BA XR8 Clutch Dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2004, 00:33   #1 (permalink)

BA XR8 Clutch Dramas

Has anyone out there had any problems with their clutch in a BA XR8?
I've got 17,000kms on my ute and the clutch is slipping real bad and whenever I pull up at the lights I can smell burnin clutch.
The problem I've got though is I have a few mods (full herrod exhaust, cai, sure shifter) and the dealer wont cover it for warranty, he says that the factory clutch wasn't supposed to handle that much power (i'd be suprised if it had 230rwkw!).
Anyone got any suggestions? If they won't cover it under warranty whats a good aftermarket clutch I should be looking at, and where do you get them?
lightening ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2004, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Re: BA XR8 Clutch Dramas

The problem I've got though is I have a few mods (full herrod exhaust, cai, sure shifter) and the dealer wont cover it for warranty, he says that the factory clutch wasn't supposed to handle that much power (i'd be suprised if it had 230rwkw!).
Anyone got any suggestions? If they won't cover it under warranty whats a good aftermarket clutch I should be looking at, and where do you get them?

Sounds like the dealer is shafting you. The dealership in Parramatta, NSW told me that Herrod stuff is covered as per normal Ford warranty. Why would they shaft you for fitting parts they take on.

BTW is it the same gearbox as the GT ? If so I'm guessing that you have less power than a GT and if its the same box then they should have no argument to knock back your clutch problem. It wouldn't be "overpowered" as the dealer has said.

I'd do some more research on this before going aftermarket and giving them a legit reason to knock you back coz u didn't see them first.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
[I]
BTW is it the same gearbox as the GT ? If so I'm guessing that you have less power than a GT and if its the same box then they should have no argument to knock back your clutch problem. It wouldn't be "overpowered" as the dealer has said.

I'd do some more research on this before going aftermarket and giving them a legit reason to knock you back coz u didn't see them first.
Its the same model gearbox (i believe) but its just been strengthened, and the clutch is different (i believe again).

However you are right, the dealer is being an absolute tool for knocking you back.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
Movin!

Mine has 240rwkw and no clutch dramas, after 27,000km's and a few drag outings, although it did smoke a bit last week at heathcote (which was my fault)

Do you ride it much on taking off or changing gears?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:09   #5 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

I know, I know, mine is not an XR8. But....

I am about to be on my 3rd clutch. Just about to hit 20 000km. First one went at 13 000km and this one has just gone at 19 600. Gearbox leaked oil into the clutch on the first one.

I have a Unichip fitted. Took it to one dealer (where I bought it) and they chucked wobblies. Asked the guys who fitted my chip and they sent me to another dealer across town who is mod friendly (and who sells Herrod modified Ts and XR8s). They rebuilt it with no dramas despite knowing about the chip. And yes, I did take it out, but they still knew.

Their attitude was that 1) there was not a substantial enough power increase that they would think would create problems as a result of the chip, 2) the fault was clearly not power related with gearbox leaking oil and 3) as long as I took the chip out when I brought it down they were happy - in case there are some Ford people running around the workshop coz they would get in the shit for working on it if they saw the chip.... now this doesnt solve your problem coz your mods are not removable.

But if one dealer f***s you around, then try some others, or contact those who do/did the mods and see what dealers they recommend - they always know which ones are anal and which ones over look some mods.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
Its the same model gearbox (i believe) but its just been strengthened, and the clutch is different (i believe again).

However you are right, the dealer is being an absolute tool for knocking you back.
Gearbox is exactly the same, i'm pretty sure clutch is the same as XR8 too.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 17:57   #7 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

My clutch has been fine. 18k and running...

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 21:23   #8 (permalink)
walking power

Mine seems to shudder a bit when it gets hot but nothing to worry about....yet...
But if you want an aftermarket one you may want to try the Mal woods one as the Doc has on his GT.
Old 08-21-2004, 00:38   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guy's, sounds like I might have to lean on this dealer a bit harder! The funny thing is it just got really bad all of a sudden, so I'd be suprised if its just worn out. Its not as if I really flog it either.
lightening ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons

Related Reading: BA XR8 Clutch Dramas