betcha weren't driving before i was born ? :angel:
Ha ha - didnt you read my sig??? I will get him in the manual once the clutch is done, don't you worry!!! What I SHOULD have gotten was the T!!!!

Well, I reckon I was driving before MOST of you - started on a track at age 11 back in 1982! In manuals, I might add. He he.

#8 ·
I started driving old three on the tree EH holdens and HR holdens when i was about 9 or 10, i think it makes you a much better driver in the long run. Some of the young drivers on the road are shockers, but they think they know it all. You want to drive a truck around Melbourne all day it keeps you on your toes. P-platers and curry munching taxi drivers as bad as one another.

#9 ·
cams290 said:
I started driving old three on the tree EH holdens and HR holdens when i was about 9 or 10, i think it makes you a much better driver in the long run. Some of the young drivers on the road are shockers, but they think they know it all. You want to drive a truck around Melbourne all day it keeps you on your toes. P-platers and curry munching taxi drivers as bad as one another.
Agreed Cameron (that's my son's name too), but everyone has to learn somewhere I guess. And there is something nice about enthusiasm as long as it is combined with common sense....I was on a track for 3 years before I was allowed on the road and I think that was a good place to learn in some ways.....

Having said that, I think a lot of the young guys on here sound really sensible and have their heads screwed on the right way - I have been really impressed actually. I hope my son grows up to be so enthusiastic about cars and also with some of the common sense I see on here....

Driving a truck around Mebourne must be hard, but you have a decent road system most of the time, yeah?

#11 ·
bedflute said:
`i thought u scratched his car so he beat u
What the?

#12 ·
Do yourself a a favour, and do not mix coolants, they have a habit of not mixing, and mixing, and can do more damage, and do not add anything additives,they just dont need it, othe rthan TLC, cand Caltex Vortex fuel. My XR8 loves it better than optimax, and ulitmate. and it is cheaper..

#13 ·
NOBOUNDARIES said:
Do yourself a a favour, and do not mix coolants, they have a habit of not mixing, and mixing, and can do more damage, and do not add anything additives,they just dont need it, othe rthan TLC, cand Caltex Vortex fuel. My XR8 loves it better than optimax, and ulitmate. and it is cheaper..
Cheers NOBOUNDARIES. I do not mix coolants and I certainly dont add additives... not that silly. When I found out my coolant was really low a while back, on a weekend, I rang everwhere to try and find what to put in it and they really had no idea but most of them said Tectaloy - which is what I did in the end - figured it was better than nothing.

As for the additives, no chance. I have had this beef with Ford before - with my Festiva. They kept putting additives in and I kept asking them not to, on account of it being a waste of money (they were definitely charging me for them) - they put in all kinds of fuel injection cleaners (which caused some stuff to become dislodged and blocked an injector) and engine cleaners (oils these days all have cleaning properties)... Not to mention the dealer had a contract with Wynns to basically add as much of their stuff as they could, which is not according to the Ford manual....I kept asking for a service according to the manual only with no additives... in the end took it elsewhere to be serviced... granted it was only a Festiva but I learned my lesson.

Have never used Caltex Vortex and we dont have Optimax here. Have used Ultimate and it seemed ok....was recommended to use that or Mobil Synergy 8000.

Still dont know why my coolant was splashed all over the engine bay, or gearbox oil for that matter - but it seems likely that the gearbox oil got into my clutch.... which is dying fast.... : ( It is booked in to have it all fixed over 3 days at a different dealer to the one that stuffed me around and they are also gonna look at the O2 sensors since lean mode is running very lean and it surges....

Thanks for the info - beast will be back in action in a few weeks I guess...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.