BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 16:15   #1 (permalink)

Question BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

Hello All,

I noticed lately that the steering rack on my XR6 is getting to be quite noisy. It makes a clicking sound when turning steering the wheel and reversing. Has anyone elso experienced this problem? I have had the car in for service and did mention it to the dealer, who responding something about putting shims (on/in/under??) the steering rack as part of a recall. This seemed to have solved the problem for a few weeks, however the noise is now back worse than ever.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 18:45   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

My October 02 built XR6 is going in for this same problem next Monday.

Started clicking once in a blue moon about 4 months ago, but just in the last month it's become quite regular, so while it's in getting the rear brakes fixed AGAIN they're going to have a look for me.

With yours dk_f, if they've 'shimmed' it once (how the Hell do you shim a steering rack???) take it back until they get it right. There were reports on here when this first came to light that they were replacing the steering racks on early build cars if the problem was bad enough.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Re: BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

this happened on dads company car a while back.

Took it to the ford service department and they were going to replace the steering rack, but in the end they didnt. I am not sure what they did exactly (perhaps tightned or lossened slightly the connections?) but it works a treat and have had no dramas 4 months later....

Apparently fairly common (so therefore know fault)
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 20:46   #4 (permalink)

No clicking, but the odd 'groan' when swapping lock in reverse (parking, not driving backward). Sounds like it could be hydraulic, scares the cr$# out of the wife.
supermono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 21:29   #5 (permalink)

JR, mine is November 02 build, most likely needs a new steering rack, however dealer is probably trying to take the cheapest way out.

Regarding the shim, i think they put a shim plate between the rack and the chassis where is all bolts together. (I'm not too technical on what they do).

Let me know how you go.

By the way, nice car, saw it at the Peter Warren all ford day. That was you with the painted engine bay????
Old 09-24-2003, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Re: Re: BA XR6 CLicking in Steering Rack??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_falconXR6
JR, mine is November 02 build, most likely needs a new steering rack, however dealer is probably trying to take the cheapest way out.

Regarding the shim, i think they put a shim plate between the rack and the chassis where is all bolts together. (I'm not too technical on what they do).

Let me know how you go.

By the way, nice car, saw it at the Peter Warren all ford day. That was you with the painted engine bay????
Yes, I can relate to a dealer wanting to take the easy way out. Mine have certain cheapskate tendencies too.

Not sure I like the idea of having my steering rack shimmed. I wonder what effect if any this would have on the safety of the car. I've just honestly never heard of it before.

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal thing the do to steering racks???

Thanks for the comment on the car. Yes it was the one on the FPV-Tickford display with the blueprint engine bits. It's not finished yet, phase 2 of the work starts next week, but it should look good come the SMS display.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Phantom BA XR6

Hi guys, mine did the ticking noise to, all it was is the steering rack hitting a piece of the aluminium heat shield under the bonnet. My Ford dealer fixed it in 5 minutes.

Hope this helps guys.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_falconXR6
Hello All,

I noticed lately that the steering rack on my XR6 is getting to be quite noisy. It makes a clicking sound when turning steering the wheel and reversing. Has anyone elso experienced this problem? I have had the car in for service and did mention it to the dealer, who responding something about putting shims (on/in/under??) the steering rack as part of a recall. This seemed to have solved the problem for a few weeks, however the noise is now back worse than ever.

Drop into your ford dealer.Ford released a TSB regarding this problem. Your dealer should know about it.It is caused by a thread burr on the stud hole in the crossmember or steering gear surface damage.
ralfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah a Technical Serivice bulletin (TSB) has been issued on this as it has been quite a problem. I think they drill out the stud hole in the cross member. Not too sure on the details but something along those lines.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 03:49   #10 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

I've had this issue with my car at about 3000kms, took it in and had the TSB solution applied and no more clicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons