Ford Forums banner

BA XR8 - Dissapointing test drive

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  rod c 
#1 ·
Since the company I work for looks like it might finally be getting its stuff together and having a vehicle policy, she who must be obeyed and myself went to our friendly Ford dealer this morning and took a BA XR8 for a drive. After we had been for a bit of a run we compared notes and I was somewhat surprised when she got out and said "that thing is a bit gutless". My impressions from the drive were that it rode and handled very well but was way short on torque. We drove a 200 Kw AU XR8 when they were current and I felt that it had more grunt than the BA. To be fair the BA did seem to accelerate pretty smoothly and being an auto it didnt have the sensation of acceleration that you get when changing gears. Has anyone else had the same experience ?
The upside was that she suggested when I mentioned that the GT has an extra 30 Kw that we had better get one of those instead as the 2 GTs they had on the floor were a much nicer looking vehicle.
Can anyone who has a GT tell me if they have substantially more torque?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Regds,
Tote

#2 ·
I think that the auto XR8 is like the auto GT they both are apperently much slower than a manual version if you are after a manual :wnc: then test drive a manual, mum certainly doesn't find her xr8 "GUTLESS" :AAHHH: also in regard to the torque all ba Boss motors suffer with a slugish torque down low in the rev's i hope i have helped.

#3 ·
I have also heard the current engines take 5000kms+ to settle. Every person i've spoken to said after 3-4 months their cars were going way, way harder than when first delivered.

But as I don't own one, this is just what i've heard.

#4 ·
A GT/GT-P has a bit more down low and LOTS further up.
With the test drive, if it is new it will be tight and no feel as strong as it will eventually get.

To test torque, if it is a manual, put it in 3rd at 40km/h which is about 1000rpm them plant it...
It will pull like a train to about 150km/h (of course you will do this on a race track :wnc: ).
If it is an auto, do the same locked in 2nd.

The basic diff between GT & XR8.
Brakes, engine, wheels, bodykit/badges, seats, diff ratio.

GT & GT-P

Brakes, wheels, climate control, steering wheel, seats, free stripes, free auto, free adj pedals for auto, floor mats.

XR8 50k
XR8 with prem brakes & 18s 56k
GT 60k
GT with brembos, momo, stripes, auto etc $69k
GT-P 70k
GT-P with the goodies (ala beast), dead cow, sat nav $80k

all prices are plus ORE but inc LCT

If you are a few bob short, there are a number of GTs and GT-Ps that are dealer demos that are a bit cheaper. There is a Blueprint manual with cow one up here.

#5 ·
Having test driven the BA XR8 with the SSS I do share your sentiments. The one I test drove had just 42km on the odo. IMO it was a pig of a thing to drive compared to my AU.

But having said that, if it had several thou km on the odo I certainly would be drawing very different conclusions.

#6 ·
Tote said:
Since the company I work for looks like it might finally be getting its stuff together and having a vehicle policy, she who must be obeyed and myself went to our friendly Ford dealer this morning and took a BA XR8 for a drive. After we had been for a bit of a run we compared notes and I was somewhat surprised when she got out and said "that thing is a bit gutless".

The upside was that she suggested when I mentioned that the GT has an extra 30 Kw that we had better get one of those instead as the 2 GTs they had on the floor were a much nicer looking vehicle.
Tote
Does your wife have a sister who's single????????????????????

#7 ·
They take at least 2000k's before they start making good power. A mate at work traded his XR Turbo in on an XR8 and said it was so gutless when he first picked it up but with more k's on it now he is really happy with it. As for the auto being slower than the manual that is absolute crap as my auto XR8 ran 14.2 at Calder last night which is quicker than all the times i've seen for manual XR8's and mines stock. In comparison a manual GT was running flat 14's. They do seem a little sluggish off the line though but what do you expect with a tall first gear and 1800kg to haul around.

#9 ·
hi Tote, the BA is defiantly not short on torque the BA XR8 has:
Maximum power 260kW @ 5250rpm
Power (kW) 260
Maximum torque 500Nm @ 4250rpm
Torque (Nm) 500
the GT has:
Maximum power 290kW @ 5500rpm
Power (kW) 290
Maximum torque 520Nm @ 4500rpm
Torque (Nm) 520
compared that torque to,
Holdens 260 (kw) Gen 3 made about 476Nm torque.

#10 ·
XRFPV8 said:
hi Tote, the BA is defiantly not short on torque the BA XR8 has:
Maximum power 260kW @ 5250rpm
Power (kW) 260
Maximum torque 500Nm @ 4250rpm
Torque (Nm) 500
the GT has:
Maximum power 290kW @ 5500rpm
Power (kW) 290
Maximum torque 520Nm @ 4500rpm
Torque (Nm) 520
compared that torque to,
Holdens 260 (kw) Gen 3 made about 476Nm torque.
Not to mention that the GT produces 400Nm from just 1000rpm, I don't think the XR8 can do this, but it may come close.

#12 ·
xacoupe said:
The smoothness of the engine can make it feel slower than it is.. but the granny gearing doesn't help.
Exactly - and let's not forget the "cotton wool" tune of the drive-by-wire system in the autos as well. Ford have done a great job in ensuring they receive minimal warranty claims for any BA with a Boss engine!

Doughy throttle response = Ford saving the precious drivetrain :wnc:

#14 ·
Mr_XR said:
I test drove the auto (only one the dealer had) and was VERY dissappointed ...... i then had the offer from another dealer to take a manual for a drive and was impressed to the point of ordering one...... do yourself a favour and take the manual for a spin!
I'll second that. The manual is very much a different car. I did the same as Mr_XR and now have an XR8 manual sitting in the driveway.

Daniel

#15 ·
94ED_Fairmont said:
Not to mention that the GT produces 400Nm from just 1000rpm, I don't think the XR8 can do this, but it may come close.
I heard the xr8 produces 400nm @ 2000rpm, so I can't understand how you can get 400nm @ 1000 rpm out of a GT!! I found my Ba xr8 ute (auto) to be a bit sluggish when new but with 5000ks it has certainly loosened up a lot but still is gutless down low. I had a 200kw xr ute (auto) and to compare it to the 260 and say it has more grunt, well all I can say you must have a short memory.
I also went for a run in a BA GT (manual) Ford were sending around to the dealers for test drives and I could'nt see what the big deal was in the performance of that car. I have driven GTHOs that feel like they would blow any of them off!!!

#17 ·
Guys,

I find it very frustrating that people are bagging the XR8...I just don't see why? From all accounts the car just gets better and better with more Kms on the clock, and it really doesn't show its full potential until +10,000 Kms. My experience reinforces this, because I drove 3 XR8s from various dealers and each felt different from a "power down" perspective.

The 1st two only had around 100ks and 300ks respectively on the clock. They were brand new tight donks and you could really tell and feel it. The last one had +3000ks on the clock, and that one felt heaps better and more gutsy. The sound also seemed to be deeper and with a much better note. It was great to drive and had substancially more grunt than the other two.

Anyway, I reckon that the XR8 is a vastly superior car to the SS in terms of comfort, handling and ride. Power wise they are pretty close(IMO the XR has a bit more grunt), but the XR just gives me more confidence on the road, esp. at speed.

Tote, heres my original post to this forum re my experiences with both the SS and the XR8....definitely the manual makes a big difference.

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=49749

Cheers...J.

#19 ·
Rod,

Not yet mate....I still haven't picked up my car yet. The dealer rang me last Thurs saying that the car had only arrived here in Adelaide late on Wed, so wouldn't be ready until Wed this week...have resolved to pick it up on Saturday morning.

I have been for a walk down to D&T...One of the guys who works there has a BA XR6 that has had the full treatment done to it(lowered/exhaust)...sounds great for a six. He actually took me for a ride in it....those things get up and go! I didn't think that a six had that much grunt...got a surprise.

Anyway, am seriously considering the system. I am just concerned a little about the warranty issues...I will discuss that with the dealer when I pick up my car.

If I go ahead, I will let you guys know what its like.

Cheers...J.

#20 ·
When I took a manual BA XR8 for a test drive, I must admit I didn't experience the "cream in the pants" sensation that I expected a 57% ish power increase on my car would produce. It is a slightly heavier beast and in all honesty was an infant (from memory had done low 100's). It would be exciting to feel and hear a boss after 3 or 4 k on it!

#22 ·
Parents XR8 hit 10K today still not a problem and they couldn't be happyer also BOSSXR8 didn't mean to affend just stateing what i had read and seen on these forums before sorry mate let's put aside either Auto or Manual they are both in one of the most awsome cars ford has brought out lately the BA Boss XR8 the coolest car ford have brought out since the old GT's

Excluding FPV's they are awesome

#23 ·
JoeG said:
Not yet mate....I still haven't picked up my car yet.

If I go ahead, I will let you guys know what its like.
Thanks Joe, it will be interesting to hear what they say about your warranty. I can't see it making any differance to your warranty if you just get the cats back system but I have been wrong before. LOL.

Good luck mate with the delivery I know you will be happy with it, as I have said before don't expect to much grunt when you first get your xr8 but with the passing of every k it really does improve dramatically. Still not much grunt down low though (3000rpm down). I got a tip of my dealer when I first picked my ute up and Rob Herrod told him the first 500 ks where important as far as running them in, just take it easy no unnecessary racing of the engine at all. (not over 3500-4000rpm).
Good luck,
Rod.

#24 ·
well i test drove the xr8 manual and a GT-P auto
the GT-P made the XR8 seem like a whimps car
at 100ks the auto GT-P pulled like a steam train when you put the foot down, and even when it was still in 4th
in the manual XR8, its gutless when u put the foot down in 5th, and still wasnt nearly as good as the GT-P when droping it down to 4th
i think its safe to say that the extra 20nm are VERY noticable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.