BA SS Mode - which way do you prefer? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 16:45   #1 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

BA SS Mode - which way do you prefer?

Hi guys,

Well as you may or may not know, I have managed to install a BA shifter into my EA and get the SS running as well (thread here: BA'o'MATIC - BA Shifter stage 1 now complete).

What I would like to know is that the SS mode as it set so - (down gear) is click forward, and the + (up gear) is a click back, now following standard gearbox setup this is backwards.

SO does everyone leave it as it is, or have most people switched it around so that when you click it back you go down gears and forward goes up gears.

thanks for the replies.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
freelance

Re: BA SS Mode - which way do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Hi guys,

Well as you may or may not know, I have managed to install a BA shifter into my EA and get the SS running as well (thread here: BA'o'MATIC - BA Shifter stage 1 now complete).

What I would like to know is that the SS mode as it set so - (down gear) is click forward, and the + (up gear) is a click back, now following standard gearbox setup this is backwards.

SO does everyone leave it as it is, or have most people switched it around so that when you click it back you go down gears and forward goes up gears.

thanks for the replies.
It soon feels very logical, leave it as it is!!!

90% of the time its just push left for more poke, pull right for cruising.
With the Boss the hardest part of manual shifting if changing up before your well into the limiter. But its lost of fun locked into a gear.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

I'd leave it as it is, it is very logical and you get used to it straight away.
Also keeps it "original".
Old 12-05-2004, 19:26   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

There are two schools of thought:
1. Forward is +, because it's toward the higher numbers on the main selector (if that makes sense)
2. Foward is -, because of physics ie when you're changing down you're usually decelerating so the natural force on the gear lever is forward.

WRC cars are set up as per option2.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Agree with the others. Leave it the way it is, it's the most logical set up. I've driven a Honda Prelude which had the SS the other way around (forward is upshift, backwards is downshift) and found it to be a little awkward, the BA SS is much better.

Nice job on the conversion. I have been contemplaiting doing the same on my TS50 which has the ESS buttons on the steering wheel, but I'd prefer it to be on my left and in the usual position. Would it be hard to do this conversion with my TS50? I have no power/economic button near the T-bar, the ESS button is located in that spot instead, but can change between power, economic and addaptive shift modes by the method discribed here. I'd like to do this conversion and would like to hear your opinion, as you have already done it on your EA.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

AUGZMK - If it's selectable it's switchable, i think the ability to switch between PEF - Maximum Performance Mode, ECO - Maximum Economy Mode, and ADP - Adaptive Shift Strategy, may be a bit beyond a simple program given the method required to set them, but nothing impossible just highly improbable.

Fitting it to the TS50 would not be all the dificult to do, as the whole shifter and cable set up is rather simple, brackets and cable routing may be an issue depending on clearence avaliable around the exhaust, but that should not pose too much problem, the main consideration to take into account, is that a small amount of trans tunnel has to be trimmed/cut out for the shifter to fit (at least in the E-series), and I have to make a small hole/slit in the base plate for the steering column to save fire wall cutting.

If you are still interested let me know via PM, and we can further discuss whats involved and I can get a little more detail on setting the modes, there may be a way to work around them to allow them to be selectable.

Old 12-06-2004, 15:33   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I would leave it the way it is. People get reversed manual valve bodies so it is like this as well.

IT sounds like an awesome mod. I would love to have it in my car. That and the shift kit I have now would make it heaps of fun to drive.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:53   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well after driving it more and playing with the SS mode (damn I love it), as close to driving a manual without the pedal as you can get, I will leave it as it is, it does make the most logical sense.

Old 12-06-2004, 16:05   #9 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

i prefer it the other way round to be honest... but after a day or so of fiddling with it you get used to the fact that it seems to be the wrong way around. i'd also was used my dad's 350Z which had the shifts the other way around.. which made the ba feel foreign.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:42   #10 (permalink)

I have a B&M mega shifter (rachet shifter) in my AU V8 ute and i have the Ba fairmont with the backwards setup. I am having trouble adapting as i drive the ute everyday and the fairmont only 3 or so times a week. How do i change it around?
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons