Ford Forums banner

BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

19K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  dk_falconXR6 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I noticed lately that the steering rack on my XR6 is getting to be quite noisy. It makes a clicking sound when turning steering the wheel and reversing. Has anyone elso experienced this problem? I have had the car in for service and did mention it to the dealer, who responding something about putting shims (on/in/under??) the steering rack as part of a recall. This seemed to have solved the problem for a few weeks, however the noise is now back worse than ever.

#2 ·
My October 02 built XR6 is going in for this same problem next Monday.

Started clicking once in a blue moon about 4 months ago, but just in the last month it's become quite regular, so while it's in getting the rear brakes fixed AGAIN they're going to have a look for me.

With yours dk_f, if they've 'shimmed' it once (how the Hell do you shim a steering rack???) take it back until they get it right. There were reports on here when this first came to light that they were replacing the steering racks on early build cars if the problem was bad enough.

#3 ·
this happened on dads company car a while back.

Took it to the ford service department and they were going to replace the steering rack, but in the end they didnt. I am not sure what they did exactly (perhaps tightned or lossened slightly the connections?) but it works a treat and have had no dramas 4 months later....

Apparently fairly common (so therefore know fault)

#5 ·
JR, mine is November 02 build, most likely needs a new steering rack, however dealer is probably trying to take the cheapest way out.

Regarding the shim, i think they put a shim plate between the rack and the chassis where is all bolts together. (I'm not too technical on what they do).

Let me know how you go.

By the way, nice car, saw it at the Peter Warren all ford day. That was you with the painted engine bay????

#6 ·
Re: Re: BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

dk_falconXR6 said:
JR, mine is November 02 build, most likely needs a new steering rack, however dealer is probably trying to take the cheapest way out.

Regarding the shim, i think they put a shim plate between the rack and the chassis where is all bolts together. (I'm not too technical on what they do).

Let me know how you go.

By the way, nice car, saw it at the Peter Warren all ford day. That was you with the painted engine bay????
Yes, I can relate to a dealer wanting to take the easy way out. Mine have certain cheapskate tendencies too.

Not sure I like the idea of having my steering rack shimmed. I wonder what effect if any this would have on the safety of the car. I've just honestly never heard of it before.

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal thing the do to steering racks???

Thanks for the comment on the car. Yes it was the one on the FPV-Tickford display with the blueprint engine bits. It's not finished yet, phase 2 of the work starts next week, but it should look good come the SMS display.

Cheers
Jason

#7 ·
Hi guys, mine did the ticking noise to, all it was is the steering rack hitting a piece of the aluminium heat shield under the bonnet. My Ford dealer fixed it in 5 minutes.

Hope this helps guys.

#8 ·
dk_falconXR6 said:
Hello All,

I noticed lately that the steering rack on my XR6 is getting to be quite noisy. It makes a clicking sound when turning steering the wheel and reversing. Has anyone elso experienced this problem? I have had the car in for service and did mention it to the dealer, who responding something about putting shims (on/in/under??) the steering rack as part of a recall. This seemed to have solved the problem for a few weeks, however the noise is now back worse than ever.

Drop into your ford dealer.Ford released a TSB regarding this problem. Your dealer should know about it.It is caused by a thread burr on the stud hole in the crossmember or steering gear surface damage.

#9 ·
Yeah a Technical Serivice bulletin (TSB) has been issued on this as it has been quite a problem. I think they drill out the stud hole in the cross member. Not too sure on the details but something along those lines.

#11 ·
Re: Re: Re: BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

JR said:
Yes, I can relate to a dealer wanting to take the easy way out. Mine have certain cheapskate tendencies too.
your dealer dosnt pay for the warranty work done on your car, Ford Australia pays the dealer for all work carried out on your car, the dealers put in a warranty claim and the big boys at broady send them some cash for the labor and parts to be replaced...

#12 ·
The TSB states that a weld burr on the steering rack securing studs binds with the alloy housing of the rack which under certain circumstances causing a loud creaking or clicking sound when turning.The fix for this is to remove the rack assy and cut a taper in the rack mounting holes to accomodate the weld.This procedure "IS" covered by your vehicle warranty.So dont settle for half ass'd repairs.Your dealer should be aware of this problem.

#13 ·
I had the car in for service about 4-5 weeks ago. The invoice mentions something about field campaign repairs on steering rack. (something about shims).....
I had the car in last week due to a noise from the fan belt pulley, belt had started to deteriorate into a black powder all over the engine bay, and to also look at the clicking noise in the rack, the dealers reponse was to re-tighten the rack. Noise is worse than ever.

#18 ·
remember the BA is whole new car, all new engineering there are going to be few hicups..on the other hand the vy c,dore is the same car for the last 5 years just a few cosmetic changes..

#19 ·
My car went in today for the steering problem, when I picked it up service said it was subject to the TSB and they'd carried out the rectification.

Early days yet, but no noises on the way home. Fingers crossed it's all okay now.

#21 ·
dk_falconXR6 said:
JR, where do you get your car serviced, the dealership sounds like they know what they are doing.
Well I wouldn't go that far - they are a Ford Dealer after all.

Dale Ford at Bankstown is the dealer in question, and while their work seems good overall, I still hold some reservations about their communications skills due to past mix-ups.

In this case though, the work was done promptly and seems to have fixed the problems I had. So far, so good.

#22 ·
There seems to be many issues with the FPV XR/GT's that ford should have dealt with by now. I emailed ford customer service in a vain attempt to see if they would comment. Below if my email and their response, it resembles a CIA document with black texta everywhere!! Nice to see they support their past and potential customers so well, it's making me have secound thoughts on cashing in my AUII.

My Email to Ford
I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a BA XR8 with various options.

I have been reading through various web forums, talking with a number of dealers as well as friends/aquaintences who own BA XR's and have a few concerns regarding build quality.

Could you please look through the list below and make comment or provide assurance that these issues have been rectified?

* Brake Shudder
* Clicking Steering
* Loud Steering Pump
* Oil Leaks (various places of origin)
* Trim coming loose from body
* Plastic trim rubbing together causing squeaking
* 18" wheels not able to be balanced
* Damaged LCD screens (spots on screen)
* Handbrake Dragging
* Engine Mount Issues
* and finally the most concerning of all is the apparent lack of support on these warranty claims by the dealer network. Some people I have spoken to have been back to their dealer 4 and 5 times with the same issue.

I look forward to your respone, and hopefully you can assure me that these issues are no longer cause for concern.

Ford's Response
Thank you for your email to Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to Ford Australia, however we can
not comment on these issues that you have listed.
Ford warrants to the Owner that it will during the Ford Vehicle Warranty
Period, at its option, repair, replace or adjust free of charge at the
premises of the Servicing Dealer any Part of the Vehicle (except tyres,
tubes and batteries) which it finds to be defective in factory materials or
workmanship under normal use and operation within Australia.

#23 ·
I checked my last service invoice and it says the following.

check steering rack - clicking noise when turning ..FITTED SHIMS BETWEEN RACK/CM..

Why the hell does CITY FORD ROCKDALE not know about the TSB. Why the hell are they fitting shims between the steering rack and cross member????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.