Ford Forums banner

The BA MkII Falcon

30K views 222 replies 95 participants last post by  sbeaugs 
#1 ·
A stunning new six-speed manual transmission in the XR6 Turbo and XR8 performance vehicles heads a list of changes for the new Ford Falcon due in October

"The BA Falcon represented a big step forward for Ford Australia when it was introduced in 2002. Now the new BA MkII Falcon is destined to build on the success of that model," said Ford Australia President Tom Gorman.

"With the launch of BA, the XR range of performance vehicles reignited the passion of driving enthusiasts around the country.

"The new cars combined an outstanding mix of superb driving dynamics with a range of powerplants including the exhilarating XR6 Turbo and the heady four-valve Boss 260 V8.

"XR led the showroom charge in the BA range, increasing sales mix from 6.8 per cent of total Falcon sales in 2002 to more than 27 per cent in 2004.

"Now our new Tremec T56 six-speed manual transmission, fine tuned by the FPV engineers to provide optimum performance, adds the final touch to the performance line-up, resulting in improved performance feel," Gorman said.

Performance Vehicle Planning Manager Gordon Barfield said the arrival of the new six-speed manual transmission heralded a new era for the high performance Ford models.

"The BA MkII XR6 Turbo and XR8 confirms Ford as the manufacturer providing enthusiast cars for enthusiast drivers.

"Drivers will appreciate the improved performance feel, while still having a gearbox that offers tractable performance through all the gears at typical driving speeds.

"Fifth gear is well suited to the 60 km/h speed limit and sixth gear pulls strongly below 100 km/h offering peace-of-mind motoring. The close ratios in the new gearbox make it easy to select the right gear for the right occasion."

Barfield confirmed the transmission would come with a unique gear set for both the XR6 Turbo and XR8, designed to match each engine's unique performance characteristics.

The final drive ratio in the XR8 has changed from 3.23 to 3.46, while the XR6 Turbo final drive ratio has shortened from 3.46 to 3.73.

Double synchros in all six forward gears will be a feature of the new six-speed transmission, along with a single synchro in reverse to ensure a sweet shifting movement.

"Ford and the Premier Automotive Group have a distinguished history employing the T56 six-speed transmission, which features on products such as the Mustang Cobra R and the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish.

"Drawing on that experience has helped in providing a transmission that further accentuates the sporting nature of the XR6 Turbo and XR8 while providing outstanding shift quality and performance feel."

Barfield said the MkII XR8 would also benefit from a suspension upgrade.

"Firmer spring rates have sharpened the steering response on the XR8 with a flatter ride and nimbler handling designed to further improve the athletic nature of the car," Barfield said.

Gorman said the MkII update would build on the inherent strengths of the BA program.

"The award-winning BA Falcon not only gained critical acclaim but won a host of important motoring, engineering and safety awards as well.

"More importantly it spearheaded a revival in the sales fortunes of Ford Australia built on providing product that inspires passion and confidence in the market.

"It also heralded a new era in motorsport with Marcos Ambrose reclaiming the V8 Supercar championship for the Blue Oval.

"MkII represents a further development of the BA Falcon with the changes driven by customer demand for extra features."

Creature comforts such as cruise control and automatic headlamps are now standard throughout the Falcon range and power adjustable pedals are standard on Futura.

Futura safety levels have also been boosted significantly with the MkII version now boasting side airbags as standard equipment.

The Falcon Ute range also features heavily in the MkII upgrade, with new creature comforts, alloy rims and exciting new paint colours.

"This update signals Ford Australia's intention to continue providing locally designed and engineered product that motivates people into Ford showrooms."

Gorman said the BA MkII Falcon would deliver a truly exhilarating driving experience with its comprehensive mix of locally engineered design excellence including:

Superb handling offered by the Control Blade IRS
Fully independent double wishbone front suspension
Five high-tech engines ranging through the economy offered by the E-Gas dedicated LPG, the technology of the DOHC Barra 182, the breathtaking performance of the turbocharged Barra 240T, the silky smooth performance of the Barra 220 SOHC V8 or the exhilarating four-valve DOHC range of Boss V8s
All new six-speed manual transmission on XR6 Turbo and XR8 Automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift (SSS) allowing complete manual control over gear selection.
Standard cruise and audio controls
60/40 split fold-down rear seat back
Best in class towing capacity.

"Of course, the MkII comes complete with the Intelligent Safety System that won the coveted Gold award at the Society of Australia Engineers Excellence Awards in 2003," Gorman said.

Employing a number of sensors, the system monitors information such as driver seating positioning and crash severity.

In an accident this information is fed to the Advanced Restraints Module (ARM), which instantly decides how best to deploy modern safety technologies such as dual stage inflation airbags, front seat pyrotechnic seat belt pretensioners and energy seat belt retractors.

Other safety features include; anti-intrusion (collapsible) brake pedal on automatic models, front and rear impact management body structure and ABS with electronic brakeforce distribution for improved stopping performance and steering control.

Falcon also remains a leader in the technology stakes with a number of Australian firsts:

First Australian-manufactured vehicle with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
First Australian-manufactured vehicle with anti-intrusion brake pedal
First Australian-manufactured vehicle with power adjustable pedals
First Australian-manufactured vehicle with dual-stage inflatable airbags
First Australian-manufactured vehicle with on-screen antenna
First Australian-manufactured vehicle with optional pollen filter

Model by model

BA MkII XT Sedan and Wagon

Cruise control
New wheel covers
Auto headlamps on/off
Traction Control available as an option on I6 manual sedan and V8 manual sedans
New paint colour: Shockwave
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII Futura Sedan and Wagon

Side airbags
Power Adjustable Pedals
Auto headlamps on/off
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII Fairmont

Power Adjustable Pedals
Reverse Sensing System
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII Fairmont Ghia

New 17” alloy wheels
Leather and Woodgrain Sports Steering Wheel
Leather and Woodgrain Sequential Sports Shifter
New paint colour: Shockwave, Velocity and Blaze
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR6

New 17" alloy wheels
Alloy pedal covers
Second row centre armrest
Illuminated power window controls
Rear power windows
Traction Control on both manual and automatic transmission
Auto headlamps on/off
New paint colours: Blaze, Rapid, Velocity and Shockwave
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR6 Turbo

New 17" alloy wheels
Alloy pedal covers
Illuminated power window controls
Auto headlamps on/off
New six-speed manual transmission with short throw direct acting shift mechanism
Syncromesh on reverse gear
New gear shift knob with revised technical graphics
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR8

18" alloy wheels
Suspension upgrade
Alloy pedal covers
Power window controls illumination
Prestige audio system
Auto headlamps on/off
New six-speed manual transmission with short throw direct acting shift mechanism
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XL Ute

Auto headlamps on/off
Second remote key fob
Variable dwell and speed sensitive windscreen wipers
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII RTV Ute

Auto headlamps on/off
Second remote key fob
Variable dwell and speed sensitive windscreen wipers
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XLS Ute

Auto headlamps on/off
Second remote key fob
New side skirts
New body coloured side protection moulding
One tonne suspension on chassis cab
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR6 Ute

New 17" alloy wheels
Alloy pedal covers
Auto headlamps on/off
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR6 Turbo Ute

New 17" alloy wheels
Alloy pedal covers
Auto headlamps on/off
Unique MkII badging

BA MkII XR8 Ute

New 17" alloy wheels
Alloy pedal covers
Auto headlamps on/off
Unique MkII badging

The new alloy rims on the XR6 and XR6 Turbo Falcon retain the classic five-spoke design while Fairmont Ghia boasts an elegant new diamond turned nine-spoke alloy.

The highly acclaimed Falcon palette is enhanced even further by the MkII update, with the addition of four exciting new colours.

Shockwave is inspired by the BA Falcon's successes on the track, adding a wave of uninhibited excitement to the athletic exterior of the Falcon, while Blaze is a rich metallic gold that is bold and daring.

Velocity is a youthful blue epitomising stand-out performance and enhances the sporting nature of the XR range while Rapid is a searing hot yellow not for the faint hearted.

MkII customers will also enjoy an expanded range of accessories, with the addition of several roof storage options originally designed for the Territory.

The MkII Falcon can be optioned with a bike carrier, canoe/kayak holder, 375 litre or 405 litre roof luggage box or ski/snowboard carrier.

Inside, a new 15-litre 'Day Tripper' car fridge is now available, while the addition of a games adaptor ensures the optional REX3 DVD system can play the latest Xbox, Playstation 2 or Game Cube video games.

"The MkII Falcon offers superior value that exceeds expectations and is both desirable and attainable, whether you yearn for the performance of the XR6 Turbo or the refined comfort of the Fairmont Ghia.

"With features such as IRS, cruise control and the award winning Intelligent Safety System, the MkII Falcon value proposition is unmatched," said Gorman.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well well, i'm glad that power hasn't been increased and the gearboxes have been improved for the XR6T and XR8 in manual form... No new auto's thats the interesting call - but I think as it has been mentioned on other threads that ION have deals until 2006

#6 ·
Okay - the real question, whats the price change over the outgoing models?

#7 ·
The six speed was always going to happen but it seems they're holding back on some details??? I think the entire lack of cosmetic changes is a mistake - there could have been detail changes in bars at a minimum.

Still, it's good for BA1 owners!

#10 ·
Sounds pretty damn good. With these new gear ratio's the XR6T and XR8's performance should be even better. Don't know about the MkII moniker though, bit of a mouthful. When are MkII FPV specs revealed?

#13 ·
Now that the MkII is here, what do you think it'll do to the prices of used MkI cars? Since the changes are really only cosmetic it shouldn't affect them that much; only a small drop in price expected??

#14 ·
Ambrose_1 said:
I read that whole thing and I didn't get the impression that there will be no power upgrades, I thought it was just telling us about the new gearboxes and not the power because thats what everyone wants to know and they would release it closer to release, but I could be wrong
Gorman said the BA MkII Falcon would deliver a truly exhilarating driving experience with its comprehensive mix of locally engineered design excellence including:

Superb handling offered by the Control Blade IRS
Fully independent double wishbone front suspension
Five high-tech engines ranging through the economy offered by the E-Gas dedicated LPG, the technology of the DOHC Barra 182, the breathtaking performance of the turbocharged Barra 240T, the silky smooth performance of the Barra 220 SOHC V8 or the exhilarating four-valve DOHC range of Boss V8s
All new six-speed manual transmission on XR6 Turbo and XR8 Automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift (SSS) allowing complete manual control over gear selection.
Standard cruise and audio controls
60/40 split fold-down rear seat back
Best in class towing capacity.

I don't think you'd still be calling them the Barra182, Barra240T or Barra220 if they were going to change power outputs. Maybe on the BossV8's, but I'd say only FPV if that's the case.

Commodore type gearing will certainly - and finally - improve performance, but I also notice there was no song and dance about improved weight.

Also, did anyone else notice the XR8 ute only get's 17" wheels and not the XR8 sedan's 18" wheels??? I wonder if you'll finally be able to order the large colour TFT screen in the ute?

A bit underwhelming really... Certainly less than I was expecting considering The changes to Commodore for VZ

#16 ·
Sounds good, does that mean they're dropping the TR3650 gearbox? I hope you're right Perana the 0.50 6th gear is something we can do without.

I don't think they needed to do much for the series 2, the BA is a good package as is, better to put the effort into getting the details right and perhaps pulling some weight out as well - ie small running changes.

They just need the arrogant attitude to go with it though - ie Holden will bag Ford for not bringing out a new model, Ford need to retort with "well we didn't need a new model, there is nothing wrong with ours".

One final point - thanks to RPO83 for breaking the news here as always!

#19 ·
Well armrests for XR's backseat and a 6 speed manual.

Pretty underwhelming, no power upgrades (for any engine), no new auto, no comments about weight reduction, no new models, no AWD, almost no changes to exterior or interior.

Not 100% clear whats in the upgrade:
-Auto headlights
-illuminated window controls
-arm rest on T and 8 XR's
-6 speed man on Turbo and XR8
-18's standard on XR8

Then the rest is just a rejig of some of the options, trim, standard equip, etc

"The MkII Falcon offers superior value that exceeds expectations and is both desirable and attainable, whether you yearn for the performance of the XR6 Turbo or the refined comfort of the Fairmont Ghia."

I want both. I guess that means no Ghia crossover, with the turbo engine?

#22 ·
IPhido said:
Well armrests for XR's backseat and a 6 speed manual.

Pretty underwhelming, no power upgrades (for any engine), no new auto, no comments about weight reduction, no new models, no AWD, almost no changes to exterior or interior.

Not 100% clear whats in the upgrade:
-Auto headlights
-illuminated window controls
-arm rest on T and 8 XR's
-6 speed man on Turbo and XR8
-18's standard on XR8

Then the rest is just a rejig of some of the options, trim, standard equip, etc

"The MkII Falcon offers superior value that exceeds expectations and is both desirable and attainable, whether you yearn for the performance of the XR6 Turbo or the refined comfort of the Fairmont Ghia."

I want both. I guess that means no Ghia crossover, with the turbo engine?
Remember that it is simply a refreshment of the BA...there won't be anything major done until the new one.

#23 ·
Very dissapointing. Hopefully the t-56 is better than the holden one, though I doubt it will be. I cant belive they didn't change power outputs at all. They could have easily made the 182kw six into 200kw with just a slightly different exhaust and computer tunning. Same thing with the 240t they could have had a 260t now that they have the t56. I cant belive how uncompetitive Ford can be sometimes. They could easily out do Holden but they choose not to.

#24 ·
loxxr6 said:
What effect will the final drive ratio's etc have on performance now ???
I'd say the shorter final drive is to make up for a taller first gear. First gear would be taller because it is a "close ratio" gearbox i.e. less RPM drop between gears.

Anyone know what the actual gearbox ratios are? Would be good to compare to the t56 behind the LS1...

This should help get the 1/4 and 0-100 times down a bit without any change in power from the engine.

DT

#26 ·
Well, I have to say that visually, I'm extreamly underwhelmed. Great news about the gearbox but there had better be more to it power wise. All in all, its been a huge anticlimax. The could have at least changed something appearance wise so you could tell a BA1 from and BA2!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.