Ford Forums banner

BA water pump o-ring

15K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  baxr6 
#1 ·
Just had a warranty job done today for the water pump o-ring and its common, if any of u BA'sters have a coolant leak from the front, 98% chance its the o-ring.

#7 ·
Re: Re: BA water pump o-ring

SPALDING GREEN said:
It's to do with the bypass pipe sitting off centre in the waterpump. the block is being altered where the pipe mounts to fix the problem.
Hey SPALDING GREEN, your nick doesn't have anything to do with leaking coolant by any chance does it? Where did you hear that this was the ploblem?I have replaced many waterpump Orings on BA's, but never gave it a second thought as to why they leak from there so much.

AU's were the same though they leaked from the waterpump Oring too. Although maybe not quite so much. They liked to shit out radiators.

#8 ·
AU4.0 said:
Just had a warranty job done today for the water pump o-ring and its common, if any of u BA'sters have a coolant leak from the front, 98% chance its the o-ring.

I took my car for a work related drive up to Swan hill and back (from Melbourne) in the same day. Went down to the car the next morning and the entire coolant tank and emptied itself. Got the car towed and 1/2 a day later it was ready to be picked up from the service center good as new. Yup a water pump o-ring.

I'm back to carrying 2 litres of water and coolant in the boot of my car, I thought I gave up that habit when I got rid of the AUII :wtf:

#10 ·
Yeah, i'm one of them. Mine got replaced on my turbo ute last week. Coolant reservoir drained pretty much within two days.

#11 ·
Ahh :) Yeah Citric acid does look like the colour you would expect to see on a Lleyton Hewitt Special XR8.

I replaced another water pump Oring today. it does seem that the bypass pipe sits off centre to the left (if you were looking from inside the car) which is why it scrimps the Oring.

#13 ·
the leak has nothing to do with over torqueing the
rail mounting bolts the mount has not been changed
a small machined spacer in the end of the pipe is being used as an interim measure to center the pipe in the pump journal until an updated pipe is available

#14 ·
baxr6

It never ceases to amaze me how FoMoCo can keep releasing this type of problem on people. I have given up keeping track of how much coolant I have gone through. Firstly it was the heater core stuffed at 7000kms and now some other mystery leak.
I used to check the coolant level every time I filled up until the bonnet release broke off, can't these clowns pull apart a Toyota or a Mazda and see how they manage to keep the vital fluids in their motors.
After having to replace the water pump at 70k on my previous EL, I saw how bodgy the o ring setup was, is it rocket science to set an extra groove and put two O rings on the pipe.
I feel for the normal joe public who buys his shiny new XR6 and gets it serviced at the correct intervals only to find the thing dumps its coolant and cooks itself, ala EA falcon style with less than 10k on the clock, or worse hotspots the head or block to create dramas when it is out of warranty.
I still love driving the car, but 2003 and having to drive around with a bottle of water in the boot WTF were they thinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.