BA XR8 gearbox noise (not shunt) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

Question BA XR8 gearbox noise (not shunt)

Howdy,

Was driving home this morning, thinking that i should book the ute in for it's 15,000 km service for the start of December when i realised that i could hear a noise when i was shifting down gears. Stupid irony.

The ute is a manual, 5 speed, and i can hear a definite metallic scrapping noise when i shift down from all gears and it will continue if i let the car roll. It goes when i accelerate but comes back when i back off. There isn't any clunks or anything like that. It's still smooth (well coming from a 5 speed manual EA falcon i think it's smooth), but it definitely sounds like a metallic scrapping noise.

The ute hasn't been driven hard. It rarely goes over 4k revs. Doesn't tow anything. About 50/50 freeway/city type driving.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 20:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA XR8 gearbox noise (not shunt)

Well i took it to the dealer today and one of the mechanics came for a test drive with me. He thinks it's weird and hasn't heard it before but it sounds like some sort of loose bracket. He also heard the same noise whenever i drive over a bump after i asked him to listen to that noise too and reckons they could be related.

It goes in Wednesday so i'll find out more then i guess.
Old 11-12-2004, 21:08   #3 (permalink)

Re: BA XR8 gearbox noise (not shunt)

Got the car ute back Wednesday arvo to be told that 2 bolts had come off the sump guard that i had fitted as an option. Apparently there are 2 bolts at the front that i'd never seen, whereas along the length of the guard it just has small clips. Two new bolts in place and no noise so i'm a happy camper.

So if you've got the sump guard fitted and hear funny noises over bumps of when changing gears check it out i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons