BA II? Whats in it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

BA II? Whats in it?

Given that Fords already confirmed weight loss for series II I guess it isn't too early to start reasoning what could be in series II and what won't be. Also useful for those concidering buying a BA now or later.

Where do you think ford could lose some weight on series II.. I have to say the new IRS looks pretty chunky so could be aluminiumised or magnesiumised a bit to lighten it. With the current heavy duty parts finding life later in a IRS wagon and ute (ute could maybe use some weight in the back)?

Given that new gearboxes are on the cards eventually.. Could these be lighter than the current ones?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2002, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

I'd like to see a few exterior changes. Seeing more than half the range has blacked out headlights, why can't they be put on the Fairmont and Futura? Also, bolder grilles on the Fairmont, you can hardly see the chrome. The back, the number plate surround can be made fancier, and both Fairmont's should share the same 'chrome' surround. XR wheels should be an option on all models, not this Ghia only 225/50 17 bullcrap, as should be the suspension. Side mouldings should have chrome stripes too (looks odd to me, only on the bumpers), and I believe that as per Berlina/Calais, the Fairmont's should have chrome surrounds on the door/windows ala Fairlane. The new bumpers look great with that extra part at the bottom, really integrated, but the side skirts still look too AUish. Exhaust tips should be an option on all models too. Someone should be hired to design a good looking spoiler for once, the XR one is ok, but the other one is a joke, I'd be embarrassed to own a BA with a spoiler like that. That's the end of my whinge No, but seriously, most of these things do not cost more, and when they give the car a better appearance, I don't know why they can't be at least options?
Old 12-11-2002, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Quote:
Originally posted by fte22
Side mouldings should have chrome stripes too (looks odd to me, only on the bumpers), and I believe that as per Berlina/Calais, the Fairmont's should have chrome surrounds on the door/windows ala Fairlane.
I totally agree FTE....

Whenever a new model comes out I always look at the Fairmont and the BA Fairmont looks like a XT from side on apart from the wheels which is a shame because the rear and front looks classy. It seems as if they forgot about Fairmont.... Even the VY Calais side profile looks nice because of these touches..... One suggestion....

BRING BACK WHEEL ARCH MOULDS
Apart from that I wouldn't change a bit WELL DONE FORD!
Old 12-11-2002, 22:33   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Side mouldings should have chrome stripes too (looks odd to me, only on the bumpers), and I believe that as per Berlina/Calais, the Fairmont's should have chrome surrounds on the door/windows ala Fairlane. Exhaust tips should be an option on all models too. Someone should be hired to design a good looking spoiler for once, the XR one is ok, but the other one is a joke, I'd be embarrassed to own a BA with a spoiler like that.
Seems like you appear to be missing the old 'dag' factor of some of the earlier Falcons. Sorry, but I do not agree with most of the things you have said, but every body has their own taste.

I just get frustrated by people who take a good clean modern design and add K-Mart accessories and pinstipes.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

biggrin

Quote:
Originally posted by CDAA
Seems like you appear to be missing the old 'dag' factor of some of the earlier Falcons. Sorry, but I do not agree with most of the things you have said, but every body has their own taste.

I just get frustrated by people who take a good clean modern design and add K-Mart accessories and pinstipes.
Hehe, I know everybody has their own tastes and I'm not knocking the car because I love it, but you can't say they are K-Mart accessories. It's a Falcon, not a BMW, pinstripes and exhaust tips all around I'll always buy a Fairmont, but I'm not happy that it's been turned into a grandpa car that I can't do much with it factory wise, especially compared to what I did with my AU. However, I guess later series are always touched up, ie, EF->EL, AUI->II/III with improved fronts/behinds and I guess with the BA, it was made extra conservative for reasons we all know. Herrod will be getting my business when I get my BA :)
fte22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 23:20   #6 (permalink)

go easy on the chrome. It'll end up looking tacky.
Old 12-11-2002, 23:37   #7 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Hehe, I know everybody has their own tastes and I'm not knocking the car because I love it, but you can't say they are K-Mart accessories. It's a Falcon, not a BMW, pinstripes and exhaust tips all around I'll always buy a Fairmont, but I'm not happy that it's been turned into a grandpa car that I can't do much with it factory wise, especially compared to what I did with my AU. However, I guess later series are always touched up, ie, EF->EL, AUI->II/III with improved fronts/behinds and I guess with the BA, it was made extra conservative for reasons we all know. Herrod will be getting my business when I get my BA :)
Fair enough. Now Herrod accessories would be one good move I do agree with!!!!!

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 23:49   #8 (permalink)
goooone

I've always thought Fairmonts were grandpa cars I'd always go the sports model or the base model or Ghias the inbetweener models never seem to offer enough to bother IMO
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 00:10   #9 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrock
go easy on the chrome. It'll end up looking tacky.
XR XT XW XY XA XB XC XD XE XF EA EB ED EF EL AU Fairmont tacky and daggy??? Geez that tackiness lasted a long time.... red stripes might be tacky mate but not chrome IMO.

Do all Fairmonts look tacky except BA?? ... What I was saying as was FTE is that on BA Fairmonts the side doesn't integrate with the front and rear ends, all they need to do in continue the strip from front and rear bumpers to the side mouldings and that would make a noticeable difference ie its too similar to XT.

Chrome is only tacky when its not factory applied like all those ricers with chrome mirrors.. chrome stickers on the fuel cap door etc

I'd like to hear from other Fairmont owners on this topic ...

Just a thought
Old 12-12-2002, 00:48   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by CDAA
...a good clean modern design...
If Ford change from this philosophy then I for one will be dissapointed in the extreme. BA is a great looking range IMO. If anything had to be changed I would say minor trim details (not that they're needed) and weight loss.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons