BA XR6 Impressions - Long - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2002, 05:48   #1 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Thumbs up BA XR6 Impressions - Long

Well unlike a few unlucky people on this forum the new red BA XR6 was delivered yesterday, not a day later than the original date that was given by the dealer! and boy was it worth the one month wait.

The differences coming from an AUII XR6 are incredible, its one hell of a facelift. Well the best place to start is with the motor. Basically its, as the reports say, a gem. It has only done about 100 kays and already it feels much sharper than the XR6 VCT. I haven't taken it above about 4000rpm yet. However it has much more punch through the low to mid-range than the old VCT ever had. Like most people I was expecting the car to feel perhaps a little slower off the line than the AU and then to build however this is not the case. I don't know how much of an effect the fly-by-wire throttle system has, but off the line it feels a lot quicker and it simply piles on the revs in a furiously smooth manor.

While it is still to early to tell how fast this car is in comparison to the old XR6 VCT, my gut feeling is that it will be quite a bit sharper. It really does appear to get out of the box quicker and I can only imagine how sharp an XR6T must feel – let alone ‘the Boss’.

The gearbox also feels different to the old XR6, which is mainly due to its new location. It is now closer to the driver and because of this it feels more natural. The clutch is totally different. Indeed I was quite shocked the first time I drove it. It is much, much lighter than the clutch on the AU and it certainly makes the car feel more user-friendly. The other issue I was worried about with the manual, before driving the car, was the lack of a driver’s footrest. However it is not a problem, indeed the first time I drove the car I didn’t even realise there wasn’t one. The driver’s foot well is on an angle and subsequently you rest your foot on the floor as if it was the footrest. It actually works quite well.

Personally the jury is still out on the new steering. The new steering wheel itself is great and feels much smaller. The cruise control and radio buttons also work well and feel more integrated than on the AU wheel. However the steering is heavier than the AU and this is quite noticeable at low speeds. It also seems to offer less feedback at lower speeds as well, however on a nice piece of road it feels just as good as the old model so ultimately the steering isn’t a problem.

I was also getting quite worried about the build quality after hearing a few ‘horror’ stories on here about poor fit and finish however to me this particular car seem pretty good. Sure the plastics and the ‘touchy feely stuff’ is not VW – Audi quality, but it is certainly a massive improvement over the past model and the whole cabin feels a much nicer place to be.

Overall I am very, very impressed, even after all the hype. It is one hell of an effort from Ford and this car deserves to be successful. To anyone who is on the waiting list for a new falcon and is frustrated, be patient because in my opinion it is well worth the wait.

Also will post some decent pics in the showroom over the next few days. For now though here is a nice small one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ba_xr6.jpg (45.7 KB, 501 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2002, 05:57   #2 (permalink)
BA XR6 owner

so you havent taken it past 4000 RPM yet! what are you waiting for these babies are meant to be driven hard, dont worry about the run in i took mine to 190kph after only around 90km on the clock. I gotta disagree with you on the take-off. i feel that it has a second delay before the power kicks in. Its a heavy car and it needs a bit of momentum to get going but maybe it just feels that way because its so smooth because in no time your doing a 100km/h. anyway congrats on your car mate. happy drivin
bludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Congrads, champ!
nice write up!

ChuBBz = Jealous..
she's a beauty!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:07   #4 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by bludger
so you havent taken it past 4000 RPM yet! what are you waiting for these babies are meant to be driven hard, dont worry about the run in i took mine to 190kph after only around 90km on the clock. I gotta disagree with you on the take-off. i feel that it has a second delay before the power kicks in. Its a heavy car and it needs a bit of momentum to get going but maybe it just feels that way because its so smooth because in no time your doing a 100km/h. anyway congrats on your car mate. happy drivin
Hehehe now thats running a car in!

Yeah there is definatly a slight delay however then it really starts to move. In comparism to the old XR6 it actually seems to get going sooner. In the old XR6 you really needed a few revs on board then the power would build and build.

In the new BA there seems to be a slight hesitation then the power comes on very strong, more so than in the old XR6.

Really is one damn sweet motor.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:07   #5 (permalink)
Dreamer

looks very nice, glad your happy with the purchase

the 17s look so tiny in that picture, but its probably at that angle

bludger: are you happy posting your did 190km/hr with only 90km on the clock, i hope a ford employ sees you wrote that, when your engine goes kaput, its your fault and they dont have to fix it for free. you are supposed to run the engine in the correct way. Your money your life, dont go killing other people on publi roads.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:11   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Nice review and what a sweet car mate!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:47   #7 (permalink)
BA XR6 owner

these days everyone says that because how good engineering is that running in is not that important even though i do believe a car should be run in. anyway they handbook says that the car should be driven at all speeds during the run in period and you shoudnt drive at one speed for too long, so i guess i just chose a higher speed to run in at i dont condone speeding but you try driving 60ks in the brand spankin XR6 when your previous car was a VL, its not easy believe me, i need to fight with my foot to keep it off the accelerator.

Kids dont speed, i was just testing the car!
bludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:47   #8 (permalink)
Crikey

Thanks for the write-up XR6. I'm happy for you.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 14:04   #9 (permalink)
EFXR62

chubbz, when i tried to private message you about your wheels, it said i didn't have access to this page for some reason..

I have an EF XR6, and i want to get the tickford body kit and the same wheels as you.. are those wheels suitable for the EF XR6? How much was the body kit and wheels together?

Thanks,

Yagz
Old 11-14-2002, 15:28   #10 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

SO SORRY XR6VCT, for using your thread here...

i tried PM'ing you just then YAGz.. but an error screen came up saying you have chosen not to recieve private messages (maybe a MOD can fix that up for you)...

Bodykit cost me about 1 grand.. then you gotta paint it for about $300. Heard of people getting the kit cheaper though, so look around. Wheels are from "factory direct" in thomo, and were $2500 with king springs (but i think they are much cheaper these days). rims are called XLR's and suit pre-AU models.. they look terribly cheap unpolished.. polish em up for $250 a set.

Sorry once again XR6VCT, and other readers.

ChuBBz

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons

Related Reading: BA XR6 Impressions - Long