BA XR8 engine knock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 20:17   #1 (permalink)

BA XR8 engine knock

Hey there. Has anyone run into a deep down engine knock with the BA boss 260. Mine has done this since new. It will make what sounds like piston slap in the bore type noises until the engine is warm. This noise carries on past first startup until I believe the motor expands from heat at it goes away. This is worst on morning startup.

The local dealer reckons they can hear nothing. At the last service (15k) the dealer finally heard the noise but after the car warmed up, they reckon it's too small to fix. Any advice/ideas or members who have the same problem? Will this get worse or is it known thing with the boss motors and nothing to worry about?
booner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Re: BA XR8 engine knock

hi booner, welcome to the FF, Take it another dealer leave it there over night so its cooled right down, get them to start it in the morning when the engine is cold, then they will hear what you are talking about..
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Good advise from Mark. If it is definately knocking noise then take it to another dealer.

From memory the BOSS engines can suffer from excessive valve train noise (their are alot a valves in their plus a couple of cams!!). It can be louder when cold but it's nothing to worry about and very common.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 21:27   #4 (permalink)
FRITZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by booner
Hey there. Has anyone run into a deep down engine knock with the BA boss 260. Mine has done this since new. It will make what sounds like piston slap in the bore type noises until the engine is warm. This noise carries on past first startup until I believe the motor expands from heat at it goes away. This is worst on morning startup.

The local dealer reckons they can hear nothing. At the last service (15k) the dealer finally heard the noise but after the car warmed up, they reckon it's too small to fix. Any advice/ideas or members who have the same problem? Will this get worse or is it known thing with the boss motors and nothing to worry about?
my mums ba xr8 does the same thing. we did alow them to ceap it over night and they still couldent hear it. it started doing it about 12000km it has now done 27000km and hasnt got better or worse
fritzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 23:10   #5 (permalink)

Its the timming chain !!!!!!!!!!!
Australia,s 1st V8 muscle car
BA PURSUIT Citric Acid ,leather,manual,premium,stripes
99 Harley Davidson Springer softail custom :badass
4 sale
Genuine 5 slots painted centers NEW chrome rims 14x6 &14x7 new potenza tyres & genuine caps
$3000.00
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 00:27   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
hi booner, welcome to the FF, Take it another dealer leave it there over night so its cooled right down, get them to start it in the morning when the engine is cold, then they will hear what you are talking about..
I did this. They still didn't hear it. I think they didn't drive the car. The sound isn't there at idle. The car must be put under load.
booner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

roll Re: BA XR8 engine knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by booner
I did this. They still didn't hear it. I think they didn't drive the car. The sound isn't there at idle. The car must be put under load.
Here we go again! Mate if you can hear it they can too. Take it to another dealer, I know it's a pain in the bum, but don't let up on them, there must be something wrong if there is a pistonslap type sound comeing out of the motor. The Boss motors are very smooth & quiet running so if it's knocking it's knocking, Get them to fix it. I hope you get it right....
Cheers ..............
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:16   #8 (permalink)

Piston slap? Check that your car isn't fitted with a 5.7 Gen 3 by accident.
micmansour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 14:19   #9 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Its the timming chain !!!!!!!!!!!

On my XR8 the timing chain rattle only lasted for a few seconds on start up, sometimes, and that's because the seals had let the oil leak out after the car had been standing for a period of time.
The sound was a rattle, not a deep down engine knock as described.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:35   #10 (permalink)
Australian AU Member

CALL FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE
ask for ALEX
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons