BA Internal Doorhandles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Are your internal door handles fouling?
Yes they are 14 48.28%
No there’re fine 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

BA Internal Doorhandles

Could a few BA owners/drivers have a quick look at their internal doorhandles to see if;

1. The leading edge of the lever is fouling the plastic surround trim.
2. The small rubber stop used by Ford (pushed into the trim) has deformed allowing the above to occur.
supermono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Re: BA Internal Doorhandles

Yes, mine too, ute both sides. A couple of pics. Circled the rubber stopper. The first pic shows the white tell tale signs of the handle hitting the black insert.
http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...cat=998&page=1
http://www.fordgallery.com/showphoto...cat=998&page=1
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Sheriff

Interesting, cause if you hadn't pointed it out i would never have noticed.

But the tell tail signs are there.

" i will own another V8, just what type of body it's in is another question. "
philbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 20:18   #4 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Mine is starting to do that too, also check out your seat belt strap where the strap comes out of the pillar, my surround is being cut by the strap even on the rarely used passengers seat, not a very good design it seems
Old 10-29-2003, 03:20   #5 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGROMS.com
Mine is starting to do that too, also check out your seat belt strap where the strap comes out of the pillar, my surround is being cut by the strap even on the rarely used passengers seat, not a very good design it seems
I started a poll on this over at the turbo forums, seems like it is a poor design!!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Yep on mine 2 months old. Some really bad decisions have been made re. plastics design in these machines. The main problem is that the handles have been designed to be really sharp on that bottom corner and that's allowing the scraping to occur. There's a heap of places in the cabin where the plastics are sharp edged, affecting appearance and function. While the fit and finish has been good in my vehicle no amount of precision can counteract poor intial design.
Old 10-29-2003, 21:12   #7 (permalink)

Question Re: BA Internal Doorhandles

55% effected vs 45% as I post, but only 18 voters so lets be fair and say that's too small a sample to make much of .

However I just went and visited my BA at the dealers (still not fixed so it has more time to spend under their care ). Quick straw poll of a few vehicles in the yard (drivers door only) had a 100% hit rate.

All 4 trims have now been replaced in mine, but the drivers door is allready suffering the start of the same fault (and I haven't taken it home yet).

I hope Ford has plenty of trims in stock.
Old 10-29-2003, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Supermono,

Again I don't think replacing the trims is going to help you much. Note that when opening the door, downward pressure is placed on the handles as they are often supporting a bit of weight. As long as the bottom edge of the handle remains sharp you will have problems, as there is a certain amount of upward/downward play in the handle. The rub is (all puns intended) that the handles are metallized so trying to smooth back these edges will damage the metal coating. Not sure what the solution is here.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:24   #9 (permalink)

yes mine have done that to /xr ute all the plastic trims in the ba interior mark far to easy
xrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 14:56   #10 (permalink)

I totally agree, that's why I said "I hope Ford has plenty of trims in stock", because they will need to keep replacing them until the cows come home.

My dealer has "advised Ford" about the issue as they looked at their own stock of cars at the same time I did and can see this is an engineering issue beyond straight warranty replacements.

The fix isn't to remove the sharp edge from the lever, it's to prevent the edge of the lever from coming into contact with the trim. This will require an engineered solution that may be as simple as replacing the rubber stops with a different material and design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madder
Supermono,

Again I don't think replacing the trims is going to help you much. Note that when opening the door, downward pressure is placed on the handles as they are often supporting a bit of weight. As long as the bottom edge of the handle remains sharp you will have problems, as there is a certain amount of upward/downward play in the handle. The rub is (all puns intended) that the handles are metallized so trying to smooth back these edges will damage the metal coating. Not sure what the solution is here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons