BA XR8 documentation typos!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 03:05   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down BA XR8 documentation typos!! The official answer. A "must read".

Began prepping for the first service, the "peace-of-mind" one before 5000 kms or 4 mths.

Never liked the idea of keeping the run-in oil and filter for 15000 kms, and began looking for a synthetic oil rated SJ / CF4 or better, in the owner's "Service Schedule Guide" as a 15W-40/50 grade.

Although living in a small market, I didn't expect the hassle that would ensue.

My first pick of a Motul ester base struck out, as 6100 15W-40 is not imported here any longer. A search found nothing suitable in Mobil-1 or Castrol-R, but Shell Helix Ultra looked OK.

Booked the service date by phone, checked that they had the "right oil" in stock.

First service day arrives, a debate with reception's view that oil / fliter change were not necessary, then none of the right oil in stock but apprentice will go fetch "right oil" from local stockist.

Further debate with technician as he suggests Castrol 10W-40, coz their BA training manual states 10W-30. Nope I state, that must be a typo... but it is what the later T series used.
Turns out that this is the 1st BA XR8 they have done a change on, and my manual states 15W-40/50, so apprentice will go fetch "right oil" from local stockist. Then no local stock is found!

Technician suggests BP Vanellus 15W-40. Nope I state, that is not synthetic, so forget the oil change for now.

Reception corrects typo in my manual... oil refill capacity is 6.2 litres and not 5.5 litres as printed in my owner's "Service Schedule Guide". Suggested that the typo may be in the New Zealand version of the guide, and maybe not in the Australian version.

Reception promises to order in Shell Helix Ultra 15W-40/50 and phone me.

Toddle off down the road, sadly understanding of the dealership, bemused over the thought that the "Service Schedule Guide" should be subject to recall!... now, does the engine feel more zippy... did they flash the EMS?

Now wondering what engine oil grade and capacity is actually right in all this mess!

Last edited by Reborn; 06-19-2003 at 02:01.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2003, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Sounds like a good one for russellw, maybe try firing off a PM to him!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:32   #3 (permalink)

reborn

from what info l have correct oil grade is 10w-30
ralfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:29   #4 (permalink)

Ralfy's right Reborn. From the Ford Tech Training Information for BA XR8 & GT it states:

XR8 Boss 260kw Oil Specification 10w30 (capacity not stated)
GT,GT-P,Pursuit Boss 290kw Oil Specification Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w40 (capacity not stated)
Old 06-19-2003, 01:10   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs down The official answer. A "must read".

So, being the compulsive-obsessive type I am, I phone FoMoCo NZ for the "good oil".

The response to the oil grade question was...

The "first" release of the "Ford Tech Training Information" is WRONG! (It was printed before the XR8 was released), and 10W-30 oil applies to N/A XR6, and not the the turbo 6 or XR8.

Both 3 and 4 valve versions of the V8 should use 15W-40/50. ie. the "Ford Tech Training Information" is typoed, and the owner's "Service Schedule Guide" is correct.

The response to the capacity question is currently...

"We don't know and are verifying. We think it closer to 6 litres than 5.5 litres... so fill with 5.5 litres, and top up to the dip stick mark". So I guess that the "Service Schedule Guide" is typoed, and the "Ford Tech Training Information" of 6.2 litres is correct.

My response is "don't believe what you read", Mickey Duck!... and waiting for the warranty / legal debacles. How can something so basic in the way of "product information" become so miscommunicated to owners and the distribution channel?

John

Last edited by Reborn; 06-19-2003 at 01:14.
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:52   #6 (permalink)

Re: BA XR8 documentation typos!!

After intense investigation i have discovered the following information regarding the correct oil specifications and quantities:

In the first issue of the BA Warranty and Service guides there were 2 missprinted items that were incorrect.
1/The refill capacities of some of the engines were incorectly stated.The correct capacities and specifications are:
N/A I6 Specification WSS-M2C910-A2(10w30) Refill capacity 6.5ltrs incl filter(They actually take 6.3)
I6T Specification WSE-M2C905-A(15w40) Refill capacity 7.0ltrs incl filter (They actually take 6.4 unless you drain the oil cooler and lines)
DLPG 6 Specification WSE-M2C905-A(15w40) Refill capacity 6.5ltrs incl filter(They actually take 6.3)
V8 3v & 4v XR8 Specification WSS-M2C910-A2(10w30) Refill capacity 6.2ltrs (They actually take 6.2ltrs)

Note that the 3V V8 & 4V XR8 are the same specification oil as the N/A I6.The oil Specification was not a miss print.Only the capacities.
As stated in the Ford XR8 & GT Technical training reference material:The 3V V8 and the XR8 260kw engine have the same specification oil.This is also stated in the Engine specification section of the workshop manuals.
Contact with the Ford Dealer Technical Service (Dealer Only Service)confirmed this to be true.They also stated that to thier knowledge the oil specification for any of the vehicles listed in the Warranty and Service info books has ever been an issue.

The second missprint was the A/C refrigerant capacity.It was originally printed as 850gm and is in fact 650gm.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:10   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Just to complete the oil specs here is the GT set:

0W-40 Mobil 1 - capacity 6.3 litres.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:12   #8 (permalink)

Question Re: BA XR8 documentation typos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech65
After intense investigation i have discovered the following information regarding the correct oil specifications and quantities:

In the first issue of the BA Warranty and Service guides there were 2 missprinted items that were incorrect.
1/The refill capacities of some of the engines were incorectly stated.The correct capacities and specifications are:
N/A I6 Specification WSS-M2C910-A2(10w30) Refill capacity 6.5ltrs incl filter(They actually take 6.3)
I6T Specification WSE-M2C905-A(15w40) Refill capacity 7.0ltrs incl filter (They actually take 6.4 unless you drain the oil cooler and lines)
DLPG 6 Specification WSE-M2C905-A(15w40) Refill capacity 6.5ltrs incl filter(They actually take 6.3)
V8 3v & 4v XR8 Specification WSS-M2C910-A2(10w30) Refill capacity 6.2ltrs (They actually take 6.2ltrs)

Note that the 3V V8 & 4V XR8 are the same specification oil as the N/A I6.The oil Specification was not a miss print.Only the capacities.
As stated in the Ford XR8 & GT Technical training reference material:The 3V V8 and the XR8 260kw engine have the same specification oil.This is also stated in the Engine specification section of the workshop manuals.
Contact with the Ford Dealer Technical Service (Dealer Only Service)confirmed this to be true.They also stated that to thier knowledge the oil specification for any of the vehicles listed in the Warranty and Service info books has ever been an issue.

The second missprint was the A/C refrigerant capacity.It was originally printed as 850gm and is in fact 650gm.
FordTech65:

We agree in that the BA 260 V8 capacity shown in the Service Guide should have read 6.2ltrs.

Now I am confused, about the oil grade. As stated in my earlier post, after contacting Ford Dealer Technical Service at Ford Motor Co NZ, they stated that Service Guide was typoed also, in that the BA 260 V8 spec should be 15W-40/50.

Who is correct?
Old 07-03-2003, 14:18   #9 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTech65
V8 3v & 4v XR8 Specification WSS-M2C910-A2(10w30) Refill capacity 6.2ltrs (They actually take 6.2ltrs).
10w30. This is also what a colleague in engine development at FPV confirmed for me.
Old 07-03-2003, 14:38   #10 (permalink)

Still none the wiser with the grade??
I had oil & filter changed at 7000 ks on my 290 at dealer. When I inquired as to whether synthetic was being used, they informed me, "semi synthetic" based oil ( Is there such a thing?) until 15000, Then go the full synthetic! Yet on the filler cap it states "0-40w Mobil 1 Synthetic factory fill"... Just wish they'd find one that'd stop the cold startup racket that takes place most mornings? ( cam chain tensioners? Pffttt!!)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons