Ford Forums banner

BA and XR

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  FANTM1 
#1 ·
Hey can someone please tell me what XR and BA stands for? (I'm assuming they have some meaning behind them)

#3 ·
XR = Xtra unReal.

Nah have no idea.

#5 ·
Apart from Barra, the BA is just a model number designating a series like AU,EL an so on. I believe that originally it was going to be the AV, but they changed it to BA to try and further distance the new car from the relative disaster that the AU had become for them . . . (correct me if I'm wrong)

The below was about the most information I could find . . . seems no one really knows . . . Maybe the Ford Info centre might be able to help . . .

In fact the 'XR' badge had been used as long ago as 1967 on an American Mercury Cougar which was the XR7 but no-one really seems to know where it came from. Since then a whole series of XR's have been produced XR2,XR3,XR4,XR6 and the XR8. For those who don't know about the XR6 & XR8 as they aren't spoken about much, they are version of the Ford Sierra built in South Africa. Even now to this day there has never been an XR1 ever made.
The above was a pommy site, hence the unusual XR6/8 ideas :)

#6 ·
One can also draw the link to the first well known V8 Falcon, the XR GT. But that seems more coincidence than planning.

#10 ·
BA is Barra. Derr... :rofl:
XR comes from the Pommy Fords as per the post above. Was introduced by Tickford which has a fair pommy influence in it.. :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.