BA XR6 Turbo VS BA XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 20:59   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Lightbulb BA XR6 Turbo VS BA XR8

Guys i'm starting to somewhat wonder if ford have made a mistake with the power delivery of the BA XR6. My point is, being 240kw, and the BA XR8 being 260Kw, I can see the XR6 Turbo outselling the XR8 enormously just like the days of the EF/EL series XR's where the 6cyl out sold the V8, 3 to 1. With simple mods to the turbo, that car can push well past the XR8's capability in overall power and speed.

This is my opinion currently so what else are people thinking????
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2002, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Ford Parts Interpretor

Its cheaper and probably will sell heaps more than the XR8, but it still hasnt got the rumble of the V8 (that means a lot to the die-hards). Dont forget, you can mod an XR8 for more power too!
Old 11-11-2002, 21:14   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

So why is that a mistake?

I reckon Ford would be making better money on the homegrown XR6T rather than the US sourced V8's! They probably want to sell heaps of them.
Old 11-11-2002, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

it was disaster to them with the ef/el series where the 6 sold more. these days it comes down to money mate
but nothing beats the rumble of an 8
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I beleive that they will sell heaps more XR6T than they will XR8. but I beleive that the traditional WRX buyer will go for an XR6T. So It wont be Ford losing out, the XR8 will still sell to it's projected target market, but the XR6T will take the 6 cylinder to a whole new market.

I personally would have the XR6T. For the same price give me the 8, but as much as I like V8s, I would prefer a home made Turbo 6. Give me a classic V8 beast (XB Coupe) as a weekender though.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:29   #6 (permalink)

Im a bit confused. Why is it a disaster if the XR6T outsells the XR8? (Which im sure it will)
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:07   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

how can anything be a mistake when ford sells cars??
Ford sells more XR6T's that XR8s...winner - ford
Ford sells more XR8's that XR6Ts ..winner - ford

As I see it... it's a no lose situation... unless they don't sell either .. but I can't see that happening!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:15   #8 (permalink)
FF Moderator

In the FPV discussions forum, by an experience member that I understood to have personnelly seen the XR8 and XR6T in full flight, it was claimed that the XR8 was at least 2 car lengths infront of XR6T from 0-100. The XR6T was claimed however to be the sweeter steerer. The XR8 basically cleaned up the turbo in a straight line on the twisties was a different matter.
The XR8 noise and torque however was somthing to die for and since the SS is almost lineball with the turbo's speed from 0-100, owning an XR8 will be a very rewarding experience for Ford V8 fans.

The point being, there is somthing special and individual for both models unlike the EB,ED and EF days. IMO both will sell well within their own target markets. The biggest problem Ford have created is which one to choose!!!

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:57   #9 (permalink)
On The Edge Of Adhesion

I don't think Ford has made too many mistakes so far with the BA. Apart from having such a long wait for being able to get XR6T's and esp XR8's. Oh and if the XR8's don't come with 18" mags standard (hey if the SS gets them standard for a $50k car, why not the XR8).
V8RUMBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:41   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CDAA
In the FPV discussions forum, by an experience member that I understood to have personnelly seen the XR8 and XR6T in full flight, it was claimed that the XR8 was at least 2 car lengths infront of XR6T from 0-100. The XR6T was claimed however to be the sweeter steerer. The XR8 basically cleaned up the turbo in a straight line on the twisties was a different matter.
I doubt this very much. I think you will find that the XR8 will get times of around 5.7 - 5.8 at best from 0-100, with the turbo doing about 6 flat. I still will not be suprised if the turbo is faster 0-100 though. XR8 20kw more and heavier. XR6T lighter and that output of torque is bloody awesome. It doesnt really make sense that the XR8 would beat the 6T by 2 car lengths to 100. There is no doubt that the XR6T will be a faster car everywhere else though, rolling starts, out of corners etc.
MartyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons